Balron farming solution

Name says it all
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Re: Balron farming solution

Post by Wil »

zeeeqi wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:09 pm
If someone spent 500M but has 1B he would be richer than me for example.
I'm reasonably sure that Muolke sold a bunch of the stuff he bought at auction, bringing in the gold for subsequent purchases. We can pick nits about the data all day. Lacking any way to produce a better accounting, it serves as a reasonable proxy for who the richest among us actually are and, roughly, by how much.
ZeeeQi
Adept Scribe

Post by ZeeeQi »

Zanzi wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:16 pm
If I have a script and I tried to sell for 100m and someone said yes, I am not sure I would say JK, wouldnt sell it...or would I go for it?

Can we at least agree to posting facts?
Of course i would have sold it for 600M! That's hundreds if not thousands of hours farming
I didn't want to sell it doesn't mean i wouldn't sell it
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Post by Wil »

Zanzi wrote:
Can we at least agree to posting facts?
Whether you think Balrons should be nerfed or disagree vehemently, whatever approach you may favor, it's not a fact it's an opinion.
MagicUser
Elder Scribe

Post by MagicUser »

Do you still want a summary? I cannot tell if you are genuinely asking or not.
Zanzi wrote:
If anyone has time, read through entire post from start to finish (this thread and another one that is active). I need a recap of what has been posted that are FACTS and what are NOT.
Respectfully,
Paroxysmus ILV Master Spellcaster
Alibaster
Legendary Scribe

Post by Alibaster »

This is getting off topic. Posting what a person pays in auction or if they are the richest on the shard is not helping solve the question at hand......Balron farming. Can we get away from personal axes to grind and back to the subject at hand?
Alibaster in game!!
Zanzi
Elder Scribe

Post by Zanzi »

MagicUser wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:55 pm
Do you still want a summary? I cannot tell if you are genuinely asking or not.
Zanzi wrote:
If anyone has time, read through entire post from start to finish (this thread and another one that is active). I need a recap of what has been posted that are FACTS and what are NOT.
I was being serious. I am so confused now with all the allegations
culichi
Legendary Scribe

Post by culichi »

zeeeqi wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:38 pm
Nice to be able to see older auction information!

But be careful because you made a few mistakes, for example considering 2 different names as 2 different persons.
  • Goliath and Sheidheda
  • Kairoz and Deckard
  • Nik and Wonderbread
  • Muolke and Zohan (He was using the disguise kit when he bought the ATH, that's why there's a different name)
Don't know if there are more, but these are the ones i know.

Also another mistake, was counting twice when i bought the change weapon specials, there were 2 bids because Egore said he couldn't bid so +C auctioned the deed again, it looks like i paid 190M for one and 250M, but i only bought the second one.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to bring up data from previous auctions.

P.S: Didn't know i could upload zip files directly here, that's why i've been uploading to wetransfer....

zohan isnt a disguise kit name its an existing character but i dont think it was muolke i always thought it was erebus. pippi is on the list and she is my alt i used her to troll colibri at one of the auctions her guild is "Followers of Nyx" hehe.
Dirtybook
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Dirtybook »

Honestly, My idea of how to deal with this, is not to drop the gold of mobs, or individual monsters. What I am about to say, I have said in the past. So.. here is it.

"Easiest fix for the recall farming..."

1) Don't allow players to recall into, or out of a dungeon. (Obviously debatable)

2) Make every "Combat Action", flag the player to have a recall timer, to halt them from bouncing around.
If they get attacked, they cannot recall away. They attack, they cannot recall away. Even if the monster is slain, and no more monsters remain alive on screen, they need to wait out the timer.

3) Make every "Resource Gathering Action", the same as the "Combat Action" recall cool down timer. Just more intense. Chopping a tree, casting a
fishing pole, mining any Ore, or finished action there in, requires a cool down recall timer.

4) Make the Recall timer for "Combat Actions", 15 Seconds, from the last action. Targeting, targeted, kill, or current conflict unresolved. (If they pop in to kill a Balron, they have to wait 15 seconds, before recalling/warping away. If they are under attack by other monsters, after there target of the Balron is finished, they cannot warp away, until out of conflict. Which will require 15 seconds after that unresolved conflict is concluded.)

5) Resource Farming, can have a 30 second timer, which would make the process of profiting from AFK gathering, less desirable.

I put it in 5 parts, when really it only needs 3, but, if anyone needed extra understanding, there it is.. Also, I would like to point out, that I seem to remember back before the introduction of Trammel to the Original UO, there where restrictions similar to what iv described in place. Especially for combat.

