Which pet would you rather use?

Name says it all

Which pet would you rather use?

Predator Hellcats - (Firebreath, Pack Instinct, 25% Fire dmg)
30%
Scorpion - (Lvl 5 Poison/Immune, Pack Instinct)
17%
Giant Ice Worm - (Lvl 3 Poison/Immune, 90% Cold dmg)
30%
Frenzied Ostard - (Mount, Pack Instinct)
4%
Rideable Pack Llama - (Mount, Backpack)
17%

Total votes: 23

Devlin
Legendary Scribe

Re: Which pet would you rather use?

Post by Devlin »

Gaara wrote:I was 50/50 on the kittens vs ostards but i voted for ostards in the end :nod:
yay the first fozzy vote! :P

Predator hellcats are basically nobles... Just not as fast and you can't ride. Fire damage isn't the best, but I was just noting any differences; it does tend to do less dmg.

And on the hounds thing: I was probably going to do hell hounds/ice hounds for the firebreath/stun combo (ty yoda.) Only downside is i gotta oint two sets of parents as they're diff species... But a pack of squirrels, hell hounds and ice hounds would wreck stuff. Mad dmg, stun, and firebreath ability. Plus having a cheaper alternative to an imp that also is maxed and can tank far better than an imp is sweet. So after the hounds I'll prolly do the winner from here. Pred hellcats sound cool and have nice stats, so if that's what the people call for, I'll try em out :P
Resident Wiki Editor/Village Idiot

EasyUO Scripts
ReArmer
ReArmer (Old Version)
ReReader
Separate Journal for Guild or Public Chat (Old)
---------------------------------------------
Combat Focus Guide (Godmode Formula)
Yoda
Legendary Scribe

Post by Yoda »

anything to increase biodiversity is good.. the hounds are something I could see catching on. especially since they pack up with imps
Guildmaster: JDI - Est 2011
Annachie
Elysium Beta Tester

Post by Annachie »

I like the hounds idea. Now you just need a hound that does energy damage and a hound that does poison damage to complete the set.

Gotta catch them all. :)
Character name: Ebony
Devlin
Legendary Scribe

Post by Devlin »

Based on the result, I've decided....

Hell Hounds!

yeah, they aren't on the list. but they have fire breath, pack instinct, and happen to share that pack instinct with imprisoned pets. So you can have a couple of these as tank pets with your squirrels for damage and go all.

I'll prolly add ice hounds in there too as they can stun targets.

EasyUO Scripts
ReArmer
ReArmer (Old Version)
ReReader
Yoda
Legendary Scribe

Post by Yoda »

Agony
Legendary Scribe

Post by Agony »

All pets are obsolete. Just grab 5 or more imps and oint them. Problem solved for the rest of the time that you play here on Excelsior. :)

All maxed pets are the same here. Some have the ability to poison, some breath fire, and some cast spells. The main difference is whether or not they have pack instinct.
The question here is, which damage do you need dealt. Then you have to look at pack instinct. The best thing to do on Excelsior is to go with donkeys... er, well, mules for tanks, or noble horses for offensive damage. The key here is to trust your farm animal and you will slay the dragon. Nothing can stand up to farm animals on Excelsior :nod:

*edit*
I have 5 maxed slimes. They do the job just as anything else. Working on some maxed tropical birds now, they will own the shard once maxed. It does not matter what you have, it just matters what stats they have. All animals here have a cap, and it is the same for everything. So, All animals that are breed here are the same. Makes no difference in what you have. As long as they are maxed.
...Dimiir Borgu
Devlin
Legendary Scribe

Post by Devlin »

Just trying to diversify the pet market a bit. There's four things used here: Mules, nobles, cu's, or imprisoned pets. Three of four of those options aren't exactly... cool.
Agony wrote:All maxed pets are the same
Agony wrote: Some have the ability to poison, some breath fire, and some cast spells.
The question here is, which damage do you need dealt. Then you have to look at pack instinct.

So there are things that set pets apart :P

Pulled these from my earlier post:
-Abilities (firebreath, poison, etc)
-Damage type (cold, fire, energy, etc.)
-Mount?
-Backpack?
-Pack Instinct?

While all of these together play a part, there's some important ones to look at.
Abilities: Pets with firebreath do more damage than pets without. Very simple. Pets with poison/magery do more as well, but not as much as firebreath (I'm assuming this :P)
Damage breakdown: Nobles do 40% phys/59% energy. That's part of the reason they destroy everything; energy resist is generally the lowest on monsters throughout the shard. Therefore, damage breakdown is a crucial element in this.
Backpack: Beneficial, not a deal breaker in the least. Only a few have this however, so definitely separates them.
Mount: Beneficial, not a deal breaker in the least. There's only three mounts with packs to my knowledge: Cu's, Mules, and Rideable Llama's.
Pack Instinct: Whether a single pet (ie, mules) or a pack (ie, nobles) is better is another argument :P

The reason nobles/mules win is because they don't have any of those things that set others back, they just have everything.

