Suggestion: Trinsic Raffle

Name says it all
Johnny Warren
Legendary Scribe

Re: Suggestion: Trinsic Raffle

Post by Johnny Warren »

Handrius wrote:lol another HboH won by the same 4 people who win the raffles. at this point every night before the draw I pick one of the 4 and I'm usually not far off on who will win it. esp if its worth 400eds or more. :lool:
Excluding the relatively recently invented donation bonus 3 day raffles, I can count on one hand how many times I have won an item worth over 400ed off the stones in over 11 years of playing them... Here we go... 1... 2. Yeah, twice. Twice man. 2 times. I have no idea where the saltiness towards me is coming from. I have won a reasonable number of things like pet leashes, sewing kits and books of achievement (I think mainly because the items are uselesss and I am the only one playing.) I have won 2 HBoH in my whole time here, the first being in 2015, the second being a few weeks ago. Your incorrect anecdotal "evidence" is purely wrong. If +C could post a list of all the winners in the entire history of the top raffles you would see I am correct.

I had 25mil in tickets on last ancient Yumi. 8Mil on the titans hammer. I had 20mil on the titans before that. If you count my losses I am down hundreds of millions over the decade. There is no way I am "winning" on the raffles man, none whatsoever.

As an aside, I think you can game the 3 day donation bonus stone and I have been successful in doing that (I won't reveal my strategy there). But the top 2 main stones. No way, they just steal my gold... lots of it.

I am honoured that you pick me in the top 4 raffle winners, but you are just plain wrong about that. Maybe that's why you aren't good at the raffles, you aren't good at counting and understanding odds and statistics?
Handrius wrote:I want to make it clear I understand its a gold sink meant for end game. I don't have any ill feelings towards anyone because they have disposable gold to obtain some items. Just wish there was some other raffles that sold a limit of tickets so it can level it out. For one person to spend 5mill on an item worth 500eds seems like its making them richer???
I introduced a friend to UOEX, he hates to gamble, I always encourage him to have at least 10 tickets in the big items. He won a HBoH in 2018 with 10 tickets. If this is not a clear cut example of how the raffles help the POOR get RICHER whilst making the RICH get POORER I don't know what is. As I stated above, over the last 10 years I would suggest my losses on the raffles, in all honesty, would be between 200 and 300mil. I could have bought 3 HBoH and had some change if I decided not to play the raffles. But be thankful that I do, it means I cannot use that extra wealth to game the economy by, for example, constantly buying up ALL the ED on exex pushing prices to unaffordable highs for newer players. Be thankful I am throwing my gold away.
JOHNNY WARREN!
Handrius
Apprentice Scribe

Post by Handrius »

lol i clearly said i had no saltiness or ill will towards anyone with disposable gold to waste on winning trinsic items. i have only kept record of the winners since ive been back and you have won two big items. worth the most lol. i thank you for trying to call me out and act like im talking crap towards you. i am not. what i consider a big winner btw is what you won and the time sine your last win. i hope you have a good time playing the game :dance
Johnny Warren
Legendary Scribe

Post by Johnny Warren »

Handrius wrote:lol i clearly said i had no saltiness or ill will towards anyone with disposable gold to waste on winning trinsic items. i have only kept record of the winners since ive been back and you have won two big items. worth the most lol. i thank you for trying to call me out and act like im talking crap towards you. i am not. what i consider a big winner btw is what you won and the time sine your last win. i hope you have a good time playing the game :dance
Apologies for the saltiness remark. Please, remind me, apart from the last HBoH the other week, what item did I win and when? If 2 wins across a decade makes someone a 'big winner' then the system seems to be working perfectly...
JOHNNY WARREN!
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

Yeah the raffle stones could use a bit of a freshening up. I don't mind putting up the info about how many tickets were bought, you you can make an informed decision.

In general this is a gold sink, so if there's a lot less gold sunken after this info is available, maybe it would be best for the economy to leave it as it is now.
I ran some analyses a few years ago, and found that the overall gold sunk is quite comparable to what the item is worth, it wasn't uncommon for stuff to be raffled at a loss as well. I don't know if the statistics have changed much recently.

