Sharpening stone question

Don't know how something works? Here you will find some useful links. And if you have a question, feel free to ask.
Nick
Legendary Scribe
Location: PA native, liveing in NC right now Moveing to TX in march

Sharpening stone question

Post by Nick »

opinions go.... does a Sharpening stone Damage Increase (50%) go over the DI cap the same way the 35% Crafted Exceptional Damage increase goes over the DI cap?

I just bought a sharpening stone and used it on my forever bow and put (50%) DI on it and I think it is doing more DMG on avg but I really can't be sure. I wanted to buy the Sharpening stone for deco in my blacksmith shop anyway so I'm not that bummed about it if the DI on my bow turns out to just be cosmetic but, I searched the Forum and could not find a solid answer on this topic. I have like 800% DI on my suit so usually, the only DI I see is with an exceptionally crafted item. If a GM is able to get a Hard answer based on are shards code all the better. like I said ....opinions go... (ie post so I can read)
Miranda Ventrata
Elder Scribe

Re: Sharpening stone question

Post by Miranda Ventrata »

WIki says cap on ARMOR is 100% dun say nuttin aboot weps in hand.
Melkor
Legendary Scribe

Post by Melkor »

UOStratics lists the cap from jewelry and weapons at 100. Although I know not everything on stratics applies here, I tend to think the cap is 100 here from all gear. If someone did some extensive testing I'd be interested in hearing the results.
TDC Guild
+Arden
Elder Scribe

Post by +Arden »

If the item you are referring to is a sharpening blade then no the additional Damage Increase should not work like the Exceptional property.
Possum12
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Possum12 »

Wiki states that the damage increase from gear is capped at 100%. So whats the point of having like 50% damage increase on every relayer? Is Wiki wrong? Or have I chosen poorly by not maxing out DI on all my relayers?
Tarkin Lamere in-game
Melkor
Legendary Scribe

Post by Melkor »

Possum12 wrote:Wiki states that the damage increase from gear is capped at 100%. So whats the point of having like 50% damage increase on every relayer? Is Wiki wrong? Or have I chosen poorly by not maxing out DI on all my relayers?
The wiki is correct, 100% DI cap. You're good.
TDC Guild
Nick
Legendary Scribe
Location: PA native, liveing in NC right now Moveing to TX in march

Post by Nick »

I have like 800% DI on my gear (IDK the exact number but it is WAY over cap)... I had a bow with 0% DI. I used a sharpening stone to add 50% DI to it. I really think it's doing a bit extra DMG but I can't be sure. I do KNOW that the Exceptional crafted Yumi 35% DI does go over the cap. I've heard a few lines of thought on the issue... (DI cap is only on gear, weapon is sperate, I know this to be, at least partially, false because I can hold a BC and the extra 75% DI does not work) but I really do think my bow is doing some additional DMG rn. my crafted yumi has a DMG max in the Status bar of 92 with my looted Yumi it is 88. I am leaning toward the Sharpening stone DI is purely cosmetic and has no DMG value for someone who has DI on their gear. again, this might be something only +C could answer with any real certainty.
Yoda
Legendary Scribe

Post by Yoda »

as far as I know it is 100% cosmetic, if one of the sharpening stone owners wants to chime in, I know there was a reason a long time ago that my "must have" about the sharpening stone turned to "mediocre deco"
Guildmaster: JDI - Est 2011
Melkor
Legendary Scribe

Post by Melkor »

+A already said it doesn't bring you over cap.

Back when I was a fresh faced newbie I remember a post from +V saying that the DI cap was 100 from gear. Before that people weren't sure and were adding DI on everything. Also at the time either enough BODS weren't in the game yet or people just didn't do them much because all BOD rewards were much more rare and expensive. Even POF was pricey compared to nowadays prices. So a sharpening blade back then was extremely rare item. I have one now just for deco. Fun fact, back around this time oints went for 10k each. Ointing your imps back then was a real challenge. Oints were hard to get your hands on even. Also no [exex
TDC Guild
Yoda
Legendary Scribe

Post by Yoda »

and the weird thing i dude, the economy functioned better then, items turned over and it wasn't so much a huge amount more active players.. man I could make a list.. oints are a mere part of it.

goc 6.5mill (it had already dipped a bit to get here)
batwings 2.5mill, jackal's 3.5mill, ravnos shields were at 1.5mill, powerscroll prices were double and triple and rarely below 1mill even for crafting ones, it was across the board, and the economy was moving..new players getting established etc. And I almost forgot, a bonecrusher cost 50k.

what I find most strange is EDS were roughly the same gold value then as they are now, most of the items ie goc, gauntlet items etc, are the same difficulty to farm.... anyhoo back on topic.. now that Melkor mentioned the idea of a deco sharpening stone, and realizing I have mislaid mine, I may be in the market for one.

it would be cool to take an item like this and allow it to have some measurable impact on a weapon since it is so rare to farm, beyond deco value I can see the potential in having a more functional item.
Miranda Ventrata
Elder Scribe

This is such a swayed subject. I forget now who, but someone said that a staff member told them that it's 100% DI from armor, plus your items in hand(s). I also her players say they've playtested it and saw no difference. I found there to be too many variables to test it. So I just assumed that the 100% armor plus hands is correct.( This can still be the case and STILL not work like exceptional like +A said. (Things can work differently with same results sometimes :P)
Miranda Ventrata
Elder Scribe

If it DID work...would make it very clear why crafted is only 3 points per level. That exceptional tag, PLUS DI. May make it as good or better than a looted. Especially in the case of a player having low SDI. (Again, just thinking here, no solid facts)
Yoda
Legendary Scribe

Post by Yoda »

also thinking aloud, as it stands now with crafting you can with +gear and alot of the real life phenomena of luck craft something on par (in truth slightly lesser in the very best case scnario) with looted, if the "conjectural sharpening stone" did work I assume it would work on both.

regardless the chances of making this looted slaying weapon are very mathematically low, the resources melted to make it would be astronomical, and the gear on the body of the crafter is huge to even make a CHANCE of this alleged super weapon =)

so it sometimes is a mystery why 2 points are shaved off for crafted when making a better weapon than quality looted with crafting is a 0.0000135 percent chance of happening in the first place heh.

its interesting but I don't think a slight legit damage boon from a sharpening stone would be game breaking, especially if it had a time period of effect and uses. As in real life sharp blades get dull.
Melkor
Legendary Scribe

Post by Melkor »

TDC Guild
Miranda Ventrata
Elder Scribe

This is getting pretty off topic. So I am going to start a thread on Crafted vs Looted, so we can continue the conversation we are having here, without derailing the original question.