,*' Garden of Eos `*-

Grab a cup of coffe and attend to the more simple things in life.
Eos
Master Scribe

,*' Garden of Eos `*-

Post by Eos »

This year I rebelled against the lawn-mowing ordinance,
and ripped out the front half of the yard,
and replaced it with flowers. ❀
ツ ♪ *neener*
Strangers approached me at the grocer once to congratulate me on the completed job. ❤
It's like I had become part of their story, I materialized on their map, 回
by doing something odd like that.
But really I was just playing Veruca Salt about not wanting to mow the yard. ☯
The sunflowers came out a little ... silly :lookingout:
It wasn't supposed to!
I went outside with an almost-empty packet of seeds,
believing I had another full package inside;
alas... and then I forgot... until... eh heh :)
You know, if you're short an ingredient in a pot of soup,
it's no big deal, you can get it right the next night, right?
But in gardening, you have to wait all year for that second chance!
My mailbox is pretty shot, but the postman always has a big smile. So I think we're square on that.
Haha, it's like a pet jester,
wonder what she is looking at...
It's Tip the Squirrel! Isn't he cool! He always seems to be nearby, chillin'. He eats fruit scraps out of my compost and makes guest appearances. I've never seen a squirrel with a tail like that. When I realized his coat had a unique identifier, I started to see the unique identifiers on the other squirrels as well. One has a hole in his ear, and one's tail fibers appear invisible just before the tips, which are white, making her tail seem frosted/sparkly. And once I noticed the markers, I started to notice the distinctive personality traits...

but alas, the hour is late -- I shall have to return...! I hope that's a welcome idea! ✿
Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
Pariah
Legendary Scribe

Re: ,*' Garden of Eos `*-

Post by Pariah »

Eos wrote: It's Tip the Squirrel! Isn't he cool! He always seems to be nearby, chillin'. He eats fruit scraps out of my compost and makes guest appearances. I've never seen a squirrel with a tail like that. When I realized his coat had a unique identifier, I started to see the unique identifiers on the other squirrels as well. One has a hole in his ear, and one's tail fibers appear invisible just before the tips, which are white, making her tail seem frosted/sparkly. And once I noticed the markers, I started to notice the distinctive personality traits...

but alas, the hour is late -- I shall have to return...! I hope that's a welcome idea! ✿
Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
Love the garden and pics. That last part sounds like a new story...
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Are those Lantana flowers in the pic with the squirrel? I've only just discovered them after falling in love with a flat of them at Home Depot. I went in there looking for herb plants, but the Lantana's flowers were pink-yellow-orange all on a single flower and I adored them. I do container planting, so I had to buy some of those (also got some purple Salvia to go with them) to put into a nice pot on my front porch :)
Eos
Master Scribe

Post by Eos »

+Nyx wrote:...but the Lantana's flowers were pink-yellow-orange all on a single flower and I adored them.
That's what they're called!! I bought a plant of that!! I was also fascinated by how it got so many colors on one flower head and intended to gather its seeds for next year. I forget to water the potted ones, though, and it did not re-bloom :( But now I know the name and can buy some seeds :)

For the curious, a lantana stock photo, as mine are currently on strike:
Pariah wrote: sounds like a new story...
:D! The squirrels, from my study this summer, are easily as distinguishable in personality as humans are. Ok, we might be a little more complex. But just a little.

I take fruit scraps, rinds, skins, cores, and put them on stands at the outside of windows around my house. Every newcomer has a different reaction to my sudden appearance on the outside of the window (fleeing, not caring, barking.) They have different fruit preferences, and particular places they drag the food to before eating, with consistence.

Tip for instance, prefers tropical fruit, chooses the biggest, heaviest piece, then lugs it up a tree. He always seems to be chillin' and observin' while the other squirrels are more hurried and frantic. His people bubble is much smaller too. Most of the squirrels have about a 20-ft safety radius, but Tip's is about 6ft. And even then he doesn't run off, but saunters casually. He is like the 007 of squirrels.

Pierce (hole in its ear) will not take an obvious path to something he wants. If I set out a stand of fruit, he has to take the strangest way to get to it. He approaches, observes the easy way, but then intentionally sniffs out some weird way to get there. So, for instance, I could set out a step-series of stools to easily hop up to a food stand. But Pierce will take the rain-gutter drop-from-hummingbird-feeder spiderman approach instead.

Frost has no problem taking the easy path, and thinks nothing of it. She has little hesitation, worry, or concern. But when she gets to the food areas, she doesn't want the obvious. Instead of digging into whatever is the abundant scrap that day, she sniffs about the edges pulling out the strawberry tops or seeds. I think she is a she, because all the other squirrels seem to have no problem sharing their food with her, yet otherwise guard it territorially from each other.

None of them like cooked food or vegetables. They won't even sniff it. Just fruit and seeds.

So! What IS Eos' yellow-orange mystery crop that looks super close to lantanas? :D Marigolds! This is my third year on this strain, starting from 1 packet. Every year, I hundruple my stash. I've already had two neighbors approach me about branching into their yards next year. Bua ha ha ... tomorrow -- THE WORLD!!!

