Downloaded and ran expatcher.exe, now I can't log on.

Don't know how something works? Here you will find some useful links. And if you have a question, feel free to ask.
Ambient
Journeyman Scribe

Downloaded and ran expatcher.exe, now I can't log on.

Post by Ambient »

My Character name in game is Courser.
I dropped the expatcher.exe file into what I hope was my client file and ran it. That file is C:\Program Files\Ultima Online. I also have a C:\Program Files (86x) that is connected with running Razor (so I didn't drop it in there).
I have tried to log onto the game 2 ways. When clicking the Razor icon or the Excelsior Freeshard icon both give me a sys msg that says "There is not enough memory to continue execution. If you do not have virtual memory enabled, this could be the problem. Otherwise, you may be low on disk space, or may need to increase the amount of space allocated for virtual memory."
I had no virtual memory problems previous to the expatcher.
I have a little 32 bit notebook and running MS WIN XP Professional Version 2, service pack 3
Intel Atom CPU N270.
Help please! I'm not a techie and I'm lost!
Courser the Wayward, of NRG (in game).
lestatzero
Legendary Scribe

Re: Downloaded and ran expatcher.exe, now I can't log on.

Post by lestatzero »

The problem is the patcher that you used replaces the client.exe file with a patched one that works for 64bit systems of today. Did you backup your client files prior to the patcher? if so just replace the client.exe file with your old one and all should be good. (The patched client lifts the old memory limits of the 32bit programming but this new limit is not able to be interpreted correctly by a 32bit system).

Also you should not have a (x86) folder if your running windows xp 32bit ... you should only have a program files folder as only 64bit systems have both for backwards compatibility with the 32bit programs.

Here is a link to the client.exe that is unpatched incase you need it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/raxw7wwkit8e3 ... e.zip?dl=0
Ambient
Journeyman Scribe

Post by Ambient »

I did not backup my client files prior to the patcher, at least not recently. (Dumb, I know... but this sounded like it would be easy).
I think I have a backup file from before the last upgrade to 4b
Will an old one do, or should I uninstall the game and reinstall? The link you sent that is unpatched... what would be the case that I need it?
Also I had to do the (x86) folder because Razor wasn't working when I first started the game, per someone's instructions and this or at least part of what we did, fixed it (long time ago.)
So can you lay out step by step what I need to do to get rolling again?
Thank you.
lestatzero
Legendary Scribe

Post by lestatzero »

just backup the current client.exe file you have in your uo directory and download the one that I linked above and unzip it in the uo directory
and you should be able to play
Ambient
Journeyman Scribe

Post by Ambient »

I don't have a file called client.exe... are you talking about UO.exe? If so that looks like an icon to run the program for installation, and not a file to drop something in and run expatcher.
Forgive me and please be patient... they didn't teach this stuff when I was in school.
Thanks
fixxer1963
Legendary Scribe

Post by fixxer1963 »

You may not have "Show Hidden Files" active. Do a google search for "Show Hidden Files" and your operating system (i.e. Win7, Win8, Win10)
Or, you may have "hide known file extensions" active. Same thing, google it.
If you don't know which version of windows you have.. press and hold the Windows key (should have the Microsoft flag between Crtl and Alt on the left side) then press the Pause/Break key (on most keyboards, this is on the top row of buttons near the right end).
Hawke Armstrong/FiXXer
Ambient
Journeyman Scribe

Post by Ambient »

I have said that I'm running Win XP Professional... I ran a search and found the client.exe file I think.
It now says client_lowmemory_NotLargeAddressAware.exe . Should I still back up my client.exe even though it appears to have been altered by the patch?
Ambient
Journeyman Scribe

Post by Ambient »

Ok, I backed up my client.exe and unzipped (extracted) the file you asked me to download, in the Ultima Online directory. Nothing happened.
Ambient
Journeyman Scribe

Post by Ambient »

Now I deleted Ultima Online Directory and downloaded the full client.exe to my C:/program file and installed it. When I try to run the game, (not through Razor) I'm still getting the same virtual memory message.
Gaara
Legendary Scribe

Post by Gaara »

Have you tried increasing virtual memory?
Ambient
Journeyman Scribe

Post by Ambient »

I increased the min and max page file to 3072. I still get the same message.
Last edited by Ambient on Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Blood
Elder Scribe

Post by Sir Blood »

The game likes the 1st memory allocations, you may have to turn off a few things that took up UO's favorite memory spots...
*1st* you probably already did this but: right click uo client file AND razor, set to "run as administrator"
- NO web browser can be open
- Turn off email monitoring programs
- disable non essentials in your -startup folder
* type "msconfig" in your search for program files*
* click startup tab, if you have a laptop, you will need a good share of what is in there, if you have a pc, you can likely do without most of it.
- if you ever get the memory issue, reboot your computer and start UO right away
- - In game name:: Simply Delicious - -
Find my HUGE Rune LIbrary
- Main Floor Housegates
- Bottom SE corner, look for the black and white housegate tile (looks like a QR code you can scan)
Rune displayed @TC -- Far West Wall: Simply's
Ambient
Journeyman Scribe

Post by Ambient »

Hi Sir Blood.
I only have a clock, volume control, internet connection icon and the red shield for windows security alerts (red because I turned off everything but firewall) in my lower right hand startup programs bar.
I don't think I have an email monitoring system turned on, and my browser was off.
I went to the client.exe file and right clicked. It had 'current user' bubble checked and (WXPPX86BE-5748\Admin) Below that it says:
'The following User' (with a bubble to click on to change the setting). Beside it Administrator was ghosted out.
I clicked the bubble and 'Administrator' became bold.
I tried to set it to run as administrator, and put in a password.
I got a system msg that says:
'X(big red x) - C:\Program Files\Ultima Online\client.exe
The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.'
That's as far as I got with your instructions. :(
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

Hey, looks like i forgot to reply a few days back when i sent you the game message.

I'd suggest two options here:

1. Best option: get the latest patch, and use the "client_lowmemory_NoLargeAddressAware.exe". Razor should let you pick which exact client to use, so pick this one.

2. Plan B: download a previous version, links at the bottom of this page: http://www.uoex.net/startup
Note that there was a lot of additional graphics added in version 4a. Using version 3c is really not recommended because there's so many things that wont show up. From a memory point of view, 4a is roughly the same as 4b. (and 4c, there's no link there, forgot to add it). What changed in Expacth 11 (aka "version 4d" - we changed the naming), was that the client.exe is now already "fixed" with the "large address aware".

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/thre ... re.112556/
Basically, the client.exe used to give memory errors a lot before this was applied.
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)
Ambient
Journeyman Scribe

Post by Ambient »

Thank you ALL for trying to help me. Nothing is working.
I broke down and bought a new refurbished Dell 64 bit/Win 7.
I'm tired of trying to cripple the obsolete 32 bit/Win XP through the upgrades.