Questionable Legality

Name says it all
Pariah
Legendary Scribe

Questionable Legality

Post by Pariah »

Now that got your attention. I've been meaning to post this thread for a long time. It consists of things that are NOT against the shard rules, but should be. Feel free to add your own minor annoyances, trivial grievances, etc. I'm fully aware that this could be locked quickly so try to keep them appropriate and on topic,..

1. Not claiming corpses. Seriously, I don't know why this one bugs me so much. Hey, free gold, ointments and more for me many times, but it still bugs me.
2. Catfishing other players with your gender. 'Nuff said.
3. Waiting around for the champ boss instead of killing the spawn.
4. Waiting around with your 5 pets for the champ boss instead of killing the spawn (Yes, this deserves two lines).
5. Not having a sense of humor in world chat. You should have to pass a high horse check of some sort prior to turning on world chat.
6. Advertising an item as for sale, but refusing to tell anyone the price. We are not gypsies...well...most of us aren't...

I'm sure I'll think of more that are better, but feel free to post your own. Do not name names, unless it's me that does the behavior, because then I will think it's hilarious. :P
+Nyx
Administrator

Re: Questionable Legality

Post by +Nyx »

Pariah wrote:5. Not having a sense of humor in world chat. You should have to pass a high horse check of some sort prior to turning on world chat.
This one made me giggle.
Dramoor
Legendary Scribe

Post by Dramoor »

I prefer no pricing in WC when advertising a sale. When you state a price some don't like 30 people become complete jerks to some. (everyone does it). Too high.. Too Low... I also find that not putting a price, gets only serious people asking about what they want for it...Also giving pricing for an item in WC can hurt an item if a player not really sure of pricing (or one who doesn't care and wants fast sales of items) can hurt the pricing, or in some rare cases shoot the pricing of an item up when that value does not really represent the price.

My opinion though.
Unbeliever
Legendary Scribe

Post by Unbeliever »

Here's my very short list - not much that isn't verboten bothers me a whole lot.

1. Lurking in world chat waiting to jump people's rears. Even if rears need jumping, surely you could engage in friendly, positive dialogue occassionally.
2. Asking a question in world chat without ever introducing one's self followed by not even acknowledging the answer with a 'ty'.
in-game Thomas Covenant
Pariah
Legendary Scribe

Post by Pariah »

Dram, I agree on the pricing thing. My issue is more that they advertise, you pm them, then they want you to tell them the price like it's some kind of silent auction. Then, you offer them what you know is a fair price and they either a) were just trying to do a price check or b) they just double your price assuming your low balling them because they don't know what something is worth.

Un, those are both good ones. I especially love when the question is in the Codex they should've read before even playing, but ignored...

Overall though, I will say this shard has been the most mature and respectful place I've ever played. The staff and players are excellent for the most part even with the minor grievances.
Pariah
Legendary Scribe

Post by Pariah »

+Nyx wrote:
Pariah wrote:5. Not having a sense of humor in world chat. You should have to pass a high horse check of some sort prior to turning on world chat.
This one made me giggle.
Just waiting for you to code this up. :lol:

I have many suggestions like telling 5 jokes and having them rate their offensiveness and recommending a chat filter for them. :P
Devlin
Legendary Scribe

Post by Devlin »

ehhhhhhh
Resident Wiki Editor/Village Idiot

EasyUO Scripts
ReArmer
ReArmer (Old Version)
ReReader
Separate Journal for Guild or Public Chat (Old)
---------------------------------------------
Combat Focus Guide (Godmode Formula)
Cassie
Expert Scribe

Post by Cassie »

My only constant annoyance is the use of Druid spells at champs. I think it should be banned. I also drank the Koolaid & bought a book, before I realized how disruptive it is to other players - especially doom. I used it a few times - then stopped. I now leave when I see a druid at a champ (helps keep me from getting grumpy. Other than world chat, I can think of no other way you can annoy so many people at one time.
Unbeliever
Legendary Scribe

Post by Unbeliever »

Cassie wrote:My only constant annoyance is the use of Druid spells at champs. I think it should be banned. I also drank the Koolaid & bought a book, before I realized how disruptive it is to other players - especially doom. I used it a few times - then stopped. I now leave when I see a druid at a champ (helps keep me from getting grumpy. Other than world chat, I can think of no other way you can annoy so many people at one time.
You know.. I understand that the primary value of the Tome of Nature is being able to use it at champs. Anywhere else you'd probably prefer to (or absolutely need to) move around and use your favorite AOE weapon or be in the process of leveling one. So I don't begrudge the Druids their champ spawn dominance. What I don't get is why whenever I hear complaints about dominance at champion spawns, they're about pets. A sub-uber person working really hard in melee with five mules working hard also has a good chance of not getting a PS when there are multiple Druids present. I know because I've been that guy. Now you could argue that the guy with the five mules is eliminating any chance for the guy running around with just a middling AOE hally to get a PS, but the Druids weren't worrying about him either. Because the truth about champ spawns is that it's everyone for themselves, and that's even more true now that PS are limited and time and damage are important factors. I think asking any player to do less than their absolute utmost at a champ spawn is silly. We're all there for Powerscrolls.
in-game Thomas Covenant
Unbeliever
Legendary Scribe

Post by Unbeliever »

