Top of games voting site virus alert

Name says it all
nocturne7saint
Elder Scribe

Top of games voting site virus alert

Post by nocturne7saint »

So one of the voting sites for today was "top of games" and when i went onto the page my anti virus alerted me of a virus coming from that page.

please remove this site from the voting sites on the main page.
blackstone from the ILV guild
Eremite
Grandmaster Scribe

Re: Top of games voting site virus alert

Post by Eremite »

It was likely one of the ads that was on the site. Do you have an ad blocker in your browser? If not, I'd highly recommend one - ads on the internet are the main vectors of infection from browsers.

Here's a plugin that works with most browsers: https://ublockorigin.com/
Or you can use Brave which has adblock built in: https://brave.com/
Uforek
Novice Scribe

Post by Uforek »

nocturne7saint wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:17 pm
So one of the voting sites for today was "top of games" and when i went onto the page my anti virus alerted me of a virus coming from that page.

please remove this site from the voting sites on the main page.
It's likely that the source was blacklisted by your antivirus for suspicious activity, like distributing malicious files, or whatever. Most modern browsers have automatic updates, so it's highly unlikely an advertisement will do any harm to your machine. Don't open files from unknown sources! Easy, right?
nocturne7saint
Elder Scribe

Post by nocturne7saint »

same website, you might want to pull it from the vote list so people don't get infected.
nocturne7saint
Elder Scribe

Post by nocturne7saint »

nocturne7saint wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 7:56 pm

same website, you might want to pull it from the vote list so people don't get infected.
and i have ad blocker, but still getting this
Cerrera
Legendary Scribe

Post by Cerrera »

mhm am not shure didn't i accidentally opened that voting site after your warning. I use only windows own antimaware tools, which is told as (not too good if something is inside, and protects only their own browser's) so guessing they don't care about explorer also anymore. using it for voting. If understand correctly,(but info in net is much and sometimes contradictory) that thing is something like rootkit.
Eremite
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Eremite »

Ran it through a couple security scanners online and they don't seem to think much of it. Sucuri is complaining about the backend being out of date (apache versions, etc) but that's more of a risk for the site operator than people visiting:

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/url/831e ... 7b7ab443f3
https://sitecheck.sucuri.net/results/topofgames.com

That popup is from Avast - not super familiar with that AV program, but I'm going to guess that the [Susp] tag means "Suspicious" - not confirmed bad, but Avast doesn't like something about it and blocked it. The request is also to a different site (hugedomains{dot}com) and that's what's being blocked.

If you want to be extra cautious, you can just not vote on that one specific site and you can still get the rewards from the voting stone.
Cerrera
Legendary Scribe

Post by Cerrera »

Ty for info. In my case, i can only vote in specific sites, cause most of them says, go away, we don't like outdated browsers. Dont want to use edge, cause it was suspicious for me, by running some processes, when i even didn't launched it :D.
nocturne7saint
Elder Scribe

Post by nocturne7saint »

This website popped up on the daily voting list again, forgot all about it until I opened it and got the virus alert.

tell me why this is still on the list? i guess the admin does not even know about this? is there any way to get a hold of them about this?
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

Yeah I agree that this is likely from an advertisement, but since the domain mentioned is "hugedomains.com", maybe it's an advertising partner that went out of business. I think it's safe to say that this is a false positive.
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)