Combat with Axe and lumberjacking skill gain

Name says it all
+Colibri
Administrator

Combat with Axe and lumberjacking skill gain

Post by +Colibri »

Melee combat with an axe also brings with it some lumberjacking bonus, looks like it's canonical http://www.uoguide.com/Axes
I thought we have an outdated formula, but it looks like the same formula is in the current version of ServUO.

So every time you hit something with an axe, it's like chopping an tree that has the kind of difficulty that brings you from 0 to 120, and this makes training lumberjacking on actual trees obsolete, and could be improved.

Any thoughts on this?
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Re: Combat with Axe and lumberjacking skill gain

Post by Wil »

Can we add whacking stuff with a pickaxe for mining gains?
jradford
Master Scribe

Post by jradford »

I dont believe using an axe or pick as a weapon should give gains for lumberjack or mining. Those are different skills. Just my 2 cents.
Aerith
Master Scribe

Post by Aerith »

Been the same on every shard of played on. Dont see anything wrong with gaining LJ by using an axe, its not hurting anyone. Can we fix Karate Belt quest please?
basher762
Passer by

Post by basher762 »

So, little miffed here about the arbitrary LJ patching.
Seems I have missed the chance to fight my way to 120 for no apparent reason!

So, aside from venting about feeling screwed. I have a couple of questions.

1) Why cap LJ gains from fighting at 100, why not just remove the ability to gain LJ from fighting? It seems either, arbitrary or that someone started complaining about how easy it was to skill up and produce petrified.

2) Does LJ still factor into damage calculations? If it does factor into melee damage, why cap gains at 100 "using it to" fight monsters?

3) Why does Swordsmanship even cover axes? Would LJ not be a better skill to base proficiency on swinging an ax? Swords and axes handle quite differently.

4) Why can I cast Clumsy or Weaken on myself and get Eval Int gains past 100? Why can I get gains at all for evaluating my own intelligence?
I dont believe using an axe or pick as a weapon should give gains for lumberjack or mining. Those are different skills. Just my 2 cents.
If I killed monsters all day, every day with an ax and then started to swing my ax at a stationary object, I would be pretty good at hitting that stationary object...
basher762
Passer by

Post by basher762 »

Does LJ factor into Swordsmanship damage still?