Ointing Imp Dogs

Name says it all
Zanzi
Elder Scribe

Ointing Imp Dogs

Post by Zanzi »

Just want to get some advice on ointing. The obvious is HP. But I also was told by a very reputable player that I should do stamina and AR and possibly dex. I am assuming AR will help them survive better against physical damage but do not fully understand dex and stamina.
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Re: Ointing Imp Dogs

Post by Wil »

Don't need int or mana since imp dogs don't use either one.

HP is questionable. Mobs with area life drain can only drain the HP the dogs have. If the dogs have a lot, the mob may be able to withstand the dogs just by serially draining their HP.

Everything else, I'm not sure there's a reason (besides cost) not to oint them to max.

Dex impacts hit chance. They'll miss more with a low dex.

Stamina impacts attack speed. They'll attack more often with a high stamina.

Make sure you start with dogs with high str (>340). It's not worth the cost of ointing cheap dogs.
Nick
Legendary Scribe
Location: PA native, liveing in NC right now Moveing to TX in march

Post by Nick »

the cost to oint is very low these days (300g a oint instead of 7.2k gold) so it is no nearly as important to pick your stats. HP is the most important IMO much easier to kill, proxy, fire dragon, ice dragon, and big red dragon with 1100 HP imps, Stam and dex should also get maxed. As you will "swing" more often with high stam which results in more hits thus dmg.

The dmg delt by a 370 HP imp vers a 270 (max and min str) isn't that dramatic that I would worry about it too much unless you plan on reselling your imps later on. It used to be a bit more important when it cat 25x more to oint an imp to ful.
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Post by Wil »

It's not just the bare oints, its the regs you combine them with. You'll spend a couple million gold ointing the imps. It makes sense to start with an 800k gold imp with 340 str instead of a 100k gold imp with 290.
Zanzi
Elder Scribe

Post by Zanzi »

Yah. I kinda wished I knew about the cost of regs. But already started so will most likely need to finish up the 5 dogs I have. Just for hp alone is like almost 1.5m each
sarmatian
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by sarmatian »

Of course 340 STR for start is better than 290.
but .. I calculated, and 3 dogs with str 340-360 and 2 dogs with str 280 are better than 4 dogs with str 340-360.
pack bonus 80% or 100% makes a difference.

I ointed everything ... reasonable ...
started with raising HP to 500, Armor Rating to 75, Dex to 140 and Stamina to 350
then in second round, HP to 1100, Stamina to 550.

and please do not forget to bind them. I looked at puchased dog, ok, bound ... (but to previous owner) and despaired when it died .. :-) lesson learned.
Zanzi
Elder Scribe

Post by Zanzi »

so dex max at 140 and stam at 350?
Sinja
Master Scribe

Post by Sinja »

dex 140 max
Stam 550 max

on any pack instinct pet
dreamstalker
Legendary Scribe

Post by dreamstalker »

any dogs i oint if str is lower then 330 i take hp to 700 dex 140 stamina to 550 i used them to hunt and hunt and hunt....whenever i get imp with over 340 str id oint to 1100/140/550 and i would then sell/ retire whichever of the others was lowest.. took a while used a lot of regs/oints but even starting with lower str imps paid for them 10 fold (guesstimate) didnt really keep track...which now puts my pack of 10 (lowest str 365) absolutely amazing.
I keep a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin! just cause you aint paranoid doesnt mean they aint after you
Miranda Ventrata
Elder Scribe

Post by Miranda Ventrata »

If you might replace them because they are not as high as you would like. I would suggest about 500 hp, and 300 stam, and 140 dex. That way you can still depend on them, but doesn't sting as much when you need to get rid of them. If you're not into selling stuff, half ointed imps are still usable and make great hand me downs/gifts for fellow guildies, or for prizes/giveaways in events.

When you are happy with the Str. then start at 140/500/300 so you can start using them to make gold earlier, and slowly work your way to 140/1100/550.
Zanzi
Elder Scribe

Post by Zanzi »

Thanks for all the info. I think I am going to keep all mine as they are between 362 and 368 str. Not sure if damage is that much different between 360 and 370. Anyone know?
MagicUser
Elder Scribe

Post by MagicUser »

For the people that were wondering about AR on pets... there was a thread a long time ago (2010-2014) that I just found that was very helpfull. Essentially you'd want 70 AR according to them. Happy to be corrected, but it looked like they knew what they were talking about.
Dementika wrote:i don't know where you guy's got the idea that armor rating was damage reduction, i guess it's from players that played pre-aos. Armor rating is still a live formula that is used as part of the hit chance / evade formula. That formula is hardcoded, aka you can't mess with it unless you're a scripting guru, as it's not in the base scripts, you'd have to modify the core of UO.

Think of armor rating as the ''defend chance inc'' of all mobiles. The hit formula from my experience (don't take this as the EXACT formula as i don't have access to it like everyone else, i just played with AR a ton on other servers i scripted on) is something like :

(attacker weapon skill + 20) * (100% + hit chance)
divided by
(defender weapon skill + 20) * ( 100% + Armor rating / 2 (0 AR being 100%, 90 AR being 145% ) * 100

You'll always have a 2% chance to hit minimum as an attacker, and to my knowledge there's no maximum AR as a creature, compared to defend rating which is capped for players.

So AR becomes quite important on pet's, even more if their wrestling is only at 100 and you are fighting things with more than 100 wrestling (as you can see above, if the monster attacking would have a higher odd of hitting if its only weapon skill + 20 VS weaponskill + 20 * 100, AR will give you a higher chance that your pet will be missed. The maximum AR 70 on excel system would mean 35% bonus on the formula.

Of course, if you haven't read carefully, it doesnt mean its 35% less likely to be hit from 0 to 70 AR, since its a % formula divided by attacker/defender. Given equal skill formula top/bottom you have 50% chance to hit, so again, given equal skill if you add 70 AR, you'll have around 40-41% chance to hit, more or less (don't quote me on the exact number, just giving an estimate)

For the unbelievers, this is quite easy to test with your own server, or friendly GM/dev on here, ask them to give themselves, or a monster 10,000 AR, and attempt to hit it. You'll have alot of fun swinging on air 98% of the time.
Respectfully,
Paroxysmus ILV Master Spellcaster