The champ comment reminded me today though of something that should definitely be on this list - players trying to Scavenge other players' champ gold. I lost around 100k at three different champs before someone finally told me what was up - that if you attempt to pick up a pile of gold but don't for some reason (such as your own Scavenger is on but you're overweight) that gold can then be picked up by anyone. I found that out almost a year ago, and from then til now at any champ spawn worked by more than 2 players it never fails that someone will camp other players' gold for a while hoping to Scavenge it. Sometimes they even try REALLY hard to mess a player up and run right on top of someone else just as the champ dies. That causes their gold and the other person's to layer over each other, creating more chance for a drag/drop error. I think either one is a horrible thing to do and it lowers my esteem of a person to -10 when I see it.
in-game Thomas Covenant
Melkor
Legendary Scribe

Post by Melkor »

The only thing annoying about Druids at champs is when they cast trees on the alter, ugh brutal. Other than that I can't possibly see what there is to be annoyed about. They keep Newbs alive even.
TDC Guild
Gaara
Legendary Scribe

Post by Gaara »

Melkor wrote:The only thing annoying about Druids at champs is when they cast trees on the alter, ugh brutal. Other than that I can't possibly see what there is to be annoyed about. They keep Newbs alive even.
Druid myself and got no problem with em other than that.
Semzz
Expert Scribe

Post by Semzz »

to contribute to the de-railment (sorry pariah), its all about the player who is druiding, muling, aoeing, i have found that the majority of people that do champs are considerate of others, so much so that alot of us (not in the same guild) pm each other when champs are up, since most have found that ps drops are completely random, i can complete a champ by myself and get 1 or 2 110 scrolls, so why not invite more ppl so that they can also have a chance to get a ps. i can also say i havent played much in the past month or 2 and we do have alot of new blood. if people are inconsiderate of others, they will be whether druiding or any other form of champing, and probably any form of anything else ie: hunting, buying & selling, just my 2 cents

Now to get back on the rails, People joining a champ spawn when its on or close to the last tier, i know staff removed the 8 candle rule and i have my own ideas about why, but as a person it is just inconsiderate imho

Cheers,
Semzz
Annachie
Elysium Beta Tester

Post by Annachie »

It's nice to have at least one person casting tree's just for the healing and mana recovery.
Character name: Ebony
Asmodean
Legendary Scribe

Post by Asmodean »

1. Not claiming corpses. Seriously, I don't know why this one bugs me so much. Hey, free gold, ointments and more for me many times, but it still bugs me.
2. Catfishing other players with your gender. 'Nuff said.
3. Waiting around for the champ boss instead of killing the spawn.
4. Waiting around with your 5 pets for the champ boss instead of killing the spawn (Yes, this deserves two lines).
5. Not having a sense of humor in world chat. You should have to pass a high horse check of some sort prior to turning on world chat.
6. Advertising an item as for sale, but refusing to tell anyone the price. We are not gypsies...well...most of us aren't...
1) agreed, but hey, their loss, your gain!

2) This is a tough one. Since it's a role-playing game, i have no issues with someone playing a male, female, or other persona. The only time I think it could become an issue, is if one party tries to take things outside the game, and the other one has no interest in that. Remember, you are interacting with the character, not the person unless both parties agree otherwise. I have friends who play opposite genders in the game, and when addressing them in game, i always refer to them as their characters gender while in game, or game related forums/team speak etc.

3) Not a lot to be done here unfortunately :( It is annoying though.

4) most people don't realize once the boss is out, its a lot easier for everyone involved to NOT use pets. grab a yumi, enemy of one, and armor pierce. Will nab you a power scroll just about every single time. (Maybe different with the new way champs are done). Plus you get the added benefit being able to encircle the boss and have him bounce between you all, instead of running away in a singular direction from the pets, while everyone chases after them.

5) Meh. Its world chat. You have to take the good with the bad, or turn it off :) Or ignore certain people who annoy you. ie: the ones lacking said sense of humor.

6) Another tough one. There's a couple ways of looking at it though. First, someone could just be trying to figure out what something is worth, or get the best price possible. If i advertise XYZ for 1 mil, first person gets it. Or that's how it should be. If I ask for an offer, 3 people could PM me, and then I get a choice (obviously for the highest bidder). If i wanted a store front, and set price, I'd put it on a vendor ;) First come, first serve. When I ask for offers, that's exactly what I want. Hopefully several interested people.
The only thing annoying about Druids at champs is when they cast trees on the alter, ugh brutal. Other than that I can't possibly see what there is to be annoyed about. They keep Newbs alive even.
It's just the most efficient place to cast them. I rock lure stone with my trees, so its pulling everything from everywhere to a central location for everyone. (with restrictions depending on which champ ie: doom/terra/fire/etc). I also have my attacker on to whirlwind. Join in the fun. No druid book you say? Use the mana regen and throw out some area affect earthquakes, or whirlwinds of your own. I actually hit 120 magery from doing earthquakes at champs using other peoples trees.

One of my pet peeves while champing is people not using the restorative soil I throw on the ground to rez them. I don't know if they just don't know what it is, or can't see it, or what. I just find it easier to target the ground when my script(s) are running. Usually they are running around trying to be noticed, so when I go to click, they moved out of range, or thought i was taking too long, or I dunno!

Look for the dirt folks! It saves lives!