Lets not split hairs here.. its a easy way to fix the problem, and I am fully aware it will be disagreed with by the player base.. possibly even angerly so.. However, I am not pitching this idea to anyone but +C. Save your comments, I will not reply. (Learned my lesson not to argue with people on here after posting. Bad Idea.. Some people look for fights.)
Geriatric
Legendary Scribe

Post by Geriatric »

a general 15 second recall timer isnt too bad, its not to imposing
and 15 seconds isn't too long of a wait time if you happen to recall to a spawn thats already been killed
regardless of combat, regardless of resource gathering

having a combat flag against monsters of why you can't recall away is not however a good idea, becauase recall isnt just a way of travelling its also a way of escape
i do remember this flag being active in PVP, but it was never active in PVE

not being able to recall in and out of a dungeon at all would dam near kill the server
it might be fine running the shorter dungeons, destard 2 and 3 , for example
but thats an awefully long run just to reach deceit liches, or shame's elder gazers ( a recall zone at the beginning of each level may be more feasable)
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Post by Wil »

Geriatric wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:30 pm
a general 15 second recall timer isnt too bad, its not to imposing
and 15 seconds isn't too long of a wait time if you happen to recall to a spawn thats already been killed
regardless of combat, regardless of resource gathering
Regardless of IDOCing after you've dumped your pack at your house and now have to wait a 12 count before you can return to the field? With that timer ticking down to when everything left on the ground is just going to poof?

The opportunity for unintended consequences of tweaking the recall timers is HUGE. Even the foreseeable ones are bad. It's among the worst of the proposed solutions.

-Wil
Geriatric
Legendary Scribe

Post by Geriatric »

you can dump all your pack horses in 3 seconds ?
Johnny Warren
Legendary Scribe

Post by Johnny Warren »

The big problem with adding a delay to the recall spells is that it disproportionately affects those with shorter play time due to IRL constraints. Some of our more casual players only get an hour here or there, if they recall to 4 different locations to chop wood that's 1/60th of their play time spent to address a problem that doesn't really affect them. If it is a player that gets to spend 8 hours a day the recall nerf is then 1/480th of their time, no real impact. Therefore, the recall nerf will actually more negatively impact the exact demographic we are trying to help. (Well one of the demographics, the other is the uber rich who want to keep their auction strangleholds).

The second problem with nerfing recall, is that it will increase the divide between the skillful scripters, and the rest of us plebs. Which is exactly the opposite aim of the discussion. The skillful scripters will 100% capitalise on any nerfing to recall by adding in rails and other elements that we plebs can't, increasing their monopoly.

A big part of the original grief seems to be that some people get to play longer, even if by play it is click a macro and watch, than other people. Maybe the solution is we all get a billion gold per month, account bound, no currency can be traded, no more auctions and everyone is on a level playing field. I.e. completely remove the player economy. That way we can all stop whining and let +C get on with freeing up the hues (which will all cost 0gp in the new paradigm). :lool: The argument here is absurd, but ultimately the reality is both these threads simply read: "I am annoyed that someone else can play for 8 hours a day and plays in a style that I don't agree with." which is also, absurd. As I have said before, we nerf this. Then in 6 months, we are nerfing fel wrong, and then it's a nerf-fest to until my above dis/utopia is the reality. The system has worked for over 15 years, a few players kick up a big stink and suddenly it's like "Yep, this is a huge threat to our shard. Fix this, nerf that." That said, my position (which is as stated in the other forum thread) does involve a couple of minor tweaks as genuine AFKing is a large problem. Not as big as the dual clienters who are also AFKing, but my solution also helps fix that problem.

1) Don't touch recall spells, hits too many other things.
2) Drop tram bally gold, increase fel bally gold.
3) More frequent and sophisticated AFK checks for certain activities, particularly recall farming. Introduce a dual client test as well.
4) FREE THE HUES!
Last edited by Johnny Warren on Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 7 times in total.
JOHNNY WARREN!
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Post by Wil »

Geriatric wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:34 pm
you can dump all your pack horses in 3 seconds ?
I haven't timed it but I'm pretty fast. Certainly faster than 15 seconds. And I don't have pack horses. Controlling multiple pack animals is too cumbersome. I bring one mule, a HBOH and my item+weight enhanced backpack.

And when the IDOC I return to is empty, I would kind of like to move to the next of the 200 I've marked. Without another 15 count. Nor yet another 15 count when the next one turns out to have been completely picked over too.

And this is when I'm not using scripts -at all-.