Murder traps, AKA "Custom Content"

Don't know how something works? Here you will find some useful links. And if you have a question, feel free to ask.
Abaz
Novice Scribe

Murder traps, AKA "Custom Content"

Post by Abaz »

Took the wrong way into feluca, got murder trapped. Wasn't funny, entertaining, or fair.

How much other "Custom content" is there? I just want to avoid the kind of terribly designed encounters that don't let you make any decisions and just straight up murder you with mother flunking bunnies.
Superduke
Grandmaster Scribe

Re: Murder traps, AKA "Custom Content"

Post by Superduke »

Imo, You were either unprepared or undergeared. Don't blame the system. The info you need about custom content is in the wiki.
Abaz
Novice Scribe

Post by Abaz »

Except the part of the wiki that includes Felluca info is non-existent. and I had a perfectly fine time fighting the gatekeeper, the supposed test for the encounter ahead didn't "show" how difficult the next step was going to be.
Abaz
Novice Scribe

Post by Abaz »

So just the one then? Are there no other one way portals or dungeon entrances populated with end game critters?
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

A big part of UO has always been exploration and trial and error. You will occasionally run into an area that you simply can't do, so it's always best to approach new areas with caution particularly if you're someone who will get very upset by a random death encounter. Some folks enjoy such things, some don't so just play accordingly :)
Abaz
Novice Scribe

Post by Abaz »

I'm still wondering if there is anywere ELSE i shouldn't go because of murder traps.

Right now all i know is that felucca requires hundreds of dollars in donor gear before it's even fun. And [edited by staff-watch the language.] me for exploring a place that i thought was going to be filled with brigands and evil mages, when in fact it was a one way portal to a facet I didn't know I wasn't even ready for.
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

First - watch the language. That was completely inappropriate.

Secondly - Fel doesn't require a ton of gear as a rule. Some areas - like fel skara brae, aka Sgail - do. Others are random encounters from old staff members, I believe there's still one outside of fel Yew that is pretty tough.

Nobody is going to take the time to list every place on the shard that could possibly be found dangerous. Skill level, gear level, and attitude are subjective so what you find so upsetting, someone else finds it a fun little vignette. Instead, you've been given solid advice - approach new areas with caution and try to take accidental death with a grain of salt. It happens, it's part of the game. Getting angry and cussing about it doesn't help anything in the long run.
Abaz
Novice Scribe

Post by Abaz »

My apologies for bad language and overemotional diatribes. My question still remains unanswered though. I am not asking were the difficult encounters are. All I'd like to know is were the other one way tickets to an unavoidable deaths lay. If what you say is true though, and there are too many to list, then that's an answer I can understand.

Right now even though everyone has been impressively patient and supportive with their responses I cannot help but feel bamboozled by that encounter, and demeaned by the advice to be cautious and to educate myself.

Caution doesn't mean anything when talking about unavoidable Murder Traps. The wiki is useless in this regard because it doesn't even mention Wrong.

Thank you for the consolation but their is a huge difference between an accidental death and a murder trap. Thanks.
Gaara
Legendary Scribe

Post by Gaara »

Abaz wrote:Took the wrong way into feluca, got murder trapped. Wasn't funny, entertaining, or fair.

How much other "Custom content" is there? I just want to avoid the kind of terribly designed encounters that don't let you make any decisions and just straight up murder you with mother flunking bunnies.
I think it's awesome that one has to actually be aware of their surroundings and not just rush in like a headless chicken :)
Abaz wrote:Right now all i know is that felucca requires hundreds of dollars in donor gear
With time and effort you really don't have to donate a single dollar if you don't want to... And well, i've seen people with 0 relayers run the hardest places in fel
Deadwerd
Elder Scribe

Post by Deadwerd »

Abaz wrote:Right now all i know is that felucca requires hundreds of dollars in donor gear
With time and effort you really don't have to donate a single dollar if you don't want to... And well, i've seen people with 0 relayers run the hardest places in fel[/quote]

And to add to what Gaara said, this is one of the few shards where there is no such thing as donor gear. Every currency is available to all users, and, with enough work and effort, you can have the best gear in the game without spending a dime. I believe I've only donated a few dollars (To get a strong box that holds 1000 items for my house), and I can solo most of the peerless on the shard with my trusty pets.

When I first started, I lost all of my stuff on two separate occasions. Once in fel and once in level 3 of Destard. I didn't understand where I could and couldn't go (More like where I SHOULD and SHOULDN'T go). After a month of running around not understanding all of the custom content, I simply read the New Players Guide on the wiki. It IS a bit outdated, and a good amount of the stuff made little sense to me, but after getting on my feet, and getting some decent gear and enough gold to insure it all, I was smooth sailing, and it's all thanks to the wiki walking me through my first few steps into Excelsior.

It's a very different shard, where being prepared and informed is the first step. Give it another try. PM me ingame if you need any assistance or need a guild. I am willing to help in any way I can. I've been here for only 150 days and it's easily my favorite shard, hands down. Give it a try, mate.
'Deadwerd' in game, 'Deadwerd' onstage.
Abaz
Novice Scribe

Post by Abaz »

Well... I guess I'll have to write the Felucca Danger Handbook myself. As soon as i'm done fuming over this ridiculous death.
Superduke
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Superduke »

You're still not over it? :lool:
Gaara
Legendary Scribe

Post by Gaara »

Abaz wrote:Well... I guess I'll have to write the Felucca Danger Handbook myself. As soon as i'm done fuming over this ridiculous death.
Live and let live, you'll be dying a lot more, not worth it sulking over it :P
Annachie
Elysium Beta Tester

Post by Annachie »

Gaara wrote:
With time and effort you really don't have to donate a single dollar if you don't want to... And well, i've seen people with 0 relayers run the hardest places in fel
Me for example. I love Fel Wrong. 0 relayers. Not even using a lvl 100 weapon atm.
S'Gail is a bit much, well the uber Minotaurs there anyway.

Some places are meant to be a challenge for the top end players, and as such, are 'murder traps' for people who casually wander into them.
Character name: Ebony
Aryck
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Aryck »

I would definitely suggest to avoid the PVP dungeon if I am in there. Hope this helps.