Treasure Hunting Part 2

Name says it all
Pariah
Legendary Scribe

Re: Treasure Hunting Part 2

Post by Pariah »

Now this is a treasure hunting update thread! I like a ton of these ideas. Snowglobes of the cities is great, not just for Christmas (Fallout: New Vegas anyone?). I agree that if level 6 is always going to give an arti, there should be something comparable for doing a 7 or 8. Note: I know how devious (like that pun?) you are +Req. That doesn't mean take away the artis in level 6. :P I also like the idea of a collection or assembly. The only thing I have to add is that from mostly level 5s, I've only ever seen a soulstone shard, a coconut, and a bucket. I don't know how the system works. Could just be randomness kicking in. My suggestion would be that if there is a limitation on what items can appear in what level, I would prefer that nearly all items, except those at 7 or 8, be available in all level chests. Perhaps there is just a *smaller* chance of receiving a drop at level 1 versus 5. This could be how it works already. If so, blink twice...

EDIT: Oh, and one other thing. We need a lime...for the coconut...
+Requiem
Legendary Scribe

Post by +Requiem »

I originally thought that too, but then whats the incentive to do level one chests when you are a veteran with full relayers? If we make certain things *only drop* in lower level chests, you have to either do those, or buy them from someone who does do them, which could help a younger player out with some needed gold.

Currently we broke the chests up into groups, and not a level 1 chest, a level 2 chest, etc. the grouping might be 1 and 2 drop XYZ, 3 and 4 drop ABC, or whatever. I would like to add specific items (collections maybe) to each specific level chest, so that those level 1's have some reward in them, and thus a reason to actually go and do them.

That being said, I would need to come up with at least 8 collections, preferably of at least 5 or more items each.
Yoda
Legendary Scribe

Post by Yoda »

it would definitely be worth the effort, I agree with the logic of having specific items at each level for the very reasons you listed. All level maps should hold some value and that will help them do so
Guildmaster: JDI - Est 2011
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

I've already suggested some of these to +R but I suppose I'll post them here, and a few new ones too.

Collections:
- mini-buildings, each named for a shop in a specific city. IE: Moonglow Mage shop, Vesper Bank, British's Castle, etc
- novels (not actually readable)
- tapestries of the various dungeons
- collection of music boxes (that play a song when clicked)
- items named for famous fictional characters - Gravestones, mini-statues, etc
- monster statuettes named for shard-specific mobs, or groups of other fictional mobs - the seven dwarves, ringwraiths, and so on.
- staff-based collections, each staffer picking a type. For instance mine might be a handful of items all in the vein of cooking utensils/bakeware, +V's might be a set of weapons
- Wall-tapestries or pre-made carpets with special themes - tapestries of famous battles in UO lore, Aubusson carpets etcetc.

I like the mini-boats idea, but I think those would be better suited to a future fishing update than for treasure hunting.
Yoda
Legendary Scribe

Post by Yoda »

+Nyx wrote:I've already suggested some of these to +R but I suppose I'll post them here, and a few new ones too.

Collections:
- mini-buildings, each named for a shop in a specific city. IE: Moonglow Mage shop, Vesper Bank, British's Castle, etc
- monster statuettes named for shard-specific mobs, or groups of other fictional mobs - the seven dwarves, ringwraiths, and so on.
- staff-based collections, each staffer picking a type. For instance mine might be a handful of items all in the vein of cooking utensils/bakeware, +V's might be a set of weapons
- Wall-tapestries or pre-made carpets with special themes - tapestries of famous battles in UO lore, Aubusson carpets etcetc.

I like the mini-boats idea, but I think those would be better suited to a future fishing update than for treasure hunting.
brilliant.. love the mini buildings and named monster statues.. I know pheobe would love both of those, kinda reminds me of some of her real life collections
Guildmaster: JDI - Est 2011
Lust
Elder Scribe

Post by Lust »

My hoarder's heart just skipped a beat with +Nyx's suggestions...
Pariah
Legendary Scribe

Post by Pariah »

+Requiem wrote:I originally thought that too, but then whats the incentive to do level one chests when you are a veteran with full relayers? If we make certain things *only drop* in lower level chests, you have to either do those, or buy them from someone who does do them, which could help a younger player out with some needed gold.

