noob question: how to become able to craft really good bows?

Don't know how something works? Here you will find some useful links. And if you have a question, feel free to ask.
Orozimbo
Passer by

noob question: how to become able to craft really good bows?

Post by Orozimbo »

I'm a noob--that's for sure--and must say that I do not understand the shard's skill guide for bowcrafting, whose text is:
Bowcrafting
0-30 Buy Skill from Trainer
30-60 Bow 7 Boards
60-70 Crossbow 7 Boards
70-80 Composite Bow 7 Boards
80-90 Heavy Crossbow 10 Boards
90-100 Repeating crossbow or Yumi 10 Boards
100-120 Yumi 10 Boards
Retrieved from "http://www.uoex.net/wiki/Skill_Guides"
What does it mean? This guide's explanation is not enough for me. I am not saying this guide is unsatisfactory. I'm just saying I don't understand it once I'm as noob as someone who is not familiar to UO could be.

So I was wondering what items I'll need to improve my bowcrafting skill. Also, I gotta know where will I get these items (are they sold by npcs? Do I have to loot a monster to get such items? If so, where are such monster found?)

Also I need to know if it's possible to craft bows with magical attributes, like bows that will make my dext raise wile I equip them... You know... things like that, whose makes it fun to play UO.

I'm tired of using always the same items of low quality and having to kill those npcs from Bushido Dojo for getting money. I want items that will enable me to kill harder stuff. But as a newbie, I really need your help to enjoy this UO world lol

Thanks in anticipation.
Bubba Ho Tep
Grandmaster Scribe

Re: noob question: how to become able to craft really good bows?

Post by Bubba Ho Tep »

Orozimbo,
caminho de capivara tatu caminha lá?

Anyways man, here's the deal: you craft bows with fletchers tools, which should be bought in a bowyer npc. Having the tools and wood, you have to craft stuff to raise your skill. That table you pasted shows what to craft in which skill level, as in: when you get near to 100,00, you gotta do some yumi, which is a kind of bow.

The first 30 points you can train in the bowyer npc: single click it and choose train: bowcraft. Then let the crafting begin, according to the table indications.

And use the chop option, to recycle your wood. You won't get much money selling what you craft, and it's easier to get half the wood than to buy it/chop it over.

Any doubts you might have, pm me that'll answer as soon as I connect.
kurganwins
Journeyman Scribe

Post by kurganwins »

I'm getting ready to work this up, and am gathering boards now, was wondering if anyone has an idea of the total amount of boards needed to at least gm the skill.

Thanks
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Post by Wil »

Here's the bump in the road:

If you want a *really* good bow, crafting is not the answer. Instead, you want to get a halfway decent bow dropped from a monster and then you want to apply a weapon leveling deed to it.

You can use weapon leveling deeds on crafted bows but they gain stats at 3/5ths of the rate of a "looted" weapon.
Yoda
Legendary Scribe

Post by Yoda »

which the crafted bows earn due to their ability to have a base weapon that is able to balance the difference between 3/5 points crafted bows are made sold and leveled all the time. the good ones are just a question of time, dilligence and enough attempts. crafting gear helps in this pursuit
Guildmaster: JDI - Est 2011
lilbear68
Master Scribe

Post by lilbear68 »

add also the thousands for bows that you will make that may come with high numbers that are pointless like dispel and self repair
by pointless meaning that so far dispel does not exist on this shard and that every vendor gives away repair deeds so if you watch your durability its not a problem there either. there are other adds that are debateable and some that work very well but remember the adds are random and you could as easily wind up with a 50 fb 50 dispel and self repair and with that you mostly have a pile of kindling but good luck we always need good bows
si vis pacem parabellum
Opopanax
Legendary Scribe

Post by Opopanax »

I've definitely read that exceptional crafted weapons also deal extra damage vs their looted counterparts. So an exceptionally crafted bow with 35% Damage increase will deal more damage than a 35% damage increase looted bow. I've not tested this though. If this isn't correct, someone please do correct me.
In game name: Abarai
Yoda
Legendary Scribe

Post by Yoda »

or I could verify what you say is 100% fact
lilbear68
Master Scribe

Post by lilbear68 »

the DI 35% is great but also remember that DI caps at 100% and its way easy to max that on gear alone
si vis pacem parabellum
Yoda
Legendary Scribe

Post by Yoda »

right but that was the lesser part of his statement the fact is exceptional crafted weapons do have a damage bonus that isn't capped by di.

The premise of this post is can you craft really good bows and the answer is yes you can in fact they can be comprible to excellent looted ones.. sometimes surperior. It has fallen out of fashion in recent times due to a tendancy for the playerbase to push toward lemming like monolithic gear creation. but it used to be prevalent and common to do so
lilbear68
Master Scribe

Post by lilbear68 »

where is this extra, extra bonus mentioned in wikki I would like to read up on it and it will probably help me make some weapon decisions of my own. every lil bit of info helps
si vis pacem parabellum