Variable recall cooldown

Name says it all
Kairoz
Apprentice Scribe

Re: Variable recall cooldown

Post by Kairoz »

i think its time for this discursion to end :?
Nick
Legendary Scribe
Location: PA native, liveing in NC right now Moveing to TX in march

Post by Nick »

If I was shard god I would have every transportation spell/method you use add a 5 second "penalty" cool down timer to your account (Kinda like a old school murder count) before you can use another... and the 5 second blocks are cumulative and every 5 min 1 "penalty" is removed. Very little inconvenience for people actually playing the game... destroy most hands free rune/rune book hunting, mining, runic tool farming, arrow/leather/cloth farming for resale. When I recall around buying arrows, just rune spot hunting ill hit 40 spots in under 3 min. with a 5 second penalty that would change to well over an hour... its a elegant fix that would be a massive control on inflation...

I think the actual problem is transportation spells and how fast they let you farm all resources which means you stop playing the game and just watch your scripts to see if you get an AFK check. Writing them a proofing them are fun... but, I just run them while I watch Netflix or run on my treadmill when I actually play the game I am either in felc running around as a half naked newb ganking trolls and orcs... or I'm playing adult Minecraft with yard items as the end game of this shard is intended to be....

and Umm... I have a razor script that does the exact same thing with about 90% efficacy that I have been offering for free to anyone for the last few years... intent of making lots of bally famers to dilute the gold stream so it not just one person making 5+ mil a day... and spiking inflation.
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Post by Wil »

Nick wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:23 pm
When I recall around buying arrows, just rune spot hunting ill hit 40 spots in under 3 min. with a 5 second penalty that would change to well over an hour... its a elegant fix that would be a massive control on inflation...
When I recall around by hand using only the Razor buy agent, I hit the same 40 spots in only a little more time. Gratuitously impeding me to more than an hour is just about the opposite of elegant. In order to stand the sheer tedium, I'd have to script it with the right delays and throw it in another window while watching Netflix.

On the plus side, with exex prices increasing for the impacted resources and my process newly automated, I'd stand to make a little coin. Inflationary and still the opposite of elegant but at least I'd personally come out ahead.
Nick
Legendary Scribe
Location: PA native, liveing in NC right now Moveing to TX in march

Post by Nick »

[/quote]
When I recall around by hand using only the Razor buy agent, I hit the same 40 spots in only a little more time. Gratuitously impeding me to more than an hour is just about the opposite of elegant. In order to stand the sheer tedium, I'd have to script it with the right delays and throw it in another window while watching Netflix.
[/quote]

We clearly differ in opinion... I think its practically elegant because it targets all forms regardless of client use or lack there of.... I think the travel spells is the basis of the problem... hitting 40 points in 3-5 min is what needs nurffed doing it by hand or by script doesn't really matter to me...

ive mined tens of thousands of plat runic tinker kits/blacksmith, ive bought a few million arrows and cloth, I've bally/lurg/lizard slug/just random dragons because no one else kills them rune hunted for thousands of hours... all hands free... yes, its what lets me buy 100s of millions worth of yard items... writing the scripts are fun... but, running the scripts isn't me playing... its just something I do in the back ground while I watch tv or work out... and that really shouldn't be a thing honestly IMO....
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Post by Wil »

Nick wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:45 pm
I think its practically elegant because it targets all forms regardless of client use or lack there of.
Let me tell you a story about the Golden Pony. Two years ago, the Golden Pony spawned every 5 days and 22 hours plus 0 to 60 minutes. I had it timed out. Somewhere around half the time, I was there when the Pony spawned and I tamed it. The rest of the time I either forgot to set my alarm or another player had asked me about the Golden Pony and I told them when to show up. Why not? I'd just get the next one.

Then someone complained. The pony was never there when they ran by. It was unfair. So, +C made it more fair: he changed the spawn timer to 5 days plus 0 to 2 days.

I haven't missed a Golden Pony since August. I'm basically getting all of them now. Why is that?

It's a question of investment. When the spawn window was 1 hour, it cost me nothing to skip a week. Sometimes it would have cost me more not to. With a two-day spawn window, I can't be so casual. If I want to continue my deco project with the golden ponies I have to camp it every week or I lose all track of when it will spawn. No one else has been willing to camp it long enough to catch the spawn. And after investing that much time camping, of course I'm going to follow through and tame it. It's fair I guess. If anyone else was willing to put in the effort, they could have it instead.