About validity of the drawings: I've made 2 analyses over the years (first about 1-2 years after the stones were added, and one a few years ago), and on both occasions I found that the winners are directly proportional to tickets bought... I remember one player who was the top winner, and he bought something like 24% of tickets and won 26% of the time (not exactly the same, but within a reasonable statistical probability).
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)
Johnny Warren
Legendary Scribe

Post by Johnny Warren »

Cameron Majere again winning all them raffles!!? One of the big four strikes again... Seriously, fix them now!!

:lool:

I know its an older thread, sorry. A compromise is that you ran a test run of the stones with the info available. Have the ticket info available on just one of the top stones, run it for 3-5 cycles and see if the data supports whether it sinks more, or less gold, with the new config. Repeat on other stones to ensure the measure is valid. If it does sink more gold, then employ it across all of the stones. If it does not, you could maintain the original system.
JOHNNY WARREN!
henreylouice69
Passer by

Post by henreylouice69 »

I don't know how the stones work, but I'd be willing to bet that it is truly random.

I posed a screenshot in Oct 2012 where +Nyx won 2 items at the same time with 1 ticket each. At that time they had to buy a ticket in order to set up the stone.

I think it would be an interesting experiment to to see if a stone similar to the TC vendor stone would increase or decrease the number of tickets sold.

I could see it going either way.

Especially if it worked exactly like the TC stone where half of the time it is weighted, half of the time it is random by player.
Tribecca
Legendary Scribe

Post by Tribecca »

Muolke wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:36 pm
Also, can the player submitted raffle also be activated?
I would like this too. How can we submit an item and how does it work?
culichi
Legendary Scribe

Post by culichi »

there is a deed in todays grand auction that allows winning bidder to place an item in the trinsic raffle for one week. i bought one of these deeds a few years ago and it didnt go too well for me but this time the deed includes 96 hours of town crier spam which should help.
Tribecca
Legendary Scribe

Post by Tribecca »

Here's an idea. How about one raffle stone that allows only one ticket purchase per account? Dunno if that is possible, but then the raffle would be truly random. The cost could be adjustable and the prize could be proportional.
Johnny Warren
Legendary Scribe

Post by Johnny Warren »

As long as you set the cost of the individual ticket to 1 or 2 million hold I could see it working. Otherwise it's a complete waste of time.

Say every single (active) player buys a single ticket, at current price, 10k, that's maybe 200 or 300 tickets. That's a 2 or 3m pot. So you need an item worth less than that, which is... ? There would be no decent item to auction. Resulting in nobody buying tickets As the prize is mediocre.

The whole point of the raffle stones is as a gold sink... any action that reduces the amount of gold spent from players is contrary to their purpose. To take as much gold out of the economy as possible to keep inflation low so that newer players don't log in and go, holy crap, I can never afford anything on this server *logs out*...

yeah it's really annoying seeing the same few players win many items, but they don't always win, and when they lose, they lose big. Unlike the player who only ever spends 100k. I've won the big table auction exactly 2 times (both huge bag of holdings) in my 12 years here. Once with a lot of tickets, I think I had 160 or so, and once with only 10 tickets. Every time I drop 5 mil on the titans hammer when it hits the table and lose it feels pretty bad... definitely lost far more than ive won on the tables, and that's the way it should be. And all newer players and poorer players should be very happy that's the case.
JOHNNY WARREN!
Silent
Legendary Scribe

Post by Silent »

When you think about ways to refreshing these raffles +C, think about placing a token raffle (it could have lower tier items on the rotation) but it would help to fix a problem discusses a few weeks ago about tokens being pretty worthless.

The ticket limit per account is interesting but it wouldn't serve the money sinking problem unless it was a unique stone and the limit would be high...
On the contrary, more players could have interest in participating because of the odds so it could actually sink some gold ...
Lurking the forums since dec 2012
Tribecca
Legendary Scribe

Post by Tribecca »

One point I see is that even though the Trinsic raffles are a gold sink, the ones who win the most are the ones who have enough gold to sink into the raffles. A merchant character cannot make a living here anywhere equal to an ubered out player who can farm for one hour and make a bazillion gold, hence making it unbalanced.