New player to the server

Name says it all
PersistentPanda
Novice Scribe

New player to the server

Post by PersistentPanda »

Greetings to one and all!

I've had a long and nostalgic relationship with Ultima Online since Septebmer 24, 1997 when she first launched. I haven't played continuously for all of that time, and definitely the game has changed enormously from what it was. But to this day, I still haven't come across a game with as engaging and rewarding (addicting?) a crafting mechanism as UO. I've played on a variety of servers, I've been in a variety of guilds (Order of the Ebon Skull, Shadowclan Orcs, Undead, Crimson Alliance, fought against some of the Lost Order of Akallabeth folks, etc.) and I've done the RP thing. Not sure if this is an RP server or not, but it looks like it's ranked in the top slot, so I reckon it'll be a big enough community that if someone turns out to be a jagged pill, I can just avoid interacting with them.

I'm a genuinely laidback, nice guy (which, oddly enough, is what every uptight jerk seems to say about him/herself too, but I actually mean it, haha. Maybe we all like to project who we wish we were and ignore who we actually are? #butthatsnoneofmybusinessthough). I really enjoy playing crafting and healing roles, and assuming the server population and economy are strong enough to sustain me, I will likely fill those two roles straightaway with two different characters.

If I'm fortunate, my wife will be joining me in a few weeks to play as well, and I'm going to try to hook a couple friends into playing with us too. But for now, it's just lil' ol' me. You can call me David.

I'll update this with my character names once I figure them out.

For now, please know you can get in touch with me via Skype at MentorOfMinos. My AIM handle is the same: MentorOfMinos. I use Digsby and Skype, so if you have either of those you should be able to find me. Otherwise, I'll plan to be on Team Speak and interact over microphone. Let's be friends and have some laughs, because drama sucks and UO is too legendary and awesome to crap it up with nonsense.

Cheers,

David

P.S. Eastern Standard Time Zone if you care to know.
Ilsanor
Legendary Scribe

Re: New player to the server

Post by Ilsanor »

Welcome to the shard. Since you are a UO vet, you probably know the basics, but a lot of things here are custom so it might take you a bit to get accustomed to how things are. First off - there are no strict roles here. Since there is no skill cap, you can be anything and everything. Most people start as tamers (due to availability of very powerful pets) and then move to dexxer (220 dex makes bandage use take 0,3s AKA insta-heal) to finally end up as one-man (or woman) gods. But no worries, the good staff has challenges for even those that might think they achieved everything. The playerbase is for the most part laid-back and helpful and you will find that most jagged pills are shown the door long before they have the time to spoil anyone's fun. Read the wiki to get an overview of this shard's many wondrous aspects and feel free to ask any questions here or in-game and someone will be glad to answer.

If you want to chat be free to post me a [pm Ilsanor, though you might find it hard to catch me online due to the fact I'm Central European time.
darkfiend
Novice Scribe

Post by darkfiend »

welcome!
justinkace
Journeyman Scribe

Post by justinkace »

PersistentPanda wrote:I still haven't come across a game with as engaging and rewarding (addicting?) a crafting mechanism as UO.
Did you ever play Star Wars Galaxies (before they screwed it up...)? It still remains the benchmark against which all other crafting systems are measured for me. Truly brilliant.

In any case, welcome!! I am a newbie here too. Have a blast, and I look forward to seeing you around!
Dain
Apprentice Scribe

Post by Dain »

Welcome, great staff and friendly players here. Plenty of house spots and the ability to have everything on one character is amazing. Read the Wiki New Player Guide, its really good to have a clear focused path before you begin because its VERY easy to just get lost in having all your skills available on one character.

If you get stuck you can PM me [Veit Dumarr] in game, like Justin I am new as well but happy to help if I can. I am based CET though so interaction may be limited but definately happy for any RP opportunities.

Welcome again.

Dain.