Suggestion: Trinsic Raffle

Name says it all
Kairoz
Apprentice Scribe

Re: Suggestion: Trinsic Raffle

Post by Kairoz »

Possum12 wrote:I accept the idea of knowing how many tickets have been purchased before a raffle is drawn would most likely be detrimental to the overall money sunk into that particular raffle by the shard population.

But....

Once raffle is drawn would it be negative for future raffles if a partial disclosure was listed on the stone?

e.g.
Player "X" won raffle with a total of 20 tickets from pool of 10,000,000 tickets sold.

Think I would be happy with just this amount of disclosure.
In my opinion, this is a very consistent idea. It would be great if +C give this some attention. After all, it seems to be a perfect solution to this public issue that this post-draw info be available, because it preserves the logic of a not knowning purchasing and simultanesly give the players some fair ground to speculate and decide about how far we can go on buying those tickets.

About transparency, i'm not bothered about not knowing quantities, but not knowing in a clear base how exactly the raffle system works, i mean if there is a purely randomness element (1 ticket win) or if not, that is, who buys more tickets necessarily wins.
Johnny Warren
Legendary Scribe

Post by Johnny Warren »

Possum12 wrote:I accept the idea of knowing how many tickets have been purchased before a raffle is drawn would most likely be detrimental to the overall money sunk into that particular raffle by the shard population.

But....

Once raffle is drawn would it be negative for future raffles if a partial disclosure was listed on the stone?

e.g.
Player "X" won raffle with a total of 20 tickets from pool of 10,000,000 tickets sold.

Think I would be happy with just this amount of disclosure.
Since the raffles run one after the other indefinitely, even letting the server see a single raffle result compromises the whole situation. It's essentially the same as letting people see a running tally, in that the reaction from players will be the same. They look at the fact that most players spent 10+mil on the TH raffle and decide to only buy 10 tickets next time (instead of the 100 they bought this time) and then that's a big reduction in spending from that player. Repeat that 40 times across a bunch of mid range players (I'm gonna keep dropping 10mil every time a TH is raffled even though I have never won a single one) and suddenly that's a huge chunk of gold not being sunk.

I find it amusing we keep referring to "a couple of players win all the raffles". What you mean is "Fist is a raffle boss and I wish I had their stratagem (or [exex balance) for winning all the raffles." This exact situation was mentioned previously months/years ago when Fist was beast-moding the raffle stones again and +C spent some of his precious time that he gives to us for free looking into them only to say that the raffles seem to go to those that are statistically advantaged. Use the link at the bottom of my post to read the old thread and you'll see that Fist drops 200+ mil per year on raffles. That's likely more than most players. That makes me think statistically they should win it more...

I think we all need to get over it. The RNG hates you, it hates me and it is a fickle beast. Want to win more? Spend more. I have won a fair few raffle items (those damn ethy kits) with 1 ticket, plenty with 10 tickets, and then lost millions upon millions on the top tier ones. I won 2 PWT in a row on the donation bonus token raffles by dropping 8mil tokens into each of the last 2 raffles. I assumed most people had busted their token ledgers on the previous 4 raffles and, voila! I was right, buy a boat load more tickets than everyone else and you have a statistically better chance of winning.

I've done hundreds of gaunt runs for nothing before and someone joins me and gets the BC third boss... that's what random is. If you don't like the gamble, don't gamble. But as Qui Gon Jinn say's to Watto: "Whenever you gamble my friend, eventually, you'll lose." In raffles it is a zero sum game.

The only info that would be neat would be to know if the draw is simply 100% random, or if there is some bizarre coin flip into random (like the TC vendor stone). I sincerely hope it is the former, but even this information risks players trying to game the system and buying less tickets.

Buy more, or stop buying, the raffles do their job well as +C has previously stated.

PS also as Muolke said, I think more frequent auctions would certainly work very, very exceedingly well at sinking gold as well... :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance

For reference here is +C's take on the raffle system:
+Colibri wrote:There's even been reports/claims of cheating, thought I've reviewed the logs and odds 2 times, and it's all working as intended. If someone buys 30% of the tickets, they will be winning 30% of the time... yeah, works as intended.

