The Walking Dead Event

Keep track of this topic. All announcements and short-term rules will be written here.
+Nyx
Administrator

The Walking Dead Event

Post by +Nyx »

Returning for its 4th year, the Walking Dead event has begun. This is a highly complex event structure-wise, so if you experience any odd issues while participating, please send me a page and explain it as best you can.

The event will be open until December 3rd.

For information about this event, as well as the event rules, please carefully read the wiki: The Walking Dead Event Wiki

- Please note that again we will keep a close eye on the event as it runs. If, like previous years, it appears that the walkers are far too easy to kill with far too little danger to the player then we will continue to modify it as it goes, and we may or may not modify the rewards accordingly. We are not guaranteeing that the player(s) with the highest kills vs. lowest number of deaths will receive a special reward, because we cannot be sure the event will run with the appropriate level of difficulty involved for each kill. If, at the end of the event the kill vs death numbers seems in line with what we wanted and seem pretty even across all participants (meaning with a fair spread - that the person with the top kills isn't 10x as many kills as the average participant or something equally ridiculous) then we will likely reward special trophies for the top performers.

- We've taken additional steps to prevent any "rubberbanding" on exit. However, since we're not able to test this on a large scale before opening it, take note: If you use the gold sparkles, then all of your actual gear and items will have been returned to you, and you should see a silver sparkle ahead of you. The SILVER sparkles will lead you out of the event. If you have all of your items and you see the GOLD sparkle still, then you were rubberbanded - DO NOT EXIT AGAIN. This will remove all of your own items that were previously stored in the bank. Instead, stay where you are and send a page.

I haven't had time to add a daily quest to the event yet, but I'll try to do that in the next few days.

As always, don't submit bugs/issues/etc here in the thread. If you have any of these, send a page.

Enjoy, shardlings!

+N
Zahrwyn
Passer by

Re: The Walking Dead Event

Post by Zahrwyn »

I don't know if we're supposed to post feedback here but as it stands right now, myself, husband, and friends have decided to no longer bother with this event. Three times I've gotten bitten as soon as I ported to the island. The first part of the island is so populated with zombies that it pretty much guarantees you will be swamped if you stop to try to fight one. Heading over to the other side of the island the population cuts down which is great except it takes 100 hits to kill one and you're pretty much going to be bitten on the last hit.

Hubs got ahold of a bow and it was a little better but it took dying 3 times just to get there from drive-by bites. Dunno if other folks feel this way but challenge is one thing- being setup to fail every time is another.
Nick
Legendary Scribe
Location: PA native, liveing in NC right now Moveing to TX in march

Post by Nick »

The event is pretty cool, if you are having trouble just remember you can run faster than the walkers... you need to find a place where you can go 1 at a time, the iron pipe is pretty easy to find and has a range of 3. if you are using the bat make sure you are 1v1 and are using the primary weapon ability Just make sure you stay over 400 HP if you go blow there you will get "bit" and die (found this out the hard way, was just running around and exploring the map and died so there goes my perfect season there is always next year). The new player forest area to the south of the town is a really easy area to post up and watch a show while clearing the forest. Best of luck out there. also...FYI eventually your robe will disappear (took 3ish hours) and then you need to make your way to the teleport out portal without taking ANY damage or you will die. I now have 2 death.... learn from my mistakes, don't stay more than 3 hours and don't go below 400 HP.
Opopanax
Legendary Scribe

Post by Opopanax »

Not sure how this happened but when I started the event and tried to get past the crates my hp instantly dropped to 100, so I had to spend ages just waiting for it to get back to 500, beofre I could start.
In game name: Abarai
Nick
Legendary Scribe
Location: PA native, liveing in NC right now Moveing to TX in march

Post by Nick »

just go all the way it will up you to 500 as soon as you get all they way in...droping to 100 on the dock happened to me to first time i went in...wasted like 20 min getting my HP back up before I went in the rest of the way only to learn that you auto get to 500 when it spawns you in the field of play. next time you go back just go straight it you don't have to wait to regen the HP. just run around untill you find a metal pipe it has a range of 3 and will let you kill walkers without taking any dmg, don't drop below 400 HP and you will golden.
Sularis
Novice Scribe

Post by Sularis »

What worked for me pretty well, after trying out a lot, is to get a hold on a ranged weapon and a pipe, lure one walker out of a croud and shoot him from a distance to get him to slow down, at around 30% hp I start hitting with the staff to get him down.
this way i save a little on arrows/bolts and don't risk to get too low on health.

What is really helpfull as well is the scavenger- and dress-agents out of Uosteam, when set up i can grab arrows and weapons by staying a really short time at the tile and nearly instantly run away from approaching walkers aswell as switch fast between weapons.

and yeah, of course, run as fast as i can :P
I don't know what I'm doing, but I know how to do it
Opopanax
Legendary Scribe

Post by Opopanax »

Ahh i see, thanks for that! Will try it tonight!

I did manage to find a bow last night and it was fun picking them off, but I couldn't deal with the large crowds of them!
In game name: Abarai
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

The event is now closed. You may go to the entrance building and speak to Jake any time until December 10th, to receive your reward.