[OrionUO 7/31/22 update] DON'T UPDATE/fix

Name says it all
MagicUser
Elder Scribe

[OrionUO 7/31/22 update] DON'T UPDATE/fix

Post by MagicUser »

Hello fellow Orion users. I had a rather rude surprise when I went to update Orion this morning. If you go through with the update, you will be unable to launch Orion. This is developer confirmed and he has been working on fixing the update.

If you did update, don't worry, the developer was informed and made a stop gap that makes the client usable again.

Disclaimer:
This worked for me as far as I can tell, but I definitely zipped my OrionLauncher folder, just in case, before doing the following.
  • Download the installer again. It has the same name as the old one. The developer said that he changed it. The following works when you do, so idk. Not very good update practice.
  • Install into your current OrionUO folder. As far as I can tell having checked my settings it only overwrites the Orion stuff, not all your settings and scripts. Again.... make sure you made a backup.
  • Go to the following file and delete it. Orion Launcher/bearer/qnativewifibearer.dll.
Best of luck. Hope this helps.
I am not sure when the fixed update will be released, which is why I put the date in the title.
Respectfully,
Paroxysmus ILV Master Spellcaster
davethemage
Grandmaster Scribe

Re: [OrionUO 7/31/22 update] DON'T UPDATE/fix

Post by davethemage »

Thanks for the info. I seen there was an update, but like most updates I refuse to do, especially when things are working fine as they are.
IGN: Edwin Roach
MagicUser
Elder Scribe

Post by MagicUser »

I have been using the new update for a couple days now. I am cautiously optimistic that it is working properly. I at least have not crashed, which is a good sign.
davethemage wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:58 pm
Thanks for the info. I seen there was an update, but like most updates I refuse to do, especially when things are working fine as they are.
That might be a good policy. Though, generally speaking, updates are often made for a reason. Improvement of features, additional features, and bug patches to name a few. Of course, sometimes updates are made just for the sake of having an update. Additionally, any change to the code will often times add bugs. Risk/reward I suppose. The hope is that the update will improve gameplay more than it will ruin it. I believe the new release is at the stage that the improvements outweigh the bugs at least for me. I do not think there were any substantial improvements though. Certainly none that noticeably improves casual game play.
Respectfully,
Paroxysmus ILV Master Spellcaster
Alibaster
Legendary Scribe

Post by Alibaster »

Just checking to see if it's safe to update. Has anyone tried the latest version with no issues?
Alibaster in game!!
davethemage
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by davethemage »

I'm currently running v2.0.12.0 with no problems. It does show there is an update for for OrionLauncher64.exe, but have yet to update it.
I'm currently happy with the way things work now without updating.
IGN: Edwin Roach