+C thought to equalize the spawn by increasing the cost of the activity. But since someone was willing to pay the cost, it had the opposite affect: it restricted the activity, in the Golden Pony's case down to a single player.

You think increasing the fast travel cost will equalize things for players? I guarantee you're wrong. Guarantee it. I can't predict the exact way that it will backfire but I've been around this block before and this sort of cure is almost always worse than the disease.

I don't agree with Muolke's suggestion to just statically reduce the balron gold drop. But he has one thing 100% right: fix it with changes to the spawns, not changes to core game mechanics.

As for the Golden Pony, I'd personally prefer +C change the timer back and let the situation return to where other players didn't just have a fair chance of getting the Golden Pony, they sometimes actually got the Golden Pony.
sarmatian
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by sarmatian »

Wil wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:05 pm
:-) my style.
I jump manually between the spots ... yes it is hands on. Yes it is boring so I run couple rounds as work break.

the side benefit? I do not have all those checks you see the player jump away, I just stand there until monster spawns watching scripts go there/leave several times. If players is fighting then I will of course leave.
There are also places where recall does not work and simple ridding works. If somebody wonders why I do not go from end of the circle to the first spot.
Dirtybook
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Dirtybook »

Well, I see people want to turn a video game, meant for nostalgia and enjoyment purposes, into a fast food drive up window to get what they want.. as fast as possible.. with as little effort as possible... Personally, I think this server would be much better with that recall penalty. (Regardless if it's +C's variation of it, or the one that I and others have posted.) Yes, it will change the server. Yes, it will solve a lot of problems. And "NO", I personally would not care if it made some people leave the server.. That might actually be a welcomed aspect of it. From a perspective of instituting changes in any direction +C desires. Some of the "Old Guard", who don't care about the game experience, or other people, and only care about there hourly/daily quota, are making it toxic here. Maybe a few people need to move on. (Yup... I said that.. :nod: )

I believe some players that want it fast and easy, shouldn't be playing a MMO.. Spec Ops games on Play Station, and PC, may be more your style. (Good old fashioned shoot 'em up, where the enemy always knows where you are at all times, and matches rarely last 5 minutes each) I think what's happening now, "still", does not effect me, and I dare say, 80%+ of the people on the server, except to serve as inflation. (Imposed by players who just don't think several million gold a day, is enough...)

I have mentioned in World Chat on a few occasions.. "Wow! I made 3 mil today! Whew! that was rough!", which took me 12 hours of committed playing, some breaks, eating/ect., and avoiding conversations like the plague. I was proud of my self. The big problem with that 3 mil I made in 1 day, is I'm not likely to do it again for the next day, if not a few days. I will end up making 500k to 1.5 mil in a day, because that was way more work then I want to repeat that often for that 3 mil. Believe it or not.. That is normal.. I've made as much as 16 Mil in a week (Extremely Rare, Lots of hours put in...), to as little as 3 mil made in an entire week. (Had Real Life I had to tend to. Or I didn't feel like hunting, or playing.)

During my time of self "adulation", at my accomplishments of the day.. the mere mention that I made 3 mil, seems to bring out some nasty comments, from the "Set it, and Forget it" Community... "Meh.. that's nothing.. I make 4-5 mil every day." ... Which is more than an "Urking" moment for those of us that play the game.. For anyone that doesn't put in the time, to mock me for working for my gold, is insulting. If you have "Real Life" obligations, or a job, or this, that or the other... That's not my problem, or +C's Problem, or anyone else's problem on the server. Yet, Making things very hard to afford to the players that don't hit a button and walk off, is pretty messed up.. I'm calling you "ALL" out on this one... There is no way you're behind that screen watching intently, 8-16 hours a day.. You have all but admitted to being "afk", by saying watching TV, working out, doing laundry, Working, on a day trip, ect. If it's true that you don't afk, you would not need the script.. You would need a toilet built into your chairs instead. :roll:

I still find my enjoyment on this server, in the way I want it. I just get really tired of the "Maverick" attitude a handful of players wield, when they don't put in the effort. They talk down to other players, like insects, and don't care. I also want to point out, the first suggestion the "Gold Farmers" put forward, when someone says "I cannot even begin to afford that!", is a "Well, you could donate.." Which is a great cover for, "Yeah, donate, so I can gold farm, and not be looked at for less donations coming into the server."

