Noob Question

Don't know how something works? Here you will find some useful links. And if you have a question, feel free to ask.
apocalypse
Elder Scribe

Noob Question

Post by apocalypse »

Here is my question...

When you have a mob of monsters surrounding you, and you are fighting them, how does another player run past and get all the monsters to run after them, even though they are currently attacking you?
I assume its a script or a program sort of thing, but I cannot for the life of me figure it out.

You see it all the time at champ spawns, only certain people seem to be able to do this, just wondering how it works.
I may just be stupid, and its something simple, just would like to know if anyone would shed some light on this.
Jean Luc Picard in game
Melkor
Legendary Scribe

Re: Noob Question

Post by Melkor »

Just a guess but maybe you are using single target weapon and they are using area? Sometimes when I'm at a champ using single target I'll cast volcanic eruption to bring them to me.
TDC Guild
apocalypse
Elder Scribe

Post by apocalypse »

I'm pretty sure its not just an area effect.

Example, ill be in a mob using a whirlwind weapon, and some players will run by and all the targets I'm fighting with automatically change their attention to the new player and leave, even though I am currently damaging them.

It is only when they get close enough, probably within 8 tiles or so, that the monsters change their target.
Jean Luc Picard in game
Gaara
Legendary Scribe

Post by Gaara »

apocalypse wrote:I'm pretty sure its not just an area effect.

Example, ill be in a mob using a whirlwind weapon, and some players will run by and all the targets I'm fighting with automatically change their attention to the new player and leave, even though I am currently damaging them.

It is only when they get close enough, probably within 8 tiles or so, that the monsters change their target.
Interesting as usually the monsters do not switch targets if a player has already targeted/is attacking them. It could be an auto targeting script/macro, though, my macro/hotkey for example has to be toggled to target a monster and it has never "stealed" a monster from another player...
apocalypse
Elder Scribe

Post by apocalypse »

Yeah its very odd, and only happens around specific players. I just want to figure out how to use it myself or if there is a counter to it, as its annoying.

I could see maybe a script that somehow double click attacks anything within range to draw its attention.
I'll try and figure out how to take a video of UO, and the next time it happens ill try and catch it.
Jean Luc Picard in game
Tattersail
Master Scribe

Post by Tattersail »

Whirlwind doesn't hit anywhere near as many mobs as a weapon with an area effect does...I'm sure if you test it with them, you'll see that that's what actually happens... :nod:
Gaara
Legendary Scribe

Post by Gaara »

Tattersail wrote:Whirlwind doesn't hit anywhere near as many mobs as a weapon with an area effect does...I'm sure if you test it with them, you'll see that that's what actually happens... :nod:
I could do some testing if i have the time and find another player to help me with it :P