It would be possible to put a cap on how many tickets a single player can buy, but that would defeat the main purpose, to sink as much gold as possible... and also some would then buy through friends, etc, probably best to keep it simple as it is.
found in this thread, which reads like a perfect copy of this thread lol...
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13011&p=75074&hilit=raffle#p75074
JOHNNY WARREN!
Handrius
Apprentice Scribe

Post by Handrius »

I thinks its hilarious that the people who win all the time have no problem with how it is now lol. if i was filthy rich and had nothing else to spend gold on id also have no problem with winning 3 personal teleporters lol. i think it would be a good idea to set up a different set of raffles that cap out on tickets but dont make it as constant as the trinsic raffle.
Johnny Warren
Legendary Scribe

Post by Johnny Warren »

*Wins the HBoH raffle*

"Can confirm, raffles stones are working perfectly." :lool: :lool: :lool:
JOHNNY WARREN!
Fist
Elder Scribe

Post by Fist »

Very interesting thread to say the least :-). For those wondering I play 90% of the raffles. I spend 1 million on the smaller, 5 million on the #2 stone and 10 million on the big items. On occasion I play 2.5 million on sandals and 5 million on Enchanted Runebooks as I am collecting those items.
Possum12
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Possum12 »

Nice to see your outlay on the Trinsic Raffles.

All I can say is that you are freakishly lucky winning so many of them by outlaying such a small amount.

While for myself 1 million on the smaller raffles is the most I also outlay, if its something I might want or its just like 60-100k on others just to be in it.

For Stone #2 I used to often outlay 8-10 million on each for relayer deeds or HBoH's etc. Don't do that anymore because I finally realized it was an insanely stupid thing to do!!!! For the price of a little over twice what I was risking each raffle I could buy it from the ED room. (Though I did win a relayer deed once - so I figure it cost me 3-4k ED's)

For Stone #1 *Starts Crying* At least 4 times I have pumped 50-60 million on each of the prizes for a zero return.
(Two were water houses, one a Titan Hammer & one an ancient yumi)

While I don't outlay those amounts anymore I still have put in around 8-15 million often.
(Note:- Not on things like cloak/sash/earings or ring ones)
Tarkin Lamere in-game
Johnny Warren
Legendary Scribe

Post by Johnny Warren »

Possum12 wrote:Nice to see your outlay on the Trinsic Raffles.

All I can say is that you are freakishly lucky winning so many of them by outlaying such a small amount.
I must admit I was pretty shocked at the numbers. I assume you're being honest Fist, if that is the case, you are a very lucky player lol.

I routinely have similar amounts on all those raffles. I don't waste my time on the useless ones like earrings, mistvale clothes etc. But yeah, I put a fair bit more into things like HBoH and Relayer deeds... You must have some good RL luck methinks. :)
JOHNNY WARREN!
thuanlinh
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by thuanlinh »

It is so nice to see something getting attention in the game.

I read through the thread and if the idea is to sink gold, then no harm in trying something different a few times. If the end result is less gold, then go back to this system. When you don't or not willing to try, it does give more of an appearance something is wrong.

Having said that, I have no clue how easy or hard it is to implement something different.
sarmatian
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by sarmatian »

Handrius wrote: ...if i was filthy rich and had nothing else to spend gold on id also have no problem with winning ..
Do, what i do in RL ... I do not play lotteries. I do not complain that I did not won ...again.
Saved money go into future purchases of items that I consider worth to have...
Yes, I do have my budget when i donate and for that I buy items considered necessary ... like HBoH.
I still ride "Ridable Pack Llama" .. not so cool , who cares?
Fist
Elder Scribe

Post by Fist »

qbf wrote:
Possum12 wrote:Nice to see your outlay on the Trinsic Raffles.

I must admit I was pretty shocked at the numbers. I assume you're being honest Fist, if that is the case, you are a very lucky player lol.

I routinely have similar amounts on all those raffles. I don't waste my time on the useless ones like earrings, mistvale clothes etc. But yeah, I put a fair bit more into things like HBoH and Relayer deeds... You must have some good RL luck methinks. :)
I have very good real life luck :-)
Attachments
ball.jpg
ball.jpg (755.04 KiB) Viewed 3427 times
Isaac Newton
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Isaac Newton »

You are lucky the apples aren't falling on your head. Those things hurt.
Isaac Newton

What sad times are these when passing ruffians can say ‘Ni’ at will to old ladies.
Handrius
Apprentice Scribe

Post by Handrius »

lol another HboH won by the same 4 people who win the raffles. at this point every night before the draw I pick one of the 4 and I'm usually not far off on who will win it. esp if its worth 400eds or more. :lool:
Silent
Legendary Scribe

Post by Silent »

You should open a betting system on those 4 names.

set some odds, post on forum, take my money :p
Lurking the forums since dec 2012
Handrius
Apprentice Scribe

Post by Handrius »

I want to make it clear I understand its a gold sink meant for end game. I don't have any ill feelings towards anyone because they have disposable gold to obtain some items. Just wish there was some other raffles that sold a limit of tickets so it can level it out. For one person to spend 5mill on an item worth 500eds seems like its making them richer???
Handrius
Apprentice Scribe

Post by Handrius »

Silent wrote:You should open a betting system on those 4 names.

set some odds, post on forum, take my money :p
lol I really should. get alittle side action going,