cool 2023 UO article in MIT Technology Review

Name says it all
culichi
Legendary Scribe

cool 2023 UO article in MIT Technology Review

Post by culichi »

https://www.technologyreview.com/2023/0 ... ket-newtab

its behind a paywall but you should be able to read one free article there before they demand moneys
Geriatric
Legendary Scribe

Re: cool 2023 UO article in MIT Technology Review

Post by Geriatric »

its a very interesting read but i wanted to pull this part out
Yet it was quickly dawning on Origin that it was no longer merely a tech company. It was a government. And before long, that government presided over a population of more than 100,000 subscribers
ive actually made reference before that +C is the dictator of excelsior, benevolent though he may be, he still has the final say, and he put in the hard work, he has that right
but im certainly glad he interacts with the community the way he does and takes the time to listen to grievances
patrix
Elder Scribe

Post by patrix »

Thanks culi for a very interesting read. I have met some great like-minded people on here and though I'm not playing much these days I like to keep up with shard news and views e.g. the balron farming dilemma, I will be fascinated to see if it is ever resolved. :roll:
Michi
Michiko in game

A woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle..
Irina Dunn
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Post by Wil »

Yup. That's why I quit the beta after it became clear that PvP would continue to be core to the game. The litany of disaster and frustration that followed was the inevitable result of that decision and as I had no desire to -be- one of the PK's, I didn't want any part of it.

I do, however, have to challenge the notion that UO was the first simulated world graphical MMO. The first preceded it by a decade: a 1985 partnership between Lucasfilm Games and the company that would later become America Online produced a game called Habitat. If you're old enough to have played Maniac Mansion or any of the Monkey Island games, imagine an expanded version of that with hundreds of players at once. In fact, Maniac Mansion was literally a stripped down version of the Habitat client.
https://frandallfarmer.github.io/neohabitat-doc/docs/
Johnny Warren
Legendary Scribe

Post by Johnny Warren »

Very interesting read. Thanks for the link culichi.
JOHNNY WARREN!