The Walking Dead Event

Keep track of this topic. All announcements and short-term rules will be written here.
+Nyx
Administrator

Re: The Walking Dead Event

Post by +Nyx »

I haven't had time to test this idea yet, but possibly over the weekend I will- I'm considering changing the spawn a bit. There would be overall fewer walkers on the island, but some would behave differently. For example, some would run fast, some would hit harder, some would be more resistant to hits etc.

Changes definitely to be implemented (when I've got time):
- The nicer weapons will go onto moving spawners
- Some sort of user-based blocking for the walkers. Failing a fix for the crates, I might instead implement paralyze scrolls or something.
- Modify weight on all weapons. Their weight was meant to be a deterrent to carrying many of them but it isn't working that way currently.

Sadly, I've been busy with RL and haven't had enough time to babysit the event in order to get players their lost backpacks back in a timely enough fashion and I haven't yet heard from +C about the bug or a fix for it. I may have to close the event all together until he can repair it or my schedule clears up some. I'll announce as things happen/change, in game as well as here in the thread.
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

This event is now closed for the time being. I'll make an announcement and update this thread if/when it reopens.

If by the end of this weekend it doesn't seem likely to reopen in a timely fashion I'll figure out the rewards based on the progress made thus far and close that part out.
heyyo
Legendary Scribe

Post by heyyo »

It wasn't a problem with player's bank boxes not having enough room to hold all their stuff was it? I know my bank box is almost full as is, can't imagine it would have enough room after being stripped for this event.
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

The packs are forced into your bank even if the bank is full. You just wouldn't be able to add more items to the bank until you removed enough to go below the item limit.
Opopanax
Legendary Scribe

Post by Opopanax »

I didn't read that the event has closed temporarily before logging in and I'm not stuck inside the event with no way to escape :(
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

The gate-stealing-your-items bug has not been fixed as of today, and this event will remain closed until such a time as the gates are working reliably. Sometime this week I will try to get around to adding a turn-in for the quest books. We won't have a special prize for the most kills since the event did not run for the intended length of time, however anyone turning in a book will receive a nice reward.
Aryck
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Aryck »

Aryck wins event.
No prize for winner.
Aryck is so surprised.
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Aryck wrote:Aryck wins event.
No prize for winner.
Aryck is so surprised.
I think it might be past time for you to get over yourself, Aryck. You seem to love the idea that you're abused by the staff, but you clearly just feel the need to use it as an excuse why you don't get your way whenever you like. Have you forgotten that you won prizes in my Masquerade event - in two separate categories, to boot? If I had any sort of personal grudge against you, I certainly wouldn't let you participate in my events, let alone vote for you to win them.

Regarding this event - You can't really 'win' an event that never completed. You may have had the highest count at the time of closing, probably so, but the event was planned to run for a month and ran for less than half that time. No one else even had a chance to try to catch up, it would not be fair to award a prize meant for a month-long event that ran for so short a time. It will run again, at some point (hopefully relatively soon, though I have no control over when +C can/will fix the gate bug), and you'll be free to go stomp the zombies and win that round fair and square.
Aryck
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Aryck »

It's the fact you said there would be a prize for top killer and now there isn't. Yes, /endsarcasm on the fact it was me, if it wasn't I obviously wouldn't care. I don't think you did it because it was me, thats called a joke, but you did it none the less after I spent a week or so in that place fighting for top prize, now to just get a participation ribbon like anyone who popped in and killed one walker.

Obviously, you didn't plan on cancelling, but as far as "No one else even had a chance to try to catch up, it would not be fair to award a prize meant for a month-long event" goes, 1. The early bird gets the worm 2. Adjust the prize for the time I did spend 3. Doesn't seem "fair" that I spent time for a prize earned and now won't recieve.

I thought, correct me if I am wrong, that the reward would be based on the number of kills/deaths in the event. Despite the time being shortened why would this type of reward and a trophy or something for the top few players still not be fair?
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Aryck wrote:It's the fact you said there would be a prize for top killer and now there isn't. Yes, /endsarcasm on the fact it was me, if it wasn't I obviously wouldn't care. I don't think you did it because it was me, thats called a joke, but you did it none the less after I spent a week or so in that place fighting for top prize, now to just get a participation ribbon like anyone who popped in and killed one walker.

Obviously, you didn't plan on cancelling, but as far as "No one else even had a chance to try to catch up, it would not be fair to award a prize meant for a month-long event" goes, 1. The early bird gets the worm 2. Adjust the prize for the time I did spend 3. Doesn't seem "fair" that I spent time for a prize earned and now won't recieve.

I thought, correct me if I am wrong, that the reward would be based on the number of kills/deaths in the event. Despite the time being shortened why would this type of reward and a trophy or something for the top few players still not be fair?
I might buy the 'humor' angle if you weren't constantly making these poor-me statements in-game and out every time you don't get your way. Suffice to say it's not appropriate or appreciated.

I can spend the little time and willingness I have available to put out something to turn in books for a reward, or I can just spend my time doing something else and let the books decay. At this juncture, I don't have the time to spend on a lengthy system that allows for specific rewards based on progress for the event. It was originally intended that V and I would do the customized rewards at the end of the month-long run, most likely by hand, which is an extremely lengthy and tedious process. Circumstances have since changed, the event needed to close early, and the tiered rewards are not going to happen. We still plan to do so for the next iteration of this event, but at this point it's a matter of do nothing and nobody gets any reward at all, or take a more reasonable chunk of my time to put out something to reward participants. I figured that some reward was better than none, but if you feel otherwise you can always just delete your book.
Pariah
Legendary Scribe

Post by Pariah »

1. Sarcasm and the internet don't mix.
2. Your posts generally seem to lack a sense of tact. Perhaps think through the consequences of things before you post them. I can't count the number of times I've rewritten a forum post or deleted it after a bit of thought.
3. Why would anyone want to reward you after complaining (see #2).
4. +Nyx has been away for a while obviously dealing with some unexpected things that have come up. Do you think you're endearing yourself to her when this is what she comes back to? Start to think about the unintended consequences here. Who wants to host events and fun things when this is the response they receive (see #2).
5. I appreciated the event time that I had. If the alternative is no event, perhaps be grateful (see #2).
6. Thanks +Nyx for the event and welcome back. Hope everything is ok.
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Pariah wrote:4. +Nyx has been away for a while obviously dealing with some unexpected things that have come up. ... Who wants to host events and fun things when this is the response they receive (see #2).
This. So much.

I kinda think that most people need to be reminded of the various points you made, not just in relation to the game but also for life. It's pretty sad how common sense isn't so common anymore, let alone common decency.
Pariah wrote:6. Thanks +Nyx for the event and welcome back. Hope everything is ok.
You're welcome, and thanks for the kind words. I too hope that things will be more reasonable and 'ok' from here out, but it's not entirely under my own control so we'll see. Here's hopin'!
fixxer1963
Legendary Scribe

Post by fixxer1963 »

There are so many things that I thought of to say. But as I thought of each one, I recalled that it had already been said... to the same person... many times. There comes a point when we need to just consider some people as background noise, and not take it seriously. Welcome back Nyx, I sincerely hope that whatever the issue was, is at least getting better.
Adrycks
Legendary Scribe

Post by Adrycks »

I loved this quest. Can't get enough of those zombies. Thx for that + Nyx
Agony
Legendary Scribe

Post by Agony »

Thanks for this quest +Nyx. I had fun just being there doing it.. I did not even think about trying to win it. This is whats so cool about this particular game. Welcome back, and I also am hoping everything is ok for you and +V