I often wonder, and believe at times, that +C can't really add to this server. Mainly due to how it will be Immediately abused and exploited, by those that are so powerful and wealthy. That it would not even be worth the effort for him to implement it.. He cannot normalize the server with the large amounts of abusers on here. You guys don't even see this as a video game anymore.. This conversation has turned into a Political share holders meeting, where everyone is pointing fingers, and throwing accusations around at everyone involved in the "scripting with no effort" group. And I don't want to hear that bull, about how "I have limited time to play", or that other one, "I have the script, because I made it! I deserve the results!" rhetoric, that I've heard said as well.. I'm about to log for a few months, in the next 20 days (Your welcome), because I have real life to tend to.

I will put up Bee Hives, and get my 1 ED a day from voting.. Then I will log out, and get to my job. I will get to play for either half a day, or a full day, once a week, during the weekend, till Fall is in full swing. (In the desert, that's about a month later than when Fall hits the rest of North America.) I have work to do. I will not be setting up a "Macro Script", to make money the whole time (unless I'm Jailed), just so I don't "Miss Out". That's part of the deal. And I think a lot of you will remember, back in the day.. When you had other things that needed to be done, and you where gone from the game. A week, 2 weeks, month/s.. then you came back, and it felt like "I'm Home"... I don't care about what you guys feel, (which is obviously angst) but for me, that's a wonderful feeling! It's a "Lets see what's out there!" moment when you arrive back on Ultima Online. :woot:

Personally, if it's all about the money, and who gets it, and who gets to control the wealth of the server.. Then it's time for some of you to move on.. Your ruining it for the rest of us. And no.. I don't care if any of you liked anything I said.. Pull your selves out of that slumped position in your chairs, and Play the game.. OR.. Log Off for a while, and don't worry what you'll miss out on.. It clearly works you guys up into a feeding frenzy, where each of you has the other on the menu... :worried:
Dirtybook
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Dirtybook »

I forgot something, I will add it here...

I was a bit harsh on +C's way of running the server on one of my first posts.. and I actually regret that choice.. This is "His" Server. There is no way I, or any of you should be dictating anything on "His" Server.. I feel its extremely self serving, for any of us to feel so "Entitled" to tell the Admin how to run his server. It's actually not HIM.. its YOU guys! He has to try to adjust to you farmers.. You guys complain about how people aren't buying your wares from your vendors like they used to... What a shocker! They don't have your "nose up" perspective on gold on the server. Many make only a fraction of what you farmers have made per day, in a week. No one wants to grind for a month, to pay for one of your leveled up weapons!.

"But I make 500k and hour! And when I level up a weapon, I'm losing that MONEY!" Thats the main reason many players put up a weapon for 300+ EDs in TC. (At least, that's the reason I get when I challenge the price.) But yet, you guys complain that weapon sits there for months, or even a year?! No one wants to grind for a month or more to get a weapon they could level them selves, through regular game play. (Which would cost WAY less.)

Anyhow.. There is what I forgot to put in my previous post reply, before this one.. now onto the real thing I missed....

Through all this, +C has placed up his idea of solving the problem, and it does not seem like many agree with him. And yes.. I'm sure some of you with the intellectual, and emotional affinity of a field mouse.. will say I'm sucking up.. But that's further from the truth..

So, I have a "Better" idea, through all this... :idea:

+C, what would you like to see happen? YOU... not everyone posting here.. YOU. :?:
Dirtybook
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Dirtybook »

Here is something that you are all doing, if you use a warp script to play the game for you.. Your using a "Rigged" system.. all the while saying "No it's not.." .. and we all know, people who defend such a blatant miss use of a Macro Script, is because it's benefiting them. Pointing Fingers at others doing the same beneficial Rigging, is only a distraction from the real problem. "Control" of the "Rigged System". I'm waiting on bated Breath, to see what +C does about this. I hope it upsets someone.. Because some times, the right choice, can upset a select few. But will benefit the larger masses, that frequent "his" Server.

