Winter Event 2017

Keep track of this topic. All announcements and short-term rules will be written here.
+Nyx
Administrator

Winter Event 2017

Post by +Nyx »

It's that time of year again!

The Grinch has teamed up with Jack Frost, Oogie Boogie, and a den of thieves to wreak havoc upon Excelsior! They have created an army of evil minions to protect them in their lair and do their evil bidding. They have stolen all of Santa's gifts, destroyed his magic suit, and are endangering the reindeer population. Without these, there can be no Christmas!

There are 5 quest lines varying in difficulty from relatively easy to rather hard.

These quests will be available until January 5th

For full quest information, event rules, and troubleshooting help please see the wiki page:

http://www.uoex.net/wiki/Winter_Events

Please be aware that by participating in any of the Winter Event quests/areas, you are held to the event rules & restrictions outlined on the wiki page.

This year's updates:

Miscellaneous Updates:
- Various updates for efficiency
- Added a winter festival feast in Moonglow with temporary buff foods
- Added a once-daily mini-quest in Moonglow for a 2-hour "power hour" cloak & a silly deco item (8 total)
- 2 achievements: One for completing both Save Christmas and Santa's Magic Suit quests, and one for completing the reindeer quest 10+ times.

Artist Elf Quest
- Randomized the quest requirements a little. You may receive a book that requires fewer kills than normal.
- Mobs for this quest can now also be found in the mob area for the Santa quest, in smaller numbers.
- Rewards completely overhauled
- Snowglobes now interactive
- New rewards:
  • White Walker action figure, interactive
  • Charlie brown trees
  • North star addon, animated
Save Christmas Quest
- All bosses are now instanced, so you do not need to check to see if the boss is in use before turning your book in for the temporary boss entry items. NOTE: We are aware that the instance gump will let you "invite" other players to your instance, but you will not be able to enter with them, as the max team size for these instances is 1 player.
- Added 2 new rewards: a new stat cloak- Mantle of Frost, and a Zoological sculpture of Oogie Boogie. The sculpture deed is not account bound and may be sold/traded. These sculptures are likely to change each year, so bear that in mind.

Reindeer Quest
- Quest requirements randomized a little - you may receive a book that needs less of the specific items than usual.
- Quest delay reduced from 8 hours to 7.
- Rewards completely overhauled
- Snowglobes updated, they are now interactive and have new names.
- New rewards:
  • Sinister Snowman, interactive
  • Sheet music
  • Animated snow flurries addons (2 types)
  • Spirit of Winter animated addon
  • Interactive santa sleigh addon
  • Zoological sculpture addon
Santa's Magic Suit Quest
- New reward added- Zoological Sculpture. This addon is not account bound and may be sold/traded. Keep in mind that the type of sculpture available is likely to change each year.

The Gift Shop
- Updated snowglobes, now interactive
- New Gift Shop items for sale:
  • Life-sized holiday trees
  • Inscribe-able, dye-able greeting cards
---------

Please remember that if you have any issues with the quest you should report them via paging in-game in order to receive assistance, not here in the forum thread.

---------

Happy Questing!
<3
Opopanax
Legendary Scribe

Re: Winter Event 2017

Post by Opopanax »

Yay! Thanks Nyx! I think the winter quests are my favourite seasonal quests :) I'm also excited to see that there are new rewards.

Hope your Christmas prep in the real world is going well!
In game name: Abarai
Alex
Legendary Scribe

Post by Alex »

Having participated in all Christmas Events (I think) prepared by Nyx since December 2011, I have to say the balance and player experience for all levels of players has improved y-o-y. In prior years, players (myself included) experienced a shortage of mobs or overpowering of mobs (especially for those that remember the first version of the reindeer quest), etc. but in my 2 runs till now, and including the last years, I find the balance good and appropriate and my personal experience is much better. It also allows for mid level players to do the reindeer quest, if they put some strategic thinking into it and not just run Leroy Jenkins into the quest area.

That being said, I really enjoy both quests and find it suits both players well. So once again well done and thanks for putting the thought and effort into it and finding ways to improve it. Thanks for that.

