just wishful thinking

Name says it all
jimbo.marshall
Master Scribe

just wishful thinking

Post by jimbo.marshall »

I have been thinking about so many ways i can start a shard fantasy football league. ive come up with a way i can incorporate it into the shard. I am willing to put up a Bone crusher as the prize for first place, a spirit of totem for second and split the entry fee of gold amongst 3-5 place. 10 people is all the league can hold. The entry fee would be 100k gold and i would provide the prizes. I don't plan on taking a cut. I know that fantasy football isn't UO related in any way shape or form but i do think it would be a way to make new friends with ppl you run past while you are slaying in dungeons or destroying champs and have something else to talk about. maybe even connect with ppl on a deeper level than just "hey what champ did you run, do you know if so and so is up?" I feel like this shard is about more than that. This shard has done alot for me irl and I think many people feel the same way. If i can get 5 people to sign up, i will comission the league and the best part is you will have a chance to control your own destiny. In the event i win it, for those who think im trying to gain something other than conversation, i will give the prize to 2nd place. I think its just a really fun way to get to know people outside of the constraints of the shard, not that theres anything wrong with the way it is ran, but this would allow the shard to grow in commradery and we all know when people hear that this shard is different they want to check it out. i wish there was spell check on here but, oh well, you know what im trying to say. if anyone is interested post on here or [pm dirk sanchez. Like I said, i gain nothing from this other than getting to know some of the great people in this shard. staff is welcome to join too, although they would only benefit the same way i would. Who knows, might help add a little more to the human aspect of the staff that is already very prevalent. just a thought. let me know if you think its a good idea, heck, let me know if you think im an idiot. its not going to hurt my feelings. if it is going to happen i will need commitments by Aug 15. thanks for showing interest in my ideas.
Dirk Sanchez
Dirk Sanchez
Nylonathotep
Passer by

Re: just wishful thinking

Post by Nylonathotep »

I'd be interested to hear more about the proposed game mechanics for said football.

When you say "fantasy" football, do you mean based on r/l football? If so, do you mean Football in an American sense of errr rugby with padding, or do you mean football as in soccer (as you call it)?

Alternatively, do you mean to create an in game league?

I suppose that would then be "bagball" rather than football? If you could get the buy in of the GM's, it could be PvP, but with no gear so that the only ability at a players disposal would be paralyse? Maybe in a purpose built arena with spectator seating to encourage others to come and watch a game and communicate with one another?

Ny
tiggerjlk
Elder Scribe

Post by tiggerjlk »

I'm in!
Are you looking at a draft kind of thing, or a lottery or players? maybe each week we get a lottery of teams to keep it simple.
Soylentgreen
jimbo.marshall
Master Scribe

Post by jimbo.marshall »

i was thinking 1 live draft. never done a lottery style, but if you want to explain it im up for suggestions
Dirk Sanchez
jimbo.marshall
Master Scribe

Post by jimbo.marshall »

Nyl, fantasy football is based on american football. sorry i didnt think about the fact that not everyone is in america. it is a game based on football games that happen irl. you draft your team of players at the beginning of the season and when they gain yards, score touchdowns, etc you get points. the fantasy football industry in the untied states is a multi billion dollar industry. it really is alot of fun. i dont know what your access is like in ireland but if you can get on line you can view your roster and see how your team did. i would be interested to see how well someone who doesnt know the names of the players would do. i wouldnt be suprised to see success. people overthink it when they think they know everything about the sport. thats why i never win in my other leagues
Dirk Sanchez
MhBlis
Journeyman Scribe

Post by MhBlis »

But why should it just be American Football? Why not a sport that is based on popularity of those who would take part. I'd much prefer pretty much any other sport.

I play in leagues, for Rugby, English Football Premiership league, League of Legends, Cricket and 20/20. And as a side note there is one for the Rugby World Cup which is starting very very soon.

TL/DR
I would be interested if it was a sport I was actually interested in :)
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

MhBlis wrote:But why should it just be American Football? Why not a sport that is based on popularity of those who would take part.
Well, because that's what he is interested in and he's the one running it :)
Maybe you can use a similar basis to start one for a sport you are more interested in
tiggerjlk
Elder Scribe

Post by tiggerjlk »

jimbo.marshall wrote:i was thinking 1 live draft. never done a lottery style, but if you want to explain it im up for suggestions
The lottery one, basically this (with a few more details):

Each week everyone gets a random drawing that results in say 10 total teams (so that there is more of a chance of randomness). Each team you have that wins, equals 1 point, the person at the end of the season with the most points wins. For the season, you have a total of 5 "re-draws." so if you really don't like a team (like Greenbay for example, because no-one should like them :) ) you can use one of your "re-draws to try another random pick. If you get Greenbay again, then you have to keep them for the week. You can use no more than one re-draw in a week.

This also helps people from giving up. All it takes is a good week or two, and you are right back on top.

I play in a league that is like the real fantasy football. But then we have the random drawing one for people who still want to play, but they don't know a lot about all the teams.
Soylentgreen
jimbo.marshall
Master Scribe

Post by jimbo.marshall »

That is a really good idea Tig. I'm happy to do it that way. Alot more simple and appealing to people who don't know the players.What +Nyx said is correct. Its not that I have anything against those sports, however we don't have pro rugby here. It was an idea i had to unify people and have some fun. Since I would be the one in charge, I would need to keep up with it. If you wanted to follow the same pattern or something similar i would be glad to participate in yours too. To be honest, I couldn't even explain to you how rugby is played. I could write a novel on the rules of American football because i was raised in Texas where football is second only to religion. I really appreciate the feedback, negative or positive.
Dirk Sanchez
MhBlis
Journeyman Scribe

Post by MhBlis »

That is one answer Nyx but it my not have been his?

It is the likely answer as well though I agree.

Though I did want to put up my support for an idea like this but be clear why I wouldnt be partaking :)
Dain Firehelm
Elder Scribe

Post by Dain Firehelm »

I'm in xD im alrady a fantasy football crazed, so why wouldnt i join an Excelsior league? :D but off the all the ideas i've seen, why dont we just take it to the nfl fantasy league maker and create one there called excelsior? all we would need iis to look for each others by wirting here our username right?

well as i said, im in no matter the format, but my favouirte is a classical live draft and default scoring :D so i'll keep an eye on this post and also through pms. This week im not gonna be on, but after that i will.

ps1: my username in the nfl fantasy page is "juzamdjinn"

ps: dips on AP and OBJ :P (jk!)
- Khamul