Active Gamers

Name says it all
Joshuashw
Master Scribe

Active Gamers

Post by Joshuashw »

I've been learning and soliciting up to friends and family. I dont know everyone's comfort zone but I myself enjoy when there's 400+ people playing. Community and market. I would love to see more people.

Anyway here's something I saw and have been researching
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/how-get- ... -j-krafsig

I just recently started playing again but you all mean a lot to me as does the community.

Don't forget to vote !

If there's discussion or topics somewhere feel free to link. I'm a helpful guy
+Colibri
Administrator

Re: Active Gamers

Post by +Colibri »

Just caught the post before it got buried. Thanks for the link, will read up on it.

Unfortunately this is a niche game, population steadily decreasing... and on top of that, we're a custom shard so that's a niche in a niche - basically even 150-200 online is quite a number. But we do constantly advertise, the facebook page is active lately, getting a new logo ...
So the 400+ players is probably going to be hard with this kind of game "format" we have at the moment. But we are working behind the scenes on a larger project that will hopefully be interesting to all sorts of gamers, as well as UO veterans.
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)
Gaara
Legendary Scribe

Post by Gaara »

+Colibri wrote:Just caught the post before it got buried. Thanks for the link, will read up on it.

Unfortunately this is a niche game, population steadily decreasing... and on top of that, we're a custom shard so that's a niche in a niche - basically even 150-200 online is quite a number. But we do constantly advertise, the facebook page is active lately, getting a new logo ...
So the 400+ players is probably going to be hard with this kind of game "format" we have at the moment. But we are working behind the scenes on a larger project that will hopefully be interesting to all sorts of gamers, as well as UO veterans.
I've always wondered how many players UOEX has online in a day, as all we ever see is the currently online players... Any possible insight on it? :P
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

It varies, but it's in the few-hundred range, about 400-500 recently.
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

+Colibri wrote:It varies, but it's in the few-hundred range, about 400-500 recently.
* actual numbers, not "hundreds of accounts we parked in green acres so we can brag about our player count without actually having many players" like some other shards...

:lol:
Gaara
Legendary Scribe

Post by Gaara »

+Colibri wrote:It varies, but it's in the few-hundred range, about 400-500 recently.
cool :P
Joshuashw
Master Scribe

Post by Joshuashw »

What got me to play ex a little over 5 years ago is the population. There were and are a lot of players here compared to other servers.

After that , people were mostly helpful. We had and have trolls. I have to admit ex seemed more tolerant back in the day but some players weren't as out of control.

If I ever looked for a new server to play, here's some things I would look for in advertising.

Server up time
Activity
How custom the server is
Staff activity
Events << this is quite important to me
Economy << also important
Macroing << very important
And stat / skill caps

These are things I want to k ow about when reading a advertisement.

Maybe others can chime in?

Maybe offer a incentive for new players to check out uoex?
Joshuashw
Master Scribe

Post by Joshuashw »

I definitely think we need better incentives for new players and long term players. I don't know if you all have anything besides the new facet or currently new player released content but these are areas we would all enjoy I'm sure.

Continued dedication is enjoyed on both sides of the field.

More dungeons and hunting spots would be cool but I'm sure that will come with the new areas. Maybe even different areas for weapon specific and team hunting
Versales
Elder Scribe

Post by Versales »

Joshuashw wrote:I definitely think we need better incentives for new players and long term players.
I'm not sure what other incentives are needed.

The game itself is free, but there is a option to pay for ED's to advance yourself faster.
There are tons of customs monsters and areas that the staff spent I don't know how many hundreds of hours of their free time developing.
There are quests designed to help bridge the gap from new player to mid level player (mistvale).
There are custom quests that are designed for advanced players to enjoy.
There are seasonal quests, which award coveted talisman slot items.
There are hundreds (if not thousands) of custom designed deco items to fit in with our quirky personalities.
There are a lot of difference currencies - elven notes, Ed, gold, tokens, and soon to be more with the coming of the new facets.
The staff host events pretty frequently, sure sometimes they might go a whole month or two with no event, but they are busy people.
The staff engage directly with the population - actively seeking feedback and making changes to help the player base.
You have
+C - always working on something (lagging my bank sitting messing with stuff)
+A - new person - I'm sure he is learning the ropes and working on fixing bugs and all that jazzercise
+N - developing an entire world for you to immerse yourself in
+V - developing an entire world for you to die in
+M - Last I heard she was fiddling around with stuff in Wrong and all that sort of stuff
+R - Always answering questions, help requests etc
Not to mention the time they spend responding to help requests, and AFK checking people
And that is just what they have specifically said that they are doing, who knows how many other things they are working on.

(I think we need another +A and a +E So I can arrange the names to spell MAN CRAVE)

I could go on, and on, and on about the incentives to play. I don't think we really need much more incentive to play. There are so many different things to do in the game that there is really something, already, for pretty much everybody. I mean yes we lose new players all the time - the game isn't for everyone, and yes we lose some older players - the game can get boring to some. I think that is the case with pretty much every game. And we have a player base of a few hundred actual players, I think we are doing pretty good. I think we probably have more players than actual UO.

