From UO Excelsior Wiki - Ultima Online Free Shard
As pets fight they will gain experience points. As they gain experience, they will gain levels. At each level, the pet will gain some variable amount of ability points for the owner to distribute to that pet's stats, resists, damage, etc- the amount is completely random.
Pets only gain experience from physical attacks at this time. They won't gain experience from magic attacks, nor will they gain experience from fighting players, or trainers in the training room. Pets will gain experience from fighting personal trainers.
The amount of experience gained per attack is based on the creature it is fighting. If the creature is weak, the pet will gain a small amount of experience each attack. If the creature is strong, the pet will gain a larger amount.
A pet owner can click once on a pet and open "NPC Info" from the context menu. From this menu you can see a lot of information about your pet: Level, Max Level, Next Level, Ability Points, some other basic information about your pet, and a few buttons to interact with your pet.
- If the pet is at or above level 9, you will see a button for pet breeding (The pet breeder can be found in Britain behind Britain Bank).
- The second button will allow you to distribute any ability points your pet may have (click the red diamond to bring up the ability point distribution menu).
- The third button will simply allow you to exit the menu.
Once you have the ability points distribution menu up, you will have options on where to apply your pet's ability points. Some options might be locked depending on your pet's level. As your pet gains in levels, it will unlock more options on where to apply ability points. You may save the ability points for later, as they can be applied at any time.
Remember, pets cannot breed after level 42 or 9th generation.
To see more about pet breeding and applying ability points see pet breeding.
These are the maximum points you can get your pet's stats to from breeding. You can then use ointments to get them a little higher by about 10%.
Players can bond their pet(s) by purchasing a Pet Bonding Deed from blue vendor stone in front of the Trinsic bank for tokens. After buying it, double click that deed and target a pet to bond it to you.
Pet will also bond to a player naturally, make sure the pet is Wonderfully Happy by feeding the pet, you can view what to feed your pet by using Animal Lore. Stable the pet for a week. After a week, you can claim your pet, feed it, and it should have naturally bonded to you.
If your pet is not bonded to you, then when it dies it will be gone for good.
If your bonded pet dies, it will be a ghost and can be resurrected. Bonded pets can be resurrected either by:
- Pet Resurrection Stone - There is one located near Britain Bank.
- Applying Bandages to a pet - Veterinary Skill must be 80 or higher.
- Resurrection Potions - Player made using brushes and animal taming skill.
When bonded pets die, they have a 25% chance to take a death penalty. There are 3 different things that might happen upon death:<
- The pet's available ability points could be halved
- The pet's total exp could be halved
- The pet can suffer a 5% loss on all stats
Should your pet get 'stat loss', you can counter the effects by applying mixed Ointments to it. This isn't recommended though.