Questions about BODs

Name says it all
Alibaster
Legendary Scribe

Questions about BODs

Post by Alibaster »

Being a new player, I have a few questions about Bulk Order Deeds (BODs). I searched the WIKI and the forums but I couldn't find answers to my questions. I appreciate any help or advice.

1) Do different NPC vendors give different BODs? So if I go to the same Carpentry Vendor in Britain each time, am I limiting my possibilities? Should I be going to other vendors throughout the world?

2) I understand that to do a large BOD you have to get matching small BODs to fill it. However, do the small BODs have to be a perfect match? If the large BOD says 20 medium crates exceptional Pine wood, does the small BOD have to hit all qualifiers or just be a small BOD for 20 medium crates?

3) Does my skill level impact the type of BODs I get? Will It be harder to get the single BODs to complete the large ones if I grind through Carpentry and hit 120% in a few days?

4) Are BODs worth the time and effort? Are the rewards that good?

5) Is there anything else I should know about BODs before getting in too deep?

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to answer my questions.
Alibaster in game!!
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Re: Questions about BODs

Post by Wil »

scroft391 wrote:1) Do different NPC vendors give different BODs?
No. All NPCs of a type have the same chance of offering the same BODs.

scroft391 wrote:2) I understand that to do a large BOD you have to get matching small BODs to fill it. However, do the small BODs have to be a perfect match? If the large BOD says 20 medium crates exceptional Pine wood, does the small BOD have to hit all qualifiers or just be a small BOD for 20 medium crates?
You must hit all qualifiers exactly, however unqualified aspects of the large BOD can be hit by any small BODs with qualifiers. So, horned leather shoes will fit a small bod that calls for leather shoes and a horned leather shoe BOD will fit a large bod that just calls for leather shoes.

scroft391 wrote:3) Does my skill level impact the type of BODs I get?
Yes. But that's OK because the BODs you get early on give crappy rewards. You want to get to 120 so you start getting BODs with good rewards.

scroft391 wrote:4) Are BODs worth the time and effort? Are the rewards that good?
Yes. The wiki has a list of rewards. http://www.uoex.net/wiki/Category:Crafting

scroft391 wrote:5) Is there anything else I should know about BODs before getting in too deep?
Yes. Skip crafting until after you lose access to the young player's dungeon. Crafting takes a long time and a lot of resources to build up, while you have access to some neat non-crafting stuff in the first 30 days which goes away. In the first 30 days, focus on building up a team of powerful pets and the animal taming you'll need to control them. And optimize your use of the training room dirks while you can still use them. Read wiki page about the training room.

In particular, use an archery dirk to get your archery skill up without using arrows. I didn't know to try it at the time but as long as you're not wearing any reflect-damage armor, you may be able to use dirks against birds outside the training room to get your skill up to 100. But as noted in the training room wiki, don't raise your fencing skill about 75 until you've raised your dex to 125. Fencing in the training room is the easiest way to raise your dex but only if you haven't maxed fencing.

Finally, don't overlook cooking. You'll need it for plants which you'll need for bandages which you'll use for healing and veterinary instead of spells because it will be much faster. Also don't overlook alchemy which you'll need for potions which you'll need for beekeeping which you should dive in to shortly after the 30 days -- it's one of the easiest sources of gold in the game.

Regards,
Wil
heyyo
Legendary Scribe

Post by heyyo »

Some general info. and advice.

There's no harm in collecting bulk order deeds to fill them at a later time. Even collecting a bunch of junk ones on multiple characters, you can later fill them with your GM skill character for a chance at a higher quality order (every one you turn in lets you get a new order).

Getting started will be rough. You need to do a LOT of collecting/filling orders to get all the ones you need for a high level large order.

As far as skill level affecting quality of orders I have found 100 skill to be equivalent to get the top end orders a 120 GM would get. You can collect a BOD every 2 hours with 100+ skill, where as if you're new (under 30 skill) you can get a new one every 30 minutes. Taming is an exception to this rule, it's 3 hours at GM and 30 minutes otherwise. You can only get large taming orders with higher skill.

