How to fix Razor, Virtual Memory error and screen flashes

Don't know how something works? Here you will find some useful links. And if you have a question, feel free to ask.
JimTheDM
Elder Scribe

How to fix Razor, Virtual Memory error and screen flashes

Post by JimTheDM »

Over the past several weeks I have been noticing people saying that Razor does not work here, well I am here to tell you it does. I have helped quite a few get it up and running successfully so I thought it was time to post up what is needed to fix these issues.

How to fix almost all razor issues, flashing of screens and client crashes using razor.

Razor by default tries to look for UO is the following directory: C:\Program Files\Ultima Online
The installer for UOEX does not put it there so that is one reason that people have issues with it. It is very easy to fix.
In the area marked Client options point razor to your client.exe in your UO folder using the browse button.
In the area marked UO Data Directory point razor to the folder you found the client.exe in using the browse button.
Next make sure the server is set to shard.uoex.net and the port is 60.
Now once you have that click make these settings default and click okay.

If you get a Virtual memory error:

Right click on computer (or my computer) goto properties check to see how much ram you have. If it’s 4GB then you want to set your virtual ram to 3 times the amount of ram. Not 12GB. Here is the formula:
1 GB ram = 1024 MB that times the amount of ram. So 4 GB would be 4 x 1024 = 4096 x 3 =12288.

Now on that window that you opened goto advanced system settings.
Click the settings button then on the advanced tab
Click Change
Uncheck automatically manage paging file if it is checked

In the custom size set both fields to the number you came up with using the above formula then click set and Ok.
You may need to reboot.
UO likes to start in the first 2GB of virtual ram so make sure all running programs are also closed before launching UO. This includes Browsers, other apps that may be running behind the scenes.

Also if you are running windows 7 or 8 you want to make sure that all of your UO programs are running in compatibility mode for Win XP SP3 or SP2 and all are running as administrator. To do this all you have to do is just right click on each Icon on your desktop for those programs (Razor,EasyUO,Steam, Automap, UO) and then click properties. Once it opens click on the Compatibility tab. Make sure run in compatibility mode is checked and select Win XP (either SP3 or SP2) and at the bottom select run as administrator, click OK.

You should be all set!

Please post your responses if this was at all helpful to you.
Jamkul
Guild Master
Ghost Walkers Guild (GW)
JimTheDM
Elder Scribe

Re: How to fix Razor, Virtual Memory error and screen flashes

Post by JimTheDM »

Time for a bump. GM's Please consider making this post sticky in this area.
Jamkul
Guild Master
Ghost Walkers Guild (GW)
scuba
Elder Scribe

Post by scuba »

the above works for most people but even with my virtual memory adjusted to this formula i still have a very hard time getting the game to start with out a fail do to the not enough vitual memory. sometimes it takes several restarts and multiple tris during each to get it to not give me the virtual memory error. i am pretty sure my case is due in some unknown way to the machine i am stuck with but my tech knowedge only goes so far but the main purpose of this post is really base line and here goes;

how on earth with 8gb of actual memory and 32gb of virtual memory does a game such as uo need more memory. sorry but it just seems absurd that a game of this type would need more i mean i run space engineers, supreme commander and civilization 5 with no memory issues. if your not familair with these games i can tell you that supreme commander forged alliance is a very computer intensive game. lol in summary please help i love this game and spending 30 mins trying to start the game makes me sad :displeased:
JimTheDM
Elder Scribe

Post by JimTheDM »

Scuba,

It's not that UO needs that much memory it is that UO needs to start within the first two gigabytes of virtual memory which is what the problem is. On most PCs today you have programs that start up in the background that you don't even see, things such as browsers , updaters, GPS programs, and a whole other list of items that are too long to list here. You could have 64 gigabytes of RAM and still have virtual memory issues. What you want to try to do is control the boot process so that only the necessary programs are starting when the computer starts. Take a look at the area by your clock on the lower right hand corner and you will see what I mean about program starting in the background. You usually have an up pointing arrow that you can see all the programs that are running. There are ways of being able to control the items that start up when the PC starts. This however can be a process that could be a detriment to your PC if you do not know what you are doing. If you would like some information on it send me a PM in game and we can go from there.

