Relayers and Imbuing

Name says it all
+Nyx
Administrator

Re: Relayers and Imbuing

Post by +Nyx »

Dain Firehelm wrote:can there really be any discussion about how "the game is meant to be played"?
When discussing the fact that many players want to skip the game entirely and go straight to the end-game, then yes. That is not how the game was meant to be played in any of its incarnations. It has always been a progressive game - with many options for how to progress and at what pace, yes, but progressive nonetheless.
Dain Firehelm
Elder Scribe

Post by Dain Firehelm »

+Nyx wrote:
Dain Firehelm wrote:can there really be any discussion about how "the game is meant to be played"?
When discussing the fact that many players want to skip the game entirely and go straight to the end-game, then yes. That is not how the game was meant to be played in any of its incarnations. It has always been a progressive game - with many options for how to progress and at what pace, yes, but progressive nonetheless.

I know Nyx :) doesnt get any more progressive than UO hehe i was actually refering to the original post of this thread, which i seemmed to undestand to be a subtle criticism of players who go the relayer way, and the cost of doing so.

On the subject of progessive playing, i can just talk about my own experience. i've been here for 2 years now (1'5 of effective playing) and i didnt get my 1st relayer till a month ago, so u see, Bardkin, there's no need for them at all, cause i can assure u i had a blast every single day of playing here, without any of the so called end-game gear :) I hope this matter doesnt strike you as a deal breaker, and u stay with us for many many years :) cheers!
- Khamul
Bardkin
Journeyman Scribe

Post by Bardkin »

Well, i apologize, I hadnt meant to sound so harsh but... And yes, Ultima was a console game back in the 1980's, the online version was in the late 90's. ( and yes, unfortunately I am that old..)

As for cheating- It is hard to wrap my head around a donation reward that enables a player to become god or god like within a few short days of playing- which there is a lot of. (How many VACANT 18X18 plots do you see being owned by the same person-I have seen as many as 10, and not all grouped together..) in my 3rd month I feel pressured to buy into relayering at the equivalent of $75.00 or so U.S. I just think that a cheaper imbuing deed that allows you limited ability to imbue armor and jewelry as opposed to weapons is a viable request. (Weapons leveling works a bit too well..)
I dont really care how many bosses monsters can kill a fully relayered character. Party up. And Items such as spell channeling are already available. Why not have the ability to take a regent and set LRC to 20 or mana regen to 10 on a chance that both item and regent will be lost, and you can only do it once or twice?

Anyway, +Nyx has pretty much said they wont do it so it really is all a moot point- I'll let it die.
Yoda
Legendary Scribe

Post by Yoda »

its not so much that mate its just what you are reaching to attain already exists without the addition of imbueing

gems & rare gems + tinkering can yield up to 8/8/8 jewelry if enough attempts are made and attempts are cheap
also triple stat jewelry can drop as a rare on certain peerless bosses.

with crafting skills and perhaps bod reward boost pieces & etherial sewing kits + etherial leather armors can be crafted of such a quality as to max multiple support skills such as lrc, resists, rpd, dci etc

thats without relayers.. I did fine with 0 for over a year

as for the 'intense cost of the relayer'

on a non artifact item the cost is 500 eds or roughly 25 million gold
in order to level a non artifact item to the point where it would be worth relayering (in most cases level 100)
by concise claiming etc you have netted 10-15 million gold from the kills required to attain level 100

that means through other avenues, or more lucrative hunting you are hunting a weeks time or so for the added 10 mill gold bees?? (not for me) alchemy keg sales, breeding sales etc.

but you definitely don't need to rush toward a full relayer suit to exist here thats for sure

even without donations its attainable in a reasonable amount of sweat equity for its game value and rather balanced in their implimentation.

Yoda
Guildmaster: JDI - Est 2011
Annachie
Elysium Beta Tester

Post by Annachie »

Bardkin wrote:Well, i apologize, I hadnt meant to sound so harsh but... And yes, Ultima was a console game back in the 1980's, the online version was in the late 90's. ( and yes, unfortunately I am that old..).
Um, no Apple II originally.
I remember it being a nice step up from Colossal Caves. (Somehow we missed Rogue back then)
Character name: Ebony
Raventhorn
Passer by

Post by Raventhorn »

well i do agree with Bardkin Yoda you must not of played UO when imbuing was introduced imbuing allows you to not burn tinkering kit after tinkering kit and hammer after hammer trying to obtain what you wish it allows you to make exactly what you want my account is only 66 days old but yes i yern for some of the things that were in osi UO i really would love to have a bag of recycle yes sure i could use a mobile forge and anvil to smelt the items that are on the monsters but it would be way easier to drop it into a bag and have it recycled for me while i hunt i miss imbuing since i am not a wealthy man in or out of the game i would love to donate and use ED to get exactly what i want but that is not possible for me imbuing would allow me to make things i want without burning the 30+ hammers i already burned and 10+ tinker kits i have already burned and still have not gotten what i want and i can not afford to pay someone 900,000 gold for a triple 8 jewelry piece since i have not yet been to peerless nor gauntlet bosses yet i do my bods and hunting at this point and pray for the day i hit some real gold so i might have a chance to atleast buy with gold what i desire i dont know about you all but i miss spellcasting skill i loved my spell caster i know yeah sure you can say well go back to osi well for me at this point is not possible i enjoy this shard very much but there are things i really miss
Yoda
Legendary Scribe

Post by Yoda »

not of played UO when imbuing was introduced imbuing allows you to not burn tinkering kit after tinkering kit and hammer after hammer trying to obtain what you wish
actually I have... and I disagree that it would be helpfull.

here is the thing. this is an established shard that has never used the feature, and every so often people who are fresher to the excelsior experience suggest it needs to exist, this same debate has been brought up before.

bottom line, there is ways on this shard to get the same impact without it. "imbuing allows you to not burn tinker kit after tinker kit and hammer after hammer" not a good thing then if it existed by your description it would do a great job at further devaluing craft supplies and runic kits.. which is not a good thing.. not to mention the skill is a stygian abyss introduction and therefore.

accept the shard how it is
Guildmaster: JDI - Est 2011
Pariah
Legendary Scribe

Post by Pariah »

I would counter on whether you could even afford a runic kit or imbuing after 66 days on OSI? I just passed the 2 year mark here. I am up to 7 relayers. I've donated one time to the shard for a recovery because one of my kids messed around on my computer and I didn't have the full insurance in the bank (it came out of his allowance) and was nowhere near enough for a relayer. It's all been from grinding. At the same time, I've learned about peerless, tamables, crafting, house deco, and countless other things along the way. The main reason you see the number of players on this shard stay fairly consistent is BECAUSE you can't be uber right away. In my experience, those shards where you can become elite immediately die out rather quickly. As others are suggesting, stop with the envy. Seeing those people with a relayer in multiple slots? Ask them how long they've been here. Trust me, it will have been a while. You can get there too, but enjoy the journey.