Once you have a large collection (multiples of every BOD besides the one you are short on) you will start being able to fill more larges on the regular. The best ones can give just north of 300k gold and 15k tokens in addition to an item reward, so you can make good gold as a crafter. As Wil said though, I think it's easier to make money by hunting/other means. Not that crafting can't be profitable! And also a nice change of pace from killing stuff.
Versales
Elder Scribe

Post by Versales »

In addition to what others have said.

Crafting can make some decent gold, it just takes a lot of time and effort. What I recommend is to train all of the gather skills first i.e - load up on ores and logs, and skin everything for leather!

Second, build up a sizable base of bods before starting your crafting. Every chance you get log into your characters and get bods! (I keep my bod runners at one of the player vendor shops and log in and just get them all in a few seconds)

That way when you are ready to start filling bods you have a pretty sizable base to start with!

Also for taming start familiarizing yourself ahead of time with the locations of animals, some players have animal spawners that you can quickly gather up some of the animals you need for filling bods (obviously you still need to travel to the dangerous areas for monster bods, but still some places are better than others)

Finally, if you are really into crafting, there is a guild that pretty much loves crafting, and bods! Get in contact with MAD, its the Mad Crafters Guild, you can see their village outside of Deceit on ICE island, its pretty neat to run around and look at all their stuff!

As an end note, Familiarize yourself with the rarer bods! *glares at the 20x chickens small bod* Some of them are harder to get than others! So when you get them you don't want to be willy nilly doing them and turning them in for minor rewards!

Hope that helps!
Valorian in game!
Alibaster
Legendary Scribe

Post by Alibaster »

Versales wrote:
As an end note, Familiarize yourself with the rarer bods! *glares at the 20x chickens small bod* Some of them are harder to get than others! So when you get them you don't want to be willy nilly doing them and turning them in for minor rewards!

Hope that helps!
Thanks you all for the replies. Very valuable information. Versales, any resources available that will help me identify rare BODs? Don't want to fall into the same trap you described.
Alibaster in game!!
Versales
Elder Scribe

Post by Versales »

I would suggest getting into contact with some of the known doer's of bods or if you look at the rewards, like I did not, on the wiki. Just make sure you know the smalls that go into the more valuable rewards large bods. I know with making its the smalls that would fit into the larges that would give you 130pet ps, etc. For a more detailed listing I would definitely git ahold of the MAD guild. You might also try looking through vendors in TC where are a few people who sell a lot of bod rewards, they might be able to point you in a better direction. I don't want to just shout their names out here in cause they don't want to be inundated by people. However, they seem nice enough sorts, that if you pester them minimally they might be inclined to answer some of your questions :P

Hope that helps!
Valorian in game!
Alibaster
Legendary Scribe

Post by Alibaster »

Versales wrote:I would suggest getting into contact with some of the known doer's of bods or if you look at the rewards, like I did not, on the wiki. Just make sure you know the smalls that go into the more valuable rewards large bods. I know with making its the smalls that would fit into the larges that would give you 130pet ps, etc. For a more detailed listing I would definitely git ahold of the MAD guild. You might also try looking through vendors in TC where are a few people who sell a lot of bod rewards, they might be able to point you in a better direction. I don't want to just shout their names out here in cause they don't want to be inundated by people. However, they seem nice enough sorts, that if you pester them minimally they might be inclined to answer some of your questions :P

Hope that helps!
That does help. If you know any good vendors then please....do tell. I have a few Large BODs for Carpentry and I'm looking to buy a few small BODs to fill it. Thanks again
Alibaster in game!!
Iago Venport
Elder Scribe

Post by Iago Venport »

fyi since someone mentioned it you can CRAFT your way to 120 taming incredibly easily making dyes and the like...I got there and I didn't tame a single animal which was a nice change. Also Tribeca has a bunch of spawners in his house in Luna for animals. Good luck with the BODs :)

-Iago