Jamkul
Jamkul
Guild Master
Ghost Walkers Guild (GW)
scuba
Elder Scribe

Post by scuba »

ah ok that makes more sense about the first 2 gb i have my startup items in check but i found out that all samsung laptops have an app that autoupdates other samsung apps once i eleminated this its seems to have fixed my issue( when you said background programs i started going through task manager) so thank you thank you :D
Vezzon
Passer by

Post by Vezzon »

Super helpful thread!!
Sir Blood
Elder Scribe

Post by Sir Blood »

Chrome also has an option that you can check that disables background processes while the browser is closed. By default your computer runs background google chrome processes... this can eat up quite a bit of Vram
- - In game name:: Simply Delicious - -
Find my HUGE Rune LIbrary
- Main Floor Housegates
- Bottom SE corner, look for the black and white housegate tile (looks like a QR code you can scan)
Rune displayed @TC -- Far West Wall: Simply's
JimTheDM
Elder Scribe

Post by JimTheDM »

Seeing as people are still struggling with this, time for a bump. Would one of the GMs please consider this for a sticky in this category seeing as so many are having issues with it?
Jamkul
Guild Master
Ghost Walkers Guild (GW)
Pariah
Legendary Scribe

Post by Pariah »

Bump. Request to consider sticky. :)
Devlin
Legendary Scribe

Post by Devlin »

screen flashing happens for a few reasons I believe. compatibility move, using SP3, running as admin, etc. all can fix it, but I think the cause is the display/counters function from razor.

Disable desktop composition, possibly aero theme as well.

Forcing your screen size too large will also cause both flickering issues and sometimes "black areas", spots that don't load on the edge of the screen.

http://forums.uosecondage.com/viewtopic ... 32&t=26030

http://www.runuo.com/community/threads/ ... ng.100937/
Resident Wiki Editor/Village Idiot

EasyUO Scripts
ReArmer
ReArmer (Old Version)
ReReader
Separate Journal for Guild or Public Chat (Old)
---------------------------------------------
Combat Focus Guide (Godmode Formula)
Gaara
Legendary Scribe

Post by Gaara »

So, i just got a new laptop with windows 8 and i'm getting "the server address you entered could not be resolved." error. (client starts but razor doesn't work)

I've tried everything said here, in wiki and in this topic http://www.uoex.net/forum/viewtopic.php ... 8&start=30 but i can't get razor to work. Any ideas?

Also sorry for the bump, thought it would be unnecessary to create a new thread.

EDIT: It magically started working :?:
Joker0003
Novice Scribe

Post by Joker0003 »

Hello,

i had this issue also, i edit my Host file, there you have to write in the IP of the Server.
How it is correctly to write in the file, there are examples in it.
The IP you can find on google.
IG: Maurice-Delan
JimTheDM
Elder Scribe

Post by JimTheDM »

You should not have to edit any files if you follow the directions that I put in my original post.
Jamkul
Guild Master
Ghost Walkers Guild (GW)
Pariah
Legendary Scribe

Post by Pariah »

Gaara wrote:So, i just got a new laptop with windows 8 and i'm getting "the server address you entered could not be resolved." error. (client starts but razor doesn't work)

I've tried everything said here, in wiki and in this topic http://www.uoex.net/forum/viewtopic.php ... 8&start=30 but i can't get razor to work. Any ideas?

Also sorry for the bump, thought it would be unnecessary to create a new thread.

EDIT: It magically started working :?:
I still get this occasionally. If there's a momentary hiccup in my ISP, etc., this will happen. Usually is fine a few mins later...
Lufi
Passer by

Post by Lufi »

Closing skype helps each time i get "out of memory" error. Works so far.