Event: Nick of Olds Gaunt run~ Newbies and babies Welcome

This forum is a place for all the guilds of Excelsior to post their news and to have a discussion.
Nick
Legendary Scribe
Location: PA native, liveing in NC right now Moveing to TX in march

Event: Nick of Olds Gaunt run~ Newbies and babies Welcome

Post by Nick »

0830 PM Eastern Standard Time Tuesday the 9th of October (will go until 0930)
Everyone is invited but specifically young and newish players are invited to come with me to Gauntlet, I will explain how the system works and provide a skull for a boat trip and those needed for between 3-4 rounds in gaunt (depending on how it goes)

More the merrier, I will do it solo if no one comes, but if we get 5 ppl doing it our odds go up 200% (twice as many bosses) and if we get ten my odds are 300% (3 bosses in every room) better for getting an Arty (with about the same amount of time) then if I was solo. Member from all guilds are welcome as are veterans, everyone is welcome but understand I will be explaining things to the lowest common denominator the first couple rounds (I can only have a max of 20 ppl with me but I've never run into that problem)

Why do gauntlet? Duh, you get a chance for an Arty, most of them are pure trash but bone crushers will net you 10 million gold, Spirt of Totum 5 million or more and some others are somewhat useful. Since the change we don't have enough ppl doing gaunt and we have a shortage of BCs on the Market, hopefully some of you decide you like grinding the gaunt and actually get some good drops and eventually bring down the price of BCs a little because I'm not cool with paying 250 ED for one lol.

Rules for Nick of olds gaunt runs:

1) no pets, they slow us down and are annoying. If you are riding a nightmare or a mule and jump off and send it into battle IDC just remount fast and stay with the pack. We need to move from room to quickly and waiting for pets to stay with the group is aggravating. PET HITS DO NOT COUNT FOR AN ARTY CHANCE YOU MUST HIT IT WITH YOUR OWN WEAPON.

2) Everything in gauntlet drops trash loot I am claiming the corps in an effort to recoop a small percentage of the Sculls I'm dropping to host the run and keep the group together by eliminating the temptation to look through corps for something that isn't trash.

3) YOU MUST HIT EACH BOSS AT LEAST ONCE WITH YOUR OWN WEAPON OR you do not get an arty chance. So when we run from room to room WAIT FOR THE GROUP if you're particularly fast before you go in. As a general rule when I run in your good to go, (yes, if you are just gumming up the works and being belligerent ill leave you behind) we are trying to avoid the scenario where someone kills the boss (they are kinda weak) before the slow guy gets a hit in.

4) Arties will fall straight to your backpack, not to the corps, IF YOU GET AN ARTY CONGRATULATIONS IT IS YOURS there is no pool or required sharing of ARTIES (DUH, but I've been asked that before when I hosted runs) it is completely luck of the draw you might get 6 bone crushers on one run (posable but will not happen) or go ten rounds with not even a single drop. In GAME LUCK HELPS get more drops but not better drops (and I don't know how much the LUCK actually help)

5) if you want to join in but weren't there at the beginning you are more than welcome to but, you need to get to gauntlet on your own, I will not leave the group in gaunt and drop another skull just to bring you across on the boat.

6) Yes, I know these rules are against the posted gaunt rules but if you want me to pay for the runs and hopefully teach some of the younger folks how to do gaunt runs you will abide by them; if someone objects I am required to abide by the posted rules, not the ones I made up so SORRY THE FUN WILL JUST END and the runs will be over, so please don't be a griefing jerk and ruin the fun.
Last edited by Nick on Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Nick
Legendary Scribe

Re: Event: Nick of Olds Gaunt run~ Newbies and babies Welcome

Post by Nick »

The run on 23 April was fun, had 8 people at one point, completed 11 rounds and we had 15-18 arty drops (one guy got 5 one guy got none most of us got 1-2 which included one SOT but no BCs this time. Fun times we will repeat again, remember newbies are welcome to come and learn and have a free chance at riches in the Gauntlet you just need to be able to stand there and fire a bow over my shoulder, Vets are welcome too as long as you can tolerate things being explained and the first round or two being slow as things are talked through.
Attachments
GUANT 23 april 2.png
GUANT 23 april 2.png (165.79 KiB) Viewed 8259 times
GUANT 23 april.png
GUANT 23 april.png (160.52 KiB) Viewed 8241 times
Achaus
Journeyman Scribe

Post by Achaus »

This looked like a lot of fun. Hopefully I can make it next time. Would love to learn a bit about the Gauntlet.
sky
Apprentice Scribe

Post by sky »

Yup can only recommend it to anyone :). Will be joning again if i'm on gotta improve my Luck :D
Nick
Legendary Scribe

Post by Nick »

