UOSteam unable to start (0xc000007b)

Name says it all
Impious
Novice Scribe

UOSteam unable to start (0xc000007b)

Post by Impious »

Anyone know how to get UO Steam to work when it's saying 'The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application.'?

I've run the program as admin, I've enabled .net 3.5 framework, DirectX is the latest version
Luna
Expert Scribe

Re: UOSteam unable to start (0xc000007b)

Post by Luna »

This happened before when Windows swapped the MS Visual C++ runtimes with 64-bit versions. UO and Steam are 32-bit software. (This is only one possible reason)

First try running UOS in compatibility mode. If that doesn't work, delete the following files:
c:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcp100.dll
c:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcp100d.dll
c:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcr100.dll
c:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcr100_clr0400.dll
c:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcr100d.dll
Make a backup copy!

Then download the MS runtime C++ 2005 8.x (x86) redistributable and install. (Google)
You can also reinstall UOS once this is done to reset the SxS (Side by Side) configuration of Windows.
Tell me if it worked

Meow
nocturne7saint
Elder Scribe

Post by nocturne7saint »

just got a new pc today and having this issue. hope i can solve it quick or my bees are going to die LOL.
but in all seriousness i installed the redistributable and still having the issue.

for this one c:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcr100_clr0400.dll
when i try and rename it to msvcr100_clr0400.dll_backup it says i need permission from trusted installer
blackstone from the ILV guild
nocturne7saint
Elder Scribe

Post by nocturne7saint »

well i fixed it, had to do a clean install of windows 11.
blackstone from the ILV guild
JamesCrusader
Novice Scribe

Post by JamesCrusader »

Good day,

to follow-up with Blackstone [ILV] here are the steps taken to troubleshoot the issue. These steps have been performed on a Windows 11 operating system.

1. Verify the Microsoft Runtime packages present on the computer system.
a) After benchtesting Uo Steam only Microsoft Runtime 2010 (x86) is required for the software to run properly.
b) The Runtime package is available here: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/w ... w=msvc-170
2. We went through the following steps which were suggested by HowToGeek website:
a) Update Microsoft Windows.
b) Try running the app in administrative mode.
c) Uninstalling/reinstalling the app.
d) Scan & if necessary fix corrupted windows system files by:
i. Opening a command prompt window in administrative mode (click on the start menu button then type command prompt) then
look on the right side for "Run as administrator".
ii. Type: DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
iii. Type: SFC /scannow
e) These steps were taken from here: https://www.howtogeek.com/874113/how-to ... em%20files.
3. Trying to update the video adapter driver using the manufacturer's recommended driver for the device.
4. Fixing DirectX files which may be too recent on Windows 11 which is using built-in DirectX12 by installing Direct X runtime (June 2010).
a) The file is available here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... px?id=8109
5. In last as a preventive measure verifying the software was properly installed into C:\Program Files (x86)\AOS

Unfortunately all of this hasn't resolved the issue. I'm a bit astonished however it's possible at this point that a few other things be responsible for the issue such as the fact that the computer is very recent with recent hardware like a NVIDIA GeForce 3060 ti.

I also note that Blackstone mentions the app has never been running properly on this computer system he is using. He also mentions that the shop which has installed his operating system makes him access it through the built-in administrator account which may also cause some conflicts.

This is the best I can do for now until I get more information on the issue.

Good Luck,
JamesCrusader
Last edited by JamesCrusader on Wed May 03, 2023 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JamesCrusader
Novice Scribe

Post by JamesCrusader »

Good day,

as I have suspected some issues have their root causes grounded into details which would at length consume too much time to explain/resolve. I yesterday have suggested to try installing a second operating system on his computer system and to try to get UO Steam to work properly as this would replace all potential corrupted files which are causing the issue. I have also advised him that at this point this might not only resolve the issue but also prove to be time saving to all best committed efforts.

Blackstone [ILV] has just contacted me to mention that him and his friend have simply re-installed Windows 11 as he did have already created a backup copy of his files. He confirms that the issue is now resolved and that the application is working properly.

Thank you,
JamesCrusader