Where have all the colours gone?! Hues not returning?

Name says it all
Johnny Warren
Legendary Scribe

Where have all the colours gone?! Hues not returning?

Post by Johnny Warren »

Hey +C are all the missing hues (read good hues) really, truly reserved by guilds? Seems like a ridiculous number are gone. And only trash hues are left for those of use that don't want to monopolise a colour...

Hue reservation impinges on the fun of all!

Discuss and address folks....

JW
JOHNNY WARREN!
Gaara
Legendary Scribe

Re: Where have all the colours gone?! Hues not returning?

Post by Gaara »

IMO there shouldn't be reserved hues. Guilds could still have easy access if they pay for a hue but currently there's quite many people who just hog multiple hues on alts which isn't fine...

Also, some past GM reserved hues are still reserved, stuff that was reserved for a specific GM's wardrobe :P
culichi
Legendary Scribe

Post by culichi »

:verymad: :verymad:
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

They're taken up by guilds, and there's a half-finished upgrade that should take out a monthly fee from the guildstone, though it needs finishing. So when that's finished, and after a certain grace period for everyone to be informed, a lot of the hues should free up.

Edit: i just noticed i wrote the word "finish" three times. Well, four times now. :mrgreen:
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)
Johnny Warren
Legendary Scribe

Post by Johnny Warren »

+Colibri wrote: So when that's finished, and after a certain grace period for everyone to be informed, a lot of the hues should free up.
In +C we trust... thanks for addressing this.
JOHNNY WARREN!
Silent
Legendary Scribe

Post by Silent »

qbf wrote: Hue reservation impinges on the fun of all!
JW
Have been away for quite a while just lurking forums and hope all is well with you guys!
I honestly agree with this observation. I once had an issue with a GM colour because I had a lot of that HUE back at NPC dresses and etc and when I paged for him he realized that and changed them all back to grey (including me) ... not sure if you can use a HUE that its reserved or it is blocked now but back then I was either older than him or it was faulty haha

I understand the GM part for confusion with newbies and also the guild part for the fashion of it, but if there are that many colours reserved than the price should be very high for turning Excelsior a greyer place.

Despite this I cant help to wonder if are there really those many guilds or people are just reserving personal hues using guilds.

TIP for DEV: A fun thing to add that would ruin a bit all the scheming going on and also create a more cohese group of players would be to add a minimum number of players in a guild requirement to be valid to reserve a HUE. This actually makes a lot of sense since something used by a community should not be locked by price but by the number of users who would take advantage of it and also make guild unite since with a stable player base of this sort there is no need to have people so dispersed.

Kind regards to all,
Lurking the forums since dec 2012
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

Yeah, i think with that last upgrade (that's now half finished) we were going to limit it to only one hue reservation per account. I forgot if this restriction was then coded, or it's still possible to create alt characters and make a guild just for the purpose of reserving a guild.

And yeah, might make sense to make this possible only for guilds with a certain number of members. And I was thinking, at the time we made this guild ledger for payment conveniance (so you can just load it up with a lot of gold and it will auto renew), but might be better to make it similar to the World Teleporter Shop Rental - to only be able to renew it for one period in advance (well, even if it's two periods), to avoid cases where someone just loads a ton of gold there and then forgets about it, and the hue is locked away for years.

Overall, I don't mind the "multiple personal hues hack", but there are too few nice hues, and too many people who would want multiple hues each, for the math to work out.
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)
Johnny Warren
Legendary Scribe

Post by Johnny Warren »

+Colibri wrote:
Overall, I don't mind the "multiple personal hues hack", but there are too few nice hues, and too many people who would want multiple hues each, for the math to work out.
The last but is the problem.... most hues are hot garbage and all the nice ones are gone to either greedy individuals or to inactive.guilds. I know there are some active.guilds that have a hue reserved, power to them. But when your average Joe finally gets their cerulean dragon only to have to scrape.and scratch for a semi decent hue it is a bit sad. :(

As long as the system is designed so only active guilds who use their hue can reserve is (for a manageable cost). Inactive or defunct guilds have no reason to hog a hue. If they needed to log in to manually put their next payment in, even if just quarterly or bi monthly it would return all the guild hues that have been loaded u p with gold and we will never see back again. Either that or remove all hues together and we play in monochrome!!
JOHNNY WARREN!
Slartibartfast
Master Scribe

Post by Slartibartfast »

Silent wrote:a minimum number of players in a guild requirement to be valid to reserve a HUE.
qbf wrote:only active guilds who use their hue can reserve
I like those two ideas combined. So a certain number of monthly active guild members required to reserve a hue. If the magic number was 10 active members (just an example), a guild of 20 would need 50% monthly activity to qualify for the hue; a guild of 30 would need 34% monthly activity. If their monthly activity drops below that, give them a grace period to try and get it back up before freeing up their hue.
+Colibri wrote:only be able to renew it for one period in advance (well, even if it's two periods)
This is a good idea, too. I think a combination of those requirements would ensure that an acceptable percentage of the community is using (or at least is able to use) a reserved hue and would also do well to keep a lot of good hues usable for the larger community.
In Game: Billy Blacksmith

EasyUO:
Journal Spy | Heal n' Feed

ALT + 42
Zeratul
Elder Scribe

Post by Zeratul »

Good evening.

I think that it is time we bring this topic back up.

When the original change was made the intent was that each guild would be charged a monthly fee to maintain their hue. Dude never happened

There is no reason that we can’t use “restricted hues”. I did the same thing a lot of you have done and created a guild using an alt and reserved a hue that I like. I’m willing to allow anyone to use it.

I say that we put this to a vote.

I don’t know how to make a poll but my suggestions are;
1. Keep as is
2. Revert the change restriction the use of reserved hues.
Silent
Legendary Scribe

Post by Silent »

I would still like to bump the idea of a guild requiring a certain amount of players to be able to reserve a hue. Everyone should be allowed to "dress" like they want, only a community of players should be allowed to restrict the remaining players use of a colour.

On a side note: The main point of having uni dye tubs was to be able to use good colours and we are running short of those. Also players are reserving guild hues for themselves and skipping the need for those dye items.

The way things are it would be simple to just have "free guild hue" and no reserves at all like it was back in god knows how far ago.
Lurking the forums since dec 2012
Johnny Warren
Legendary Scribe

Post by Johnny Warren »

I honestly think far far too many of the good hues are taken and would support any change that made more colours available to everyone. It's getting to the point where everyone not in a guild is rocking one of the 5 decent hues left out there.
JOHNNY WARREN!
Muolke
Legendary Scribe

Post by Muolke »

Create a stone and charge 50,000 gold per month to keep the hue. Give people 30 days to comply and if you don't pay up then you lose it. Problem solved.
apocalypse
Elder Scribe

Post by apocalypse »

I agree with freeing up all hues, there is obviously abuse of the system, and I personally would give up my one reserved hue if it meant I had access to them all again.

If it is a steep monthly fee to reserve a hue for a guild, then it will limit the use to only those who have enough players and can afford it.

1 per account for sure, as 1 player could potential have 5+ hues reserved, which is crazy.
Jean Luc Picard in game
Matrix
Legendary Scribe

Post by Matrix »

+1 for "freeing up all hues"
Please reply to me:
in-game: [pm Matrix
discord id: Matrixre
(Only checking the forums monthly)
(All prices can be change, ED to Gold to ED)