I am not sure I would want the staff working on even more stuff to be quite honest. They are developing all sorts of surprises and stuff for us already. I imagine they look at these requests for "more" the same way I look at professors when they say "its only another paper to read."
This is just my opinion though, I like the way things are, the staff are diligently working to put out a good product. I don't really think that things need to be any more incentivized for players.
Joshuashw
Master Scribe

Post by Joshuashw »

I myself love it here and have a full kit of relayers. this is all great input. i'm just trying to get more input and more brainstorming. i'm sure mostly everyone is happy and I am also happy but more people = more donations and so on too :P

it may be that my input isn't needed. I've just been trying to find new blood because I know most of the active players !!

Good information :D
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Versales wrote:I imagine they look at these requests for "more" the same way I look at professors when they say "its only another paper to read."
:lol:

You were also quite right when you said that we probably have a lot of things in the works which the playerbase doesn't even know about yet. I have several smaller quests and events in the works that I haven't mentioned to anybody yet, +C is working on several things that y'all haven't heard about. +M, also, is working on a project currently that she hasn't announced.

Y'all pretty much never see or hear from +A, because he's not here to staff in the traditional way. He is here to code, and he is fantastic at it. +A has been coding new stuff for Elysium at such a fast pace I'm a little worried about how I'm going to be able to run that many live betas at once with my RL schedule. It's a really good, really exciting problem to have!
:lool:
On top of that, he's been coding a lot of our (okay, my) "incidental" requests - things I think of that I need in order to improve events or add cooler rewards. He coded something very, very awesome that you guys will see in the reward rotation for the halloween dungeon this year.

Back on the main topic, I know that the OP's heart is in the right place. We all love uoex and want to see it become even more magnificent than it already is. We all get excited and want to share our love for this place with others, bring them into the fold. That's not a bad thing. But on the other hand, one must take into account the fact that the staff are all working hard on so many things - working so much harder/longer than you guys can possibly fathom in most cases (I spent 6 hours yesterday just picking appearances and hues for 2 halloween rewards...) - and sometimes posts like this are more discouraging than encouraging. Here we are, already working so hard, so many hours of our free time (in some cases choosing UOEX over other potential RL activities), and then we occasionally see a post about how we need to bring and keep more people, or host more events, or add more content, etc. While we know, as I said above, that the heart is in the right place, it's still just a little bit depressing, like "we're giving so much, and it still isn't enough?". A bit exhausting, in most cases. So, while none of us are upset about this thread, I think it's generally best for players to follow +C and the rest of the staff's lead on matters of shard development, advertising, and population. When/if we are concerned or feel the urge to boost any of these aspects of UOEX, trust that we will do so. For now, we are all quite happy with where the shard is - as +C mentioned, we have a few hundred active players and that's saying a lot for a free shard based on such an old (and at this point, obscure) game.

tl;dr: UOEX is doing great. When we want to take it to even higher levels of greatness, we will. In the mean time, everyone who wants to help boost UOEX would be much better off in befriending new players and helping them overcome the information gap most people start with, helping keep the wiki updated if that's your thing, volunteering for betas when they become available, participating in discussions/polls when we make them, and working to be a beneficial, fun member of the shard.
dreamstalker
Legendary Scribe

Post by dreamstalker »

Speakin of boosting uoex i recently created facebook account mainly to see what my youngins are doig but i also linked and liked uoex page. Perhaps 1 or 2 of my 3 friends will jump in lol. Yall doing a great job..there is plenty here to do and learn for new players ..and the older players ,speaking of myself, are so addicted just throw us something near each holiday and i am content. So in closing, imo ,yall are going far and beyond any reasonable expectations. Ty very much
I keep a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin! just cause you aint paranoid doesnt mean they aint after you
patrix
Elder Scribe

Post by patrix »

DITTO!
Ditto.jpg
Ditto.jpg (28.98 KiB) Viewed 5728 times
Michiko in game

A woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle..
Irina Dunn
Octavius Thorn
Elder Scribe

Post by Octavius Thorn »

I have to chime in on this one as a recent new player myself. This shard is set up BETTER then osi/ea ever dreamed of for new players just based on mistvale alone. It affords you the opportunity to start early on with a sense of accomplishment that comes with starting to complete the quests for the first couple of armour pieces. Once I completed that I had decent gear and felt like I could compete. Champs came much easier and then started the epic journey of goc which is a nice step up after mistvale. Extremely well done all around. If it wasn't for mistvale and goc i would have given up and left already due to having to stare at bank sitting vets with relayers upon relayers and thinking about how out of reach all of that is. I have now played uo in 3 different decades and by far this place given the best pure uo experience I have had. You can tell a great deal of time, thought and effort has gone into the systems in place. For instance early on scrolled through in the forums the evolution and progression of how champ spawns have been slowly worked on to what we have now, it is impressive, period. Also loved the fall quest, although my wrist didn't. The attention to detail is obvious. Kudos to the creators and staff of this shard, looking forward for what you all have in store in the future :)
moonsongtx
Elder Scribe

Post by moonsongtx »

I'm sorry for necroing this post that's a few days dead, but I wanted to add my two cents' worth. While I understand wanting to see "more incentives" for new players, I also know that when new players are offered too much, they just don't stay. Many know that I used to pretty much hand out houses to new players. Out of all the people I gave houses to (probably over 20), I know of THREE players who have stayed. Secondly, on top of custom content created by our staff here (which is AWESOME!) we also hold player run events. These things don't run themselves but often times it is like pulling teeth to find people who want to help. With more volunteers, we could get away with each person doing less and not getting burned out! :D