Alpharius
Master Scribe

Post by Alpharius »

I haven't seen a squirrel in five years. I miss squirrels.
Alpharius (verb) - To do something stupid yet hilarious.
tiggerjlk
Elder Scribe

Post by tiggerjlk »

Did you Oint up the squirrel? If so, I will pay 2 mill for one.
Soylentgreen
Eos
Master Scribe

Post by Eos »

Sunflowers! First, how to grow in UO ツ
(from uohomedecor website)

And now, Eos presents ::: ✿
----,'---{✿

Hope you enjoyed and will share your photos now!
Alpharius wrote:I haven't seen a squirrel in five years. I miss squirrels.
:shock: A world without squirrels?! How is this possible!! Are you lost at sea? :O
tiggerjlk wrote:Did you Oint up the squirrel? If so, I will pay 2 mill for one.
*giggles*
SLiMX
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by SLiMX »

The sunflowers in your post are made from a few different items from what I can tell. I do not know what plant is locked down first but then it looks like a bale of cotton dyed yellow and then a frying pan or skillet on top to make the black circle :) You can use the Yard Wand to make the rocks and a Decorator tool to adjust the height of the parts of the sunflower. Hope this helps and nice garden!

Hazardous
Now known as HaZaRdOuS, still the same awesomeness behind the keyboard :)
Eos
Master Scribe

Post by Eos »

Warning: Closeups of BUGS! Prepare yourself!

So last night I finally get this friend's number, after months of gaming together, and he starts the line by sending me a photo. It's some balloons over water, all color balanced, frameworthy, send-it-to-Mom. So I go through pics on my phone, looking for a Van Gogh, wanting to return the dance with memorable bRaVaDo. I land on this sure-bet blue-ribbon:

I'm thinkin', 'Oh yeah, he's gonna think I'm SOoOo cool holding this big beautiful bug!"

He tells me it's... terrifying! WHAT! He shares a story about a childhood bully, giant insects,
and the fear of being eaten alive!!

:O NOT an anticipated reaction!

I rush to reassure that no, no! This is actually the most un-eating-alive bug there is! Luna moths have no mouths.
(After they hatch, they live for only 5 days just to mate, lay eggs, and die.)

No go - he hates bugs. All up-close like that, freaks him out.

Hmm. Maybe I should have sent a different angle?

How-bout-that-wow:

The mysterious detail:

Or Her Majesty's cloak; soft as silk, fluffy as a teddy bear. The downy mantle of an angel:

Perhaps My Lady's gift that day; before she flew off, eleven of her delicate, endangered, fragile royal eggs:

Well if that was a first date, did I blow it or what? xD Gosh...

...good thing I didn't go with the praying mantis!

Cogggnizzzance! Head swiveling,contemplating, calculating. Fascinating!

Did you know they can fly? I didn't. I found out --
-- about the same time as Lucky the husky! Then it was Tom and Jerry all over the kitchen,
me for the save, Lucky for the midnight snack!
Caught this when it landed on the glass door:

Oh oh oh! I probably REALLY would have kicked off the Spookfest with a cicada!

Haha that definitely would have been a dealsealer. Is it just the angle?
What about same dude in "super adorable pikachu palm-sized bindi buddha" pose?

He's a male gamer... maybe I should have gone with its gold-plated armor closeup?

Or its glass wings?

A baby butterfly?!

Maybe it's a size thing? Perhaps a tiny emerald fly?

Itty bitty Snail?!

How can he hate all bugs!! *Whimpers* *Sobs* *Cries*
How can EoS, A GoDDeSS of NaTuRe, be companion to a bugcist!!!

*giggles*

Does anyone else find ALL bugs creepy?
Does anyone else find them as delightfully full of beauty and personality as any other earthling, like I do? ツ
Fiernocht
Legendary Scribe

Post by Fiernocht »

I love bugs, all bugs are cute in their own ways. even simple lil slugs.
“No tree, it is said, can grow to heaven unless its roots reach down to hell.”
― C.G. Jung
Tredin
Elder Scribe

Post by Tredin »

I really enjoyed reading and seeing all these pictures. Thank you Eos
Genericko
Journeyman Scribe

Post by Genericko »

Flying bugs give me fright, as I try to run away! *NOT IN THE FACE*! Anything without wings, especially spiders, I can get there behavior as they hunt for food, be it your common house fly or a piece of some kids candy.
Gaara
Legendary Scribe

Post by Gaara »

Tredin wrote:I really enjoyed reading and seeing all these pictures. Thank you Eos
^ :nod:

Bugs are adorable :3
[Glyph]
Legendary Scribe

Post by [Glyph] »

Awesome close ups. When I find my moth and bees pics I will post them. How do you get them to sit still? You must have the "I will not eat ypu vibe down pat". :D
[Glyph]
Legendary Scribe

Post by [Glyph] »

Natures little busy bodies
Natures little busy bodies
Busy Bee.jpg (153.81 KiB) Viewed 6257 times
A very pretty Moth
A very pretty Moth
Pretty Moth.jpg (14.89 KiB) Viewed 6264 times
:verymad:
You spit that out RIGHT NOW!!!  Dadgum frog......
You spit that out RIGHT NOW!!! Dadgum frog......
Frog eating moth.jpg (59.34 KiB) Viewed 6275 times