Currently we broke the chests up into groups, and not a level 1 chest, a level 2 chest, etc. the grouping might be 1 and 2 drop XYZ, 3 and 4 drop ABC, or whatever. I would like to add specific items (collections maybe) to each specific level chest, so that those level 1's have some reward in them, and thus a reason to actually go and do them.

That being said, I would need to come up with at least 8 collections, preferably of at least 5 or more items each.
That's cool. I like the groupings. I figured there was some logic to it. From my perspective, it probably still wouldn't get me to do less than a level 5 so you are correct in that I would buy the items. Perhaps I overlooked the economic opportunity for newer players. Like all +Nyx's suggestions as well. Just promise me we will get the lime...for the coconut... :)
Sethra Lavode
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Sethra Lavode »

+Nyx wrote:I've already suggested some of these to +R but I suppose I'll post them here, and a few new ones too.

Collections:

That is about enough to make me lose my mind... :nod:

I have done 2 diabolical maps and I have saved them both...simply because I think it is wonderful: so the notion of a picture frame option would be fantastic! As well, neither of the chests had anything special in them which was a bit disappointing, but I do not mean that as a complaint. I was just really surprised - a level 6 gives you at least a paragon drop...and now can possibly give you a greater T-Map and/or deco.

There are so many great ideas on this thread :dance
Starfish & coffee, maple syrup & jam. Butterscotch clouds & a tangerine, side order of ham.
Sethra Lavode
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Sethra Lavode »

Oh! One more thought: saving finished t-maps for the destash makes my toes curl...not in the good way. It's just one more thing to hang onto.

Peace
Starfish & coffee, maple syrup & jam. Butterscotch clouds & a tangerine, side order of ham.
Ishamael
Elder Scribe

Post by Ishamael »

Love the collections idea +Nyx, how bout this idea, a five or maybe 8 piece collections of map fragments. all part of a level 9 map when all are found and assembled with a minimum of 130 Cartography, or some such. find all the parts and get a level 9 map that leads to a chest with a rare, possibly powerful Artifact or Weapon. Or perhaps you can make it a 5 part pass to get into a small custom dungeon with a boss fight. Perhaps one of the collections can be Decorative unique armor that isn't powerful itself, but could be sampled for relayers. Never done a relayer before, so I don't really know the mechanics of it. with the multipart map, it might be a good idea to account bind them, to make getting the final prize more challenging. Another Collection Idea, character sized (or nearly) chess pieces. would make for some awesome deco for these older players with 6 house plots connected together (you know who you are, people). I try to think up some more, but I really like the idea of collecting map fragments.

Great thread, great ideas, keep em coming folks.
Maligant
Apprentice Scribe

Post by Maligant »

You could also play on the taming angle - add a new tameable (possibly a mount) that has an exceedingly low chance of spawning in the initial T-Map spawn. Or alternatively, add the new tameable as a shrunken pet inside the chest. Or alternatively (again), add a new Imp as chest loot - a chicken (etc) imprisoned in a statue?
Gaara
Legendary Scribe

Post by Gaara »

+Nyx wrote: - collection of music boxes (that play a song when clicked)
- staff-based collections, each staffer picking a type. For instance mine might be a handful of items all in the vein of cooking utensils/bakeware, +V's might be a set of weapon
*heavy breathing*
Ishamael
Elder Scribe

Post by Ishamael »

The discussion in this thread makes me wonder if I should have kept all my completed Tmaps. so far, I ahve only kept the Diabolical that I have done. I trash all the others. Please don't make completed tmaps a destash item, I have enough cluttering up my houses without saving all the used treasure maps. :D
korndogg
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by korndogg »

What about the chance for a t-map guardian spawn to actually be a doom guantlet mini boss that drops a random arti. Or maybe chance at a spawn being an abomination. While were at it, a higher level map (7 or 8), to be a peerless mob like Lady Mel. I know that would get my heart racing. I love a good surprise :dance

I figure anyone who can complete a level 7 and up could handle that. Not like they would spawn on a level 2 and totally destroy someone. Just a thought that makes me happy
Randy Marsh
Birko
Elder Scribe

Post by Birko »

Has anyone died during a treasure hunt quest?
Particularly in Fellucca, on an isolated island?
Gameplay should mean if you fail, you suffer significant loss.