Need help

Name says it all
Cygnus
Legendary Scribe

Need help

Post by Cygnus »

One of my cats jumped up on the keyboard while I was logged into the game. The black field that surrounds the game play window enlarged to where I no longer can access the tray where all of my pinned programs are. Using Windows 10. Right clicking on the field gives me nothing. I've tried making changes on my character game play size, that only affects the game play window. Nothing on Razor I found helps. I also tried logging into one of my other characters. Same issue. I am sure it is a simple fix, but it has me stumped.

On a related note, I have a similar issue with UOAM which has been going on long before this recent issue. I get the map to display, but I have no menu bar with it. NO way to minimize or go to any of its drop-down menus. Once its open, it blocks the game play window. Can't move it either. To close it, I go to the tray and close it from there.
Not as worried about UOAM as I am about my game window. I frequently go back and forth between the game window an excel.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Re: Need help

Post by Wil »

Cygnus wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:22 pm
The black field that surrounds the game play window enlarged to where I no longer can access the tray where all of my pinned programs are.
Are you in full-screen display mode? You can access that from the paper doll -> Options -> right side eye icon.
Matrix
Legendary Scribe

Post by Matrix »

i think it ran something about OS shortcuts, search for the operating system shortcuts you use and try them in onebyone,

or put the cat on the keyboard again and again :)
Please reply to me:
in-game: [pm Matrix
discord id: Matrixre
(Only checking the forums monthly)
(All prices can be change, ED to Gold to ED)
Cygnus
Legendary Scribe

Post by Cygnus »

Wil wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:21 pm
Cygnus wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:22 pm
The black field that surrounds the game play window enlarged to where I no longer can access the tray where all of my pinned programs are.
Are you in full-screen display mode? You can access that from the paper doll -> Options -> right side eye icon.
Changing the full screen display only changed the playing screen, not the black blank space which you put your gumps, backpacks, etc. That is my issue. That space covers my entire computer screen where I can't access the max/min and x out gumps and won't allow me to access my windows tray at the bottom. I seem to remember this issue from years back, but I can't locate anything in the forums.
Cygnus
Legendary Scribe

Post by Cygnus »

I got it fixed. I basically reinstalled UO to fix it. I am sure there was an easier way, but I couldn't find it. Thanks for the input guys.
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

Glad to hear you managed to fix it. I can't really imagine how it all looked like when it was broken, what exact black area and how it extended over the pinned programs.

Just as an overall knowledge about such issues, this might be related: https://www.uoex.net/wiki/Fixing_Minimized_Window_Issue

Also, since you mentioned that reinstalling the game helped: maybe you could just delete your character's settings. In the UO Game folder, there's a folder named "Desktop". Deleting this folder pretty much resets all your user settings, but perhaps you can navigate inside to get to your account & character's specific folder, and just delete files like:
- chardata.mul
- desktop.uos
- uo.cfg

(recommended that you back them up first)
(I often just rename such files, although there's a small chance it could be a problem. Let's say, "chardata.mul" to "chardata---.mul")
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)
dreamstalker
Legendary Scribe

Post by dreamstalker »

if i understand it correctly u should have been able to go to task bar n i think right click the auto map n click maximize then left click and hold the maximized window and drag down just a bit and it would go back to normal mode ..... as far as the black area in game window sounds like the cat just changed your screen resolution in windows....prolly just the cat gettin revenge to me lol
I keep a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin! just cause you aint paranoid doesnt mean they aint after you
Sir Blood
Elder Scribe

Post by Sir Blood »

hitting Alt + Enter can really mess up your gameplay experience! (Depending on your display settings it can be really bad)
- - In game name:: Simply Delicious - -
Find my HUGE Rune LIbrary
- Main Floor Housegates
- Bottom SE corner, look for the black and white housegate tile (looks like a QR code you can scan)
Rune displayed @TC -- Far West Wall: Simply's