AFK Check

Name says it all
sxsilver
Apprentice Scribe

AFK Check

Post by sxsilver »

In my 21 days of playing (10 days of actual play) I had my first "AFK" check. While running full speed through a dungeon....wait what....I was asked what month it was. That's a super good question...let me check my computer date....answered. Believe it or not I have a wife and a one year old to tend to. If I cannot immediately check your crack question (which I don't know off the top of my head) do I lose everything?

Seriously I don't know what the date is what month it is what time it is... But should I invest time into something that can screw me over in two minutes or less?
Johnny Warren
Legendary Scribe

Re: AFK Check

Post by Johnny Warren »

Yeah I must admit I never know the answer to the questions either, I generally just reply "Um..." or default to "42". +K Doesn't mind what the answer is, if you respond with anything basically you pass, just checking you're there. I have 2 kids and an annoying puppy and I get the AFK check is annoying, I generally hit pause in my macro and then my hide or recall home macro if I know I have to head off for 30sec or more.

As to why you were checked whilst running full speed through a dungeon, I think you raise a valid point. There was once when I was in a situation, I can't recall exactly what it was but I remember thinking "Wow, did it really seem like I was AFK then?" I think the AFK checks are absolutely necessary and I have advocated for more and more frequent, and doubling back on people obviously macroing, as sadly there has been much farming of gold when it was left unattended. So, despite the checks being really important, I do think that +K and +C could show some more restraint as to when they check. I imagine it is fairly easy to watch a player for a few secs and see what they're doing, rather than just check everyone that is not banksitting.
JOHNNY WARREN!
Melkor
Legendary Scribe

Post by Melkor »

They asked you what month it is and you didn’t know it was August?

The questions are meant to be no brainers and different every time so people don’t add to their macro common answers when triggered.
TDC Guild
Gaara
Legendary Scribe

Post by Gaara »

sxsilver wrote:I had my first "AFK" check. While running full speed through a dungeon....wait what....
There's been some rail scripts around where people can just run "full speed" through a dungeon as you mentioned. While AFK.
sxsilver wrote:Believe it or not I have a wife and a one year old to tend to. If I cannot immediately check your crack question (which I don't know off the top of my head) do I lose everything?

Seriously I don't know what the date is what month it is what time it is... But should I invest time into something that can screw me over in two minutes or less?
If you suddenly have to leave the computer, you can and should bind a hotkey to a macro that recalls you to a safe spot. If you can't pay attention to the game you shouldn't be doing activities that are not allowed to be AFK'd. Simple really. There's more than enough time to answer an AFK check if you're actually playing the game... Also i'm sure +K/+C are reasonable with punishments if some newbie happened to fail an AFK check, for the first time at least.
Nick
Legendary Scribe
Location: PA native, liveing in NC right now Moveing to TX in march

Post by Nick »

Well finding the Month or date in two minuites shouldn't be very hard to do. We need a lot more and more aggressive AFK script resorce gathering checks. I do a fair amount of rune book wepaon leveling, Bally killing and Plate Element runic tool farming and I very rarly get AFK checked. Mainly just watch it on the second screen while working on school to make-sure I don't accidently Kill steal someone.

I am a razor only user but there are some other client users that have near god tear gathering scripts that will hide recall out automaticly if they see another person at all (cough cough Bally routes) and this adds hundreds of millions if not billions in to the game. So yes, if you cant be bothered to answer what month it is, or what game are your playing then maybe you should look for antother game to invest your time into.

Nick
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Post by Wil »

Melkor wrote:They asked you what month it is and you didn’t know it was August?
The first time I was AFK-checked the question was along the lines of "what's 1+1" and yes, it took a good 15 seconds for me to recover my wits enough to come up with the answer.

Being AFK-checked is basically the "scary maze game" prank, UOEX style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WjDrQ0IhBw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYvpsJkneiA
Johnny Warren
Legendary Scribe

Post by Johnny Warren »

Aye Wil, it certainly gets the heart racing.

My macro spams "[enemy] The Slayer" every 800ms or so. So I can actually have the questions pushed off the screen really quickly. I know there are limited options for +C to do to make these AFK checks, but yeah, something that's not me speaking would be easier for me personally to see when I am using that auto attack script.

All said and done I am very grateful for the work +K does during their rounds, it must be a tedious task, but it keeps the economy and markets much more honest.
JOHNNY WARREN!
Nick
Legendary Scribe
Location: PA native, liveing in NC right now Moveing to TX in march

Post by Nick »

first time I experianced the current version of the inperson checks I spent the first 30 seconds or so trying to figure out how the chiv spell "clense by fire" had gotten added into my maco script because the purpel plume of fire that was being spamed on my toon and I was checking my script for the line of code that had added this in and didn't even notice "what game is this?" was in my over head speak (it was suposed to only be "hunt four" or something like that). I ended up getting trasported to jail because I hadn't responded but, was let go with no afk punishment because I had turned off my macro and as soon I was teloported I relized it was a AFK check and not a macro bug and answered the question and explained what had happend.

It was supper confusing... now I know that random pillers of purple fire (or white too I think) and over head text over my toon that im not typing mean its an AFK check and to answer the question.
arrow
Legendary Scribe

Post by arrow »

first time i almost got jailed with the new afk checks I was trying to find part of a quest and all of a sudden these flamestrikes started appearing, hrmmmm quest is around here somewhere, hrmmmm something invisible talking to me, whoooosh oh geeze I bet this is jail, oh Hi Kimane!!!
Always remember to pillage before you burn!-----------Unknown
Jantra
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Jantra »

First time I got AFK checked in the new way, I was in the depths of a dungeon surrounded by mobs I had overpulled and I thought I was being killed by a mob I had never seen before. I nearly pooped my pants trying to panic recall as my battle macro, which spammed my battle target over my head, kept pushing the 'What game is this?' off so fast I barely could make it out. :(
sarmatian
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by sarmatian »

Melkor wrote:They asked you what month it is and you didn’t know it was August?
The questions are meant to be no brainers
I had similar experience ... just got hit with spell by Lich Lord ..running away from all such nasty creatures ..
and I see certain black flame wall and some text with murmuring "What month is it? ..."
when I moved my eyes from far away tracking for Lich Lords ...I started to wonder "what spell was it scrambling my memory" and "how long it will last?"
Then I have seen our benevolent guardian "protecting against AFK since ..." and I focused on conversation and answered question .. :-)
I am small rabbit in large world.

Please, avoid as hell questions about time, I live between three zones .. home, company hq and dear customer ....
sxsilver
Apprentice Scribe

Post by sxsilver »

Thanks. A lot of good stories so I am not alone. TBH better then some acidic posts and its great to see the player base is mostly good as well as the admins. Sometimes due to my macro I just kill the client and hope for the best because I just have to jump and go....it's called a 1 year old! I like the server and hope to support and be a part of it :)