0700 Saturday the 29th of April, expect it to last 1.5 -2 hours I will be at Brit bank partying up about 5 min early. plz read the main post...
Blathzar
Elder Scribe

Post by Blathzar »

I'll try to be there. Gauntlet is always fun with more people. If possible can you give the time at which the event will take place in shard time ? Thank you!
Alibaster
Legendary Scribe

Post by Alibaster »

Nick wrote:0700 Saturday the 29th of April, expect it to last 1.5 -2 hours I will be at Brit bank partying up about 5 min early. plz read the main post...
Based upon your original post I assume the time is 7 am Eastern time again. Any chance you would consider mixing it up and doing one alter in the day? I'm Pacific time here and getting up at 4 am is not an option. I would love to learn how to do a run.
Alibaster in game!!
Nick
Legendary Scribe

Post by Nick »

I will certainly do an afternoon or night one sometime but, at 12 my time I'm driving across the US to South Carolina and spending a week at the beach... wife is going to be pissed at me for even playing the morning we leave.

and I think shard time is 4 hours ahead of me (EST) so the event will be at 11 am shard time...or 0700 EST I think that is the same though...
Nick
Legendary Scribe

Post by Nick »

Well it was a good time this morning even if the gods were VERY stingy with their drops, couple of midlevels like armor of fortune but none of the good ones (bone crusher, spirit of totem or jackals collar) and overall the drop rate was WAY slower today than last time... we did 9 round (+or- 1 I lost count) most of them with triple spawns and we only had 6-8 drops across the group (could be more but that's how many I saw called out)

Notes for the future;
1) Please ride a mount, it really slows things down if you are on foot. ill try and grab a few horses next time just in case.

2) Please remember I don't really care about the gold but use the excuse that I'm paying for rounds with the skulls to justify claiming all the body. I am doing claim on the corps to keep the group together and to keep ppl from feeling they are getting cheated out of their turn to loot stuff. It slows the group down a lot and is unfair to other party members if you are using EasyUO to grab gold off the corps. if you have something special running to look for 4x38s or 8/8s (again gauntlet loot is pretty much just trash but hey it could happen I guess) i don't mind but do not be the last out of the room each time. again the number one priority is keeping the group together and moving quickly from room to room

3) wait by the door to the next room for me/party leader, if someone is dragging feet horribly ill/party leader will talk to them and will make the call if we are going to start the next room without them. You have to do some damage to each boss to get an arty chance so if you run in and start fighting others will too and the little bosses die fast and ppl miss out on their chance (particularly with the shadow knights they are made of glass)

4) for the billionth time you have to hit each boss with your weapon (yes arrows count) so before you settle down and just hit one boss run around and hit each one if you want to maximize your chances to get an arty.

5) I/party leader can't get tickets for the group until everyone is out for 30 sec. So once dark father dies make sure you leave fairly quickly we can talk/heal/cry/boast/eat once we are on the ticket side. The tile to leave is really annoying with large groups so just keep after it until you get teleported out (if someone with a + by their name could make it more like a house teleport tile (in relation to speed) it would be GREAT, takes like two min for the whole group to get out on the current tile)

IF, the shard is like others then the drop rate is not set and fixed but varies randomly with sometimes where it is really good and some when it is just really bad. (if someone with a + by their name could check if that is true that would be great ;) ~today was just a bad drop rate time I guess.

Also, IDK if in game luck plays a role or not the internet says no for UO but I seem to recall +C saying it does here but he has not confirmed it (again if someone with a + by their name could check if that is true that would be great ;) I have 1234 luck and got nothing tonight so IDK.

Special thanks to an anonymous benefactor to tossed in a few skulls for the run (anonymous not because He/she said to keep it that way but because I have a horrible memory and didn't write down your name.) Thank you it was much apresheated. I am off to the beach and IDK how much I will be playing #familytime #fatherOfTwo #wifeIsaNag
Attachments
Three dark fathers mean lots of minions #AOE for the win.
Three dark fathers mean lots of minions #AOE for the win.
GUANT 29 april 3.png (308.77 KiB) Viewed 7890 times
triple spawn means triple the chances for you scull
triple spawn means triple the chances for you scull
GUANT 29 april 2.png (197.48 KiB) Viewed 7852 times
group photo
group photo
GUANT 29 april 1.png (211.99 KiB) Viewed 7854 times
ScarletArmstrong
Apprentice Scribe

Post by ScarletArmstrong »

+Nyx has covered about the Gauntlet luck issue. http://www.uoex.net/forum/viewtopic.php ... 0&start=15 Scroll down the page to see what she has written.
“Life is never fair, and perhaps it is a good thing for most of us that it is not.” ~ Oscar Wilde
Nick
Legendary Scribe

Post by Nick »