Alex
Baxster
Adept Scribe

Post by Baxster »

Year after year this continues to be my absolute favorite series of quests and each year it keeps getting better. Thanks again for the time and effort spent on setting this up and for keeping it interesting through all the improvements. :mrgreen:
Entora
Master Scribe

Post by Entora »

I am so loving this series of quest this year. Thanks for the life saving and beautiful green cloak!
Immortel
Passer by

Post by Immortel »

Is there anything other than Delivery quests for new players. Honestly im disapointed that i cannot enter anything for x-mas not being over geared :|
Annachie
Elysium Beta Tester

Post by Annachie »

Artistic Elf quest should be quite possible for a newish player.
Character name: Ebony
Alamiester
Legendary Scribe

Post by Alamiester »

what are the quest requirements to recieve the totem? i read through everything a few times but didnt see it anywhere.
[Glyph]
Legendary Scribe

Post by [Glyph] »

10 Elf and 10 Reindeer quest completions will get you the puppet according to Wembley. I am assuming that the full 15 will get the totem although you might need to complete the entire book for Ebeneezer. This is my first year running this so I am not sure. I am curious about the Save Christmas quest. I can do the Reindeer which is labeled as Hard, Is the Saving quest about the same? Are the bosses tougher than those accursed Polar Bears?
Annachie
Elysium Beta Tester

Post by Annachie »

[Glyph] wrote:10 Elf and 10 Reindeer quest completions will get you the puppet according to Wembley. I am assuming that the full 15 will get the totem although you might need to complete the entire book for Ebeneezer. This is my first year running this so I am not sure. I am curious about the Save Christmas quest. I can do the Reindeer which is labeled as Hard, Is the Saving quest about the same? Are the bosses tougher than those accursed Polar Bears?
If you can do reindeer, then Save Christmas should be doable.
You might need help filling the books though. I think the Fallen Angels are Balrons for example.

The bosses are tougher, but not as deadly as the polar bears. But do make sure to take a cloak :)
Alamiester
Legendary Scribe

Post by Alamiester »

i dunno if i can manage the whole save christmas book. them angels kick my butt. if they are ballys i think theyve been juicing, lol. i can get by just fighting the angel alone but pile all them other monsters on top and its too much. especially so since the healing is limited. i guess i will just try to get some cool deco. still pretty fun for the parts i can do.
Annachie
Elysium Beta Tester

Post by Annachie »

Yeah that was me the first year I really tried it. I could only do it if I followed a much better player in.

But the boss fights were doable. It was a connection loss that stopped me finishing the quest that year.
Iago Venport
Elder Scribe

Post by Iago Venport »

Alamiester wrote:i dunno if i can manage the whole save christmas book. them angels kick my butt. if they are ballys i think theyve been juicing, lol. i can get by just fighting the angel alone but pile all them other monsters on top and its too much. especially so since the healing is limited. i guess i will just try to get some cool deco. still pretty fun for the parts i can do.
If you're using Blazin' healer and have the insta-heal dex set the delay to 20 and you'll be ok on healing.
In regards to the Angels...yeah I just run past them until I get to a clump I can handle. The bosses themselves were pretty easy comparatively. hope that helps.

-Iago
Iago Venport
Elder Scribe

Post by Iago Venport »

Does anyone know if it's possible to relayer things into the santa suit? I'd love to rock that thing year round :D

-Iago
Alamiester
Legendary Scribe

Post by Alamiester »

Iago Venport wrote:
Alamiester wrote:i dunno if i can manage the whole save christmas book. them angels kick my butt. if they are ballys i think theyve been juicing, lol. i can get by just fighting the angel alone but pile all them other monsters on top and its too much. especially so since the healing is limited. i guess i will just try to get some cool deco. still pretty fun for the parts i can do.
If you're using Blazin' healer and have the insta-heal dex set the delay to 20 and you'll be ok on healing.
In regards to the Angels...yeah I just run past them until I get to a clump I can handle. The bosses themselves were pretty easy comparatively. hope that helps.

-Iago

yeah i was playin around with pause on it, i think i still had it set to high. thanks ill give that a try.