If someone does not like what I've said? Thats ok.. I've learned you are all "Paper Tigers" anyhow... :lol:

Beside, I know for a fact it's Rigged.. because it's more or less, you all are pointing fingers at who "Broke" the rigged system that was being abused for so long..
Geriatric
Legendary Scribe

Post by Geriatric »

i agree with alot of what you say dirtybook i really do

i think scripted balron farming is something akin to using an aimbot in a first person shooter

autmatic bandages is fine and auto looting is fine
if there was a way to make it so recall cant be added to a script that might work

im happy if i make about 500k a day, sometimes i make less

rich people complaining that no one will buy there 300 ED weapon is actually hilarious to me, go cry harder
im still saving up for my first bag of holding, i have 95 ED's not long to go now

and the suggestiong of "you could donate" is kinda messed up i never liked the pay-to-win system of gaming
because it leapfrogs people ahead of others who do put in the hard work
its also a fairly high amount to donate as well isnt it? something like 100 euros ?
to some people its not much money, to others it is, and to others its about the principle
but maybe it wouldnt be such a bad idea having smaller donation options, +C might get more people to donate then
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Post by Wil »

Geriatric wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:29 pm
i think scripted balron farming is something akin to using an aimbot in a first person shooter
I say this with all sincerity: anyone who finds moral outrage in the bare fact of other players' attended scripting should carefully consider whether they're playing on the right server. The freedom to choose the best personal balance between manual play and automated assist is very central to the community here.

For the record, I don't play massively multiplayer FPS games, in part because my aim is so bad. Even here, I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have F4 bound to target the nearest enemy.

Also for the record, I was here for a couple years before I first donated. At that point I added up the hours of entertainment I was getting and decided it was worth it. In retrospect I'd do the same. I would have regretted skipping past the early game.
Geriatric
Legendary Scribe

Post by Geriatric »

Wil wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:15 pm
I say this with all sincerity: anyone who finds moral outrage in the bare fact of other players' attended scripting should carefully consider whether they're playing on the right server. The freedom to choose the best personal balance between manual play and automated assist is very central to the community here.
well thats the beauty of this discussion, we can dump our opinion here
i dont have a problem with having a button that targets a mob (the first two weeks i was here i was having a real problem with double clicking monsters or dragging up their health bars
i dont have a problem with auto loot
i dont have a problem with auto bandage

but my opinion is that having a script that does all those things together and travelling to different locations is giving an inch and taking a mile
im impressed that guys out there can create such scripts but to paraphrase the great doctor ian malcom visitor to jurassic park
the scripters were so pre-occupied with wether or not they could, they didnt stop think if they should
Muolke
Legendary Scribe

Post by Muolke »

Geriatric wrote:
and the suggestiong of "you could donate" is kinda messed up i never liked the pay-to-win system of gaming
because it leapfrogs people ahead of others who do put in the hard work
its also a fairly high amount to donate as well isnt it? something like 100 euros ?
to some people its not much money, to others it is, and to others its about the principle
but maybe it wouldnt be such a bad idea having smaller donation options, +C might get more people to donate then
You may not like the idea of people donating for EDs but to be fair if it wasn't for people that donate to the server this place would most likely not be here today. So I get it if you don't personally want to donate, but be careful trying to fault those that do donate since they're the reason the lights stay on in this place.

Also, donations can be as little as 1 euro. You get 10 ED for every 1 Euro you donate and if you donate 100 Euro or more you get a 10% bonus.
Zeratul
Elder Scribe

Post by Zeratul »

Geriatric wrote:
i agree with alot of what you say dirtybook i really do

Balron scripts are worse than aimbots. Atleast with aim bots you have to still move and push buttons. Some of these guys hit a button and go eat dinner and watch a movie.

I’m glad +C has had enough and is fixing this. It’s a shame they got away with such a horrible act for so long.
Last edited by Zeratul on Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geriatric
Legendary Scribe

Post by Geriatric »

Muolke wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:51 pm
You may not like the idea of people donating for EDs but to be fair if it wasn't for people that donate to the server this place would most likely not be here today. So I get it if you don't personally want to donate, but be careful trying to fault those that do donate since they're the reason the lights stay on in this place.

Also, donations can be as little as 1 euro. You get 10 ED for every 1 Euro you donate and if you donate 100 Euro or more you get a 10% bonus.
i dont have a problem with people donating for ED's im just not to keen on the fact that it requires ED's to buy relayers and other such items that make your character more powerful

the more cosmetic items like different mounts or different hues, different looking armour, multiple houses im all cool with

and i didnt know you could donate less i thought 100 euro's were the only donation amount