0800 Eastern Standard Time Saturday the November the 11th, PM me or comment if you have questions

Everyone is invited but specifically young and newish players are invited to come with me to Gauntlet, I will explain how the system works and provide a skull for a boat trip and those needed for between 5-10 rounds in gaunt (depending on how it goes)

More the merrier, I will do it solo if no one comes, but if we get 5 ppl doing it our odds go up 200% (twice as many bosses) and if we get ten my odds are 300% (3 bosses in every room) better for getting an Arty (with about the same amount of time) then if I was solo. Member from all guilds are welcome as are veterans, everyone is welcome but understand I will be explaining things to the lowest common denominator the first couple rounds (I can only have a max of 20 ppl with me but I've never run into that problem)

Why do gauntlet? Duh, you get a chance for an Arty, most of them are pure trash but bone crushers will net you 10 millionish gold, Spirt of Totum 5 millionish or more and some others are somewhat useful. Since the change we don't have enough ppl doing gaunt and we have a shortage of BCs on the Market, hopefully some of you decide you like grinding the gaunt and actually get some good drops and eventually bring down the price of BCs a little because I'm not cool with paying 250 ED for one lol.

Rules for Nick of olds gaunt runs:

1) no pets that you arnt riding, they slow us down and are annoying. If you are riding a nightmare or a mule and jump off and send it into battle IDC just remount fast and stay with the pack (this is not needed). We need to move from room to quickly and waiting for pets to stay with the group is aggravating. PET HITS DO NOT COUNT FOR AN ARTY CHANCE YOU MUST HIT IT WITH YOUR OWN WEAPON. so bring arrows and a bow (ill have more arrows if you run out) If someone decided to disregard this rule and grief the group sorry guys I'm packing up my toys and going home.

2) Everything in gauntlet drops trash loot I am claiming the corps in an effort to recoop a small percentage of the gold im droping on the Sculls I'm using to host the run but mainly to keep the group together by eliminating the temptation to look through corps for something that isn't trash (its all trash) or infighting on who gets the gold.

3) YOU MUST HIT EACH BOSS AT LEAST ONCE WITH YOUR OWN WEAPON OR you do not get an arty chance. So when we run from room to room WAIT FOR THE GROUP at the door if you're particularly fast before you go in. As a general rule when I run in your good to go, (yes, if you are just gumming up the works and being belligerent ill leave you behind) we are trying to avoid the scenario where someone kills the boss (they are kinda weak) before the slow guy gets a hit in. PeLEAE be riding a mount of some type, being on foot in this event is just rude. Again If someone decided to disregard this rule and grief the group sorry guys I'm packing up my toys and going home.

4) Arties will fall straight to your backpack, not to the corps, IF YOU GET AN ARTY CONGRATULATIONS IT IS YOURS there is no pool or required sharing of ARTIES (DUH, but I've been asked that before when I hosted runs) Please give everyone a "Woot woot I got a arty" so we know theres hope, it is completely luck of the draw what you get you might get 6 bone crushers on one run (posable but will not happen) or go ten rounds with not even a single drop. In GAME LUCK HELPS (very little) get more drops but not better drops (and I don't know how much the LUCK actually help)

5) if you want to join in but weren't there at the beginning you are more than welcome to but, you need to get to gauntlet on your own, I will not leave the group in gaunt and drop another skull just to bring you across on the boat.

6) Yes, I know these rules are against the posted gaunt rules but if you want me to pay for the runs and hopefully teach some of the younger folks how to do gaunt runs you will abide by them; if someone objects I am required to abide by the posted rules, not the ones I made up so SORRY THE FUN WILL JUST END and the runs will be over, so please don't be a griefing jerk and ruin the fun.

7) if any guilds want to send your newbies in with me they are welcome if any guild masters want to come along and take the lead of the group around 930-1000 (Depends on how much fun Im having) you are more then welcome to take over with your own sculls and keep the party going. The main point of this event IS TO TEACH NEW TO MID-LEVEL PLAYERs how to do gauntlet and start getting their own gear. if you don't like that I am explaining things to ppl several times we well there's a river nearby go swim in it in your plate armor...
Alamiester
Legendary Scribe

Post by Alamiester »

0800 AM standard, you shootin for peeps from the other side of the earth to play, lol? or you tryin to knock it out before the events? the only way im up that early is if i stay up all night, lol. :goodsuprise:
Entora
Master Scribe

Post by Entora »

Its going to be 9PM Saturday. I will be there 8)
Nick
Legendary Scribe

Post by Nick »

I live in Ohio right now 0800 lets me do run the event for 1.5-2 hours and then get off and have breakfast without my ball and chain slitting my throat for ignoring the family....
Paradox
Passer by

Post by Paradox »

Where is the meeting spot?