It's not just me suffering from LAG

Name says it all
Wild Retic
Grandmaster Scribe

It's not just me suffering from LAG

Post by Wild Retic »

I dont know what the issue is, but I really wish I could find a solution. Or if its the server or something else. I am lagging so bad every 60 seconds it seems, plus half of the time im loosing conn. Anyone have any idea to help?
TikTak
Apprentice Scribe

Re: It's not just me suffering from LAG

Post by TikTak »

Check your laptop / desktop for windows updates. They absolutely kill my machine and cause a lot of lag / disconnects whilst downloading. If you have satellite TV eg. Sky... that too can impact connectivity whilst it's downloading firmware updates.

Best of luck!
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Post by Wil »

Wild Retic wrote:I dont know what the issue is, but I really wish I could find a solution. Or if its the server or something else. I am lagging so bad every 60 seconds it seems, plus half of the time im loosing conn. Anyone have any idea to help?

Open up a cmd tool or powershell and type, 'ping /t shard.uoex.net"

If you lose packet's (especially near the lag), it's probably your Internet connection. Once in a while it's the server but normally it's you.

If you don't, it's probably the server.
Wild Retic
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Wild Retic »

Just lost conn and this is what i got
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (13.96 KiB) Viewed 2158 times
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Post by Wil »

Wild Retic wrote:Just lost conn and this is what i got
Try again with the right command, while you're playing instead of after you're disconnected.
Wild Retic
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Wild Retic »

ok, assuming its my system and not my internet. What should i look for or what do i do?
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Post by Wil »

For starters, don't assume. Hypothesize, test, confirm or refute, then narrow. Assuming gets you exactly nowhere.

Server problem or network problem? Everybody: leans toward server problem. Just you: leans toward network problem. Packet loss: network problem confirmed.

Packet loss to server but not nearby Internet server: general backbone problem. If it persists, report to ISP that you're having trouble with the remote IP address which is \known to be good from off their network. They will generally be able to see the same packet loss as you (problem replicated) and can diagnose from there.

Packet loss to server and nearby Internet server: nearby network problem. Test further.

Packet loss to your wifi router: wifi problem. Connect with ethernet. If it persists, replace trash router.

Packet loss to nearby Internet server but not to your wifi router: ISP problem. Test further.

Traceroute to nearby Internet server. Identify first ISP router after your (wifi) router. Packet loss to both nearby Internet server but not your ISP's first router: fault in ISP network but not your immediate line. Call ISP.

Packet loss to both: Disconnect everything from your Internet connection except the machine your testing with and shut down any other software that might be using the Internet. Retest. No more packet loss: you're saturating your Internet link. Stop it.

Still getting packet loss to your ISP's first router AND the nearby Internet server: bad line from your ISP. Call for a technician visit to repair.
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

Wil wrote:Open up a cmd tool or powershell and type, 'ping /t shard.uoex.net"
Wild Retic, in the screenshot you posted, i see that you were pinging just "uoex.net". The website is hosted on a different server than the gameserver, so those ping results aren't relevant - make sure that you are pinging "shard.uoex.net".

You can also try with this program, that also draws a graph: http://www.pingplotter.com/download

Overall approach to troubleshooting:
- if other games lag too, or if you get latency spikes when you ping other sites/servers, then the issue is somewhere between your computer and the internet backbone. Could be a faulty network card, poor wifi, rats chewing the cables, overloaded connection on your end, overloaded routers for the whole neighborhood or city, or just an overloaded ISP. This can sometimes come and go, like during random internet outages, or in the evenings when everyone's online.
- if this server is the only one that lags, then it's some more specific issue. Might be a firewall (on your computer, the router), there was one time when a player called their ISP and they found some misconfiguration that was affecting connections to only a small section of the internet, and the server was included in that.

Wil also wrote good pointers on what to try.

Another thing you can try yourself: go to the neighbor's place and try it from there. Also try from a friend's place that's a couple of miles away. Try from a different computer. Just change different variables until you find the thing that's causing it.
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)
assamiti
Novice Scribe

Post by assamiti »

dont know if can help had similar problem because of my ROG gaming first program was not reconiziong UO as a game that needed mutch connetion so it as choking it so i set high prio to the program and goes great