Nobles: Firebreath, Pack Instinct, Mount, great damage breakdown, AND super fast? Nothing comes close aside from predator hellcats or hell hounds, and neither can be ridden or run around like The Flash.
Mules: Magery, Poison Immune, Mount, and a backpack? Rideable llama's can be ridden and have a pack, but aren't exactly fighters. Giant Ice Worms have lvl 3 poison, and are immune, but you would look funny riding that thing through Brit, if you could even hold on.

Now, moving on from defending all pets to just hell hounds. You can buy two of these, maxed, with 1.1k HP, and use your squirrels with them. These things can tank while your squirrels do massive damage (and the hell hounds still have firebreath and hit equally as hard as nobles ((that are gen 2+.)) So you can buy 1000 ointments at 1.5m, 140k ginseng at 700k to put one squirrel up to max health... Or spend 100k per hell hound with 1.1k HP/550 Stam, Max Str/Dex/Int/Resists, etc. etc. etc. WITH points left over to spend... . hrmmmmmmmmmmm.
Last edited by Devlin on Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:30 pm, edited 6 times in total.

EasyUO Scripts
ReArmer
ReArmer (Old Version)
ReReader
Yoda
Legendary Scribe

Post by Yoda »

or put in one hell hound and one ice hound.. for a similar cost.. the ice hound will stun your enemy and your hell hound will breath weapon tank and both will contribute to the pack of your squirrels/dogs/ferrets.. and with squirrels/ferrets the combination of all 3 will have you dealing poison/fire/and cold damage.. along with a breath weapon and stun..

yup sounds all the same to me
Devlin
Legendary Scribe

Post by Devlin »

There's a belief here, or a stereotype, whatever you want to call it, that the only pets that are worth time are Mules/Nobles and Imprisoned pets, with Cu Sidhes shining in particular moments (and winning the award for the only pet that shouldn't be on a farm somewhere.) There's no denying they are the best, but there are a few pets that could be introduced that could hold their own weight, most of which I've put into the voting section of this thread. People don't buy anything outside of the big 4 because there is nothing available, not since Highroller... rolled on out of here.

EasyUO Scripts
ReArmer
ReArmer (Old Version)
ReReader
Yoda
Legendary Scribe

Post by Yoda »

and there are just so many pet animations styles etc, the fact that maxxed out they could all hold their own in a battle means its more of a "why not" situation.. which is why I made the flamingo pet.. (also good because its truely a pet for newer players with its low taming/lore).

the only real negative is when you get into 2 and 3 slot pets.. they should have extra capability to justify the higher slots and they generally don't.
wnightmare
Passer by

Post by wnightmare »

I'm not a big fan of using a bunch of animals to do my work, doesn't suit my playstyle at all.

I'm thinking of grabbing one rune bettle (i know its 3 slots =/) and using it to tank stuff for me. And since they have the armor corruption thingy they would boost my dmg as well.

Alsol, they look cool 8)
KenGCE
Expert Scribe

Post by KenGCE »

i would use the ice worms because... well they're just rather cute!
an odd thing i have used is a full pack of maxxed cranes, "flamingos" (because they'd dyed pink).
they can take down balron, they're pretty interesting! i am 90% sure i bought them from yoda!

my favorite pets to use are cu sidhes, nightmares, and rune beetles. i have a pair of mares maxxed out and they work like a charm. i plan on buying an animal slot for double cu sidhes... and i would really enjoy a maxxed rune beetle to duo with a mare but i can't quite commit to breeding..
i play Kenzie on the shard.
TyGeR
Passer by

Post by TyGeR »

if those are what I had to pick from, assuming each pet only took 1 pet slot, I think I'd do 4 hellcats and 1 scorpion. The hellcats get pack and have the fire breath, and the one scorpion to add poison to my target.

I have always thought that the way mules and nobles are on this server was odd. But I under stand that they add the ability for a single player to do something that would normally take a group of players. Just thought it was odd that a pack of horses were stronger then dragons and wyrms, but I roll with whats laided out infront of me.
redforrussia
Apprentice Scribe

Post by redforrussia »

I personally find cait siths quite enjoyable. The three slots they take up is completely justifiable as a second backpack and that it spawns like 3-6 faeries to fight with it and it has a feline pack instinct so if i were to get 6 slots i could run around with 2 feline pack instinct boosted cait siths that are maxed with a crap ton of faeries and the two caits using their magic breath.
The Purple Princess, Dreams of Reality Guild [ツ]

In Soviet Excelsior table flips you! ┻━┻︵¯\_(ツ)_/¯︵┻━┻