Craftarium feedback

+Colibri
Administrator

Craftarium feedback

Post by +Colibri »

Server is now running the new "Craftarium" craft system. It's a craft system written completely from scratch, featuring a nicer menu, a much much simpler backend code (programming paradigms have advanced since 2002-2005), as well as a bit of a different take on crafting from a gameplay point of view.

Not to hog all the credit: +Arden wrote most of the code and supplied a lot of insight about the look & feel of the menu, as well as to make it more intuitive - more like what crafting is in other games, and what a regular player might expect.

Basically, Elysium will have (among many other things) an improved Cooking system, and while we made a new craft system, we had to test it somewhere. Masonry is probably only used to make that one table and 6 chairs, so it was the perfect candidate. If anything goes wrong, and it takes us a few days to restart the server with the fix - well, an anxious home decorator can wait that long :)

-- This is beta! --
Keep in mind that although we've already done much polishing, there are still a few odd things that come up.

But we welcome any kind of feedback.
Does anything feel odd, any buttons that don't work, any element of the menu that you expected to be somewhere else, anything that feels counter-intuitive?

Notes:
- after masonry, we will gradually update other crafts one by one, starting with the lesser ones and probably finishing with carpentry & blacksmithing last.
- system supports, like the previous one, recipes that are learned.
- system supports crafting recipes based on uses. You can currently obtain one such recipe - it's for a "decorated pedestal", the stoneworkers sell them.
- more stoneworking things will be added - some pottery, probably a few more statues... most of these new things will likely be recipe based - either learned permanently, or some to be per-use.
- items do not retain material color. known bug, no need to report
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)
Pheobe
Journeyman Scribe

Re: Craftarium feedback

Post by Pheobe »

First and foremost, I want to say that the new menu is AWESOME! I love how it flows. I love that you can make more than one item at a time, no more counting how many items you made.

I have noticed a couple of things, the materials list isn't complete, missing shadow iron, blaze, ice, toxic, electrum and platinum. Plain granite is showing twice in the list.

Please don't think I'm complaining as I really do like the new menu and having made as many tables I have in my recent projects the changes are fantastic. Love that you can just make a table and not think which direction you need it to be in as I always get that confused! The pedestals are fantastic and will be finding their way into my houses very soon!

Thank you +C and +A for all your work on this. Looking forward to the changes on the other crafting menus!

Just removed my part about retaining the colour as I didn't read that part until after I posted.
Jax2
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Jax2 »

My only complaint would be that the yellow text on the background color of the menu itself is very difficult to read... something that stands out more would be much better.
EllieBlack
Apprentice Scribe

Post by EllieBlack »

Jax2 wrote:My only complaint would be that the yellow text on the background color of the menu itself is very difficult to read... something that stands out more would be much better.
I agree, the text color choice is a bit difficult to read. :(

However, I'm guessing the green and yellow text is to show the difficulty to make the item vs. your skill level. I like that, it simplifies things and will make training up skills easier rather than going in to "[c what do i make at n carpentry for gains?" You can just look at the menu and know what to make. Great job, staff! Very well done. :D

I tested the menu out and made a large stone table, The info for the table when you click the "?" is done well. But I couldn't get the "Craft" button to work in that window. I had to go to the main menu and click the little "hammer and scroll" -looking icon. Don't know if that was intended, but since the stonecrafting menu was limited before the change anyway, there isn't a lot of testing that can really be done, but what is here I think is really good. I'm looking forward to this system applied to the tinkering menu. :D
The optimist "The glass is half full"
The pessimist "The glass is half empty"
The gamer "I drink the water; what happens?"

Where ever you go, there you are.
Annachie
Elysium Beta Tester

Post by Annachie »

I tried to make a decorated pedastal, and failed. It used 15 granite, but didn't use any cloth like I suspect it should.
Character name: Ebony
GreenBar
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by GreenBar »

Excited to see changes to crafting. Only item I can think of so far is being able to combine the per-use recipe scrolls. Right now each use purchased adds an item count.
culichi
Legendary Scribe

Post by culichi »

Annachie wrote:I tried to make a decorated pedastal, and failed. It used 15 granite, but didn't use any cloth like I suspect it should.
I made some of the decorated pedestals and noticed that it didn't actually use the cloth but wouldn't let me attempt to craft unless I had the cloth. another bug with the decorated pedestals is that if you have 23 or more granite in your pack it will use 23 to craft the pedestal but if you have between 15 and 22 granite it only used the correct 15.
love the new crafting menu except for the timer which may end up being extremely annoying for people like me that fill large amounts of bulk order deeds. working with bulk order deeds is bad enough with constant disconnects and would become unbearable with a crafting timer.
Gaara
Legendary Scribe

Post by Gaara »

Any chance of fixing the broken peerless recipes? :P Haven't tried the menu yet
Sadie McKee
Adept Scribe

Post by Sadie McKee »

Thanks you +C and +A . Love the new menu and this new addition. I also agree with a few others the yellow is so hard to read especially when your eyes are bad.
Last edited by Sadie McKee on Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pheobe
Journeyman Scribe

Post by Pheobe »

Ok, found something else. Have unitubed stone tables from before the code changes that now say they are turnable. I turned the table and it lost it's unitubed hue. Not sure if this belongs here or should be bug page but wanted more to know so they don't lose unitubed tables. This is the case for different coloured stone tables as well. Takes all coloured, unitubed and different granite types, back to plain granite.
seagrams
Adept Scribe

Post by seagrams »

Noticed the spelling on the plain pedestals is spelled "Pedistal".
Yoda
Legendary Scribe

Post by Yoda »

I like the 1 use deed decorative pedestal but am

curious if it will both, take the stone material color and cloth material color when its finished..
Guildmaster: JDI - Est 2011
culichi
Legendary Scribe

Post by culichi »

I really like the one use recipes idea im hoping maybe a few can be added at some points as rare monster loot or treasure chest loot. putting recipes like that on seasonal quest mobs would be fun too but I guess that will just lead to farming and making it harder for people to complete kill quests.
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

culichi wrote:im hoping maybe a few can be added at some points as rare monster loot or treasure chest loot.

*taps nose and points at culichi*
Gaara
Legendary Scribe

Post by Gaara »

Gaara wrote:Any chance of fixing the broken peerless recipes?

:lookingout: