A few of my favorite things...

Grab a cup of coffe and attend to the more simple things in life.
Pariah
Legendary Scribe

A few of my favorite things...

Post by Pariah »

I thought it'd be fun to post some of our favorite things outside the game world. This is how I currently spend many of these Summer days.

I'm also originally from Alabama, moved to Arizona when I was 10, and now 24 years later, I've been in Cincinnati for 2 years this month. This is a picture of iconic Samford Hall at Auburn University as well as one of my boys who have inherited my fanaticism and affinity for hair care products...

So before I spam this board with more, what are some of your favorite things?
Eos
Master Scribe

Re: A few of my favorite things...

Post by Eos »

I'm also a fan of that kind of architecture, Pariah. Is there an official name for it? I see it most often in Universities. There are some at Vanderbilt here in Nashville, but my favorite is the library of my own alma mater at University of Oklahoma.

It doesn't look like it from the front, but it has wings, floors and basements. The basements beneath this wing have *extremely* old books and nothing but, and are roped off. It felt something like walking around the library of Hogwarts sneaking around in there! Dusty! Crinkly! Eerily quiet! I even hid there during an F-5 (May 3 1999) tornado outbreak my first semester. My favorite all-time haunt, still awaiting its successor. Thanks for the memory, Pariah.

I wasn't sure what constituted a favorite thing. At first, I started listing off virtues: Compassion, Grace, Mercy... *facepalm* I thought about tools I use that I would have married; sentimental artifacts to be with-buried; and toys that make me, ugh, cherried. And then *knock knock* It's the postman!!! THEY'RE HERE!!! I have been out for 3 days!

MY FAVORITE THINGS!!!

It's the BEST part of the day! When just enough experience of their absence has refreshed my perspective, and my nostrils once again take in that DiViNe smell. Fresh dates. Dates dates dates dates. 10 pounds of them! Straight Coachella, CA, or do I mean, PaRaDiSe?!, courtesy of e-bay. I get 2 boxes a month.

A happy Eos with Eos food!

I spent a long time searching for these. You can't find them in a grocery store, those are too dry and overpriced. Dried out isn't the same, and de-pitted have been heat-treated. These come straight off the plant. When they arrive, if very ripe, will be super squishy like a warm caramel candy, and melt in the mouth like a perfect doughnut hole. When I say favorite things are dates, I very specifically mean THESE dates from THIS particular farm xD

I eat these two ways. One, if sufficiently squishy, is straight up. You just press it open with your fingers and the seed just drops out. The entire thing, skin and all, is good to go. The white is like cotton candy, strands of pure fruit sugar, and the brown is gooey. If they're a bit on the dry side, I soak them overnight in water, then blend them with my drink of choice - more water or 100% fruit juice. For a very ripe fruit, they are also, oddly, extremely shelf-stable. No refrigeration required, they'll just sit in the box ripe and waiting for weeks without any signs of age or mold.

If you have never had a date or even really knew what it was, then I hope I have successfully sold you on trying some the next chance you get! Just 2 more converts, and then I'll get my wings and my wand! Err...

Hope you enjoyed this week's novel :) I'll be back next morning rain-out!
Pariah
Legendary Scribe

Post by Pariah »

Eos wrote:I'm also a fan of that kind of architecture, Pariah. Is there an official name for it? I see it most often in Universities.
Italianate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italianate_architecture
Kara
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Kara »

HUH. Honestly I thought this thread would be about whiskers on kittens or blue satin sashes.
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Kara wrote:HUH. Honestly I thought this thread would be about whiskers on kittens or blue satin sashes.
:lool:
Pariah
Legendary Scribe

Post by Pariah »

I'm very much enjoying the graphic novel series Saga as well. The next collected volume is out in September. You must read it, but fair warning that it's for mature audiences...

Tacityl
Master Scribe

Post by Tacityl »

Eos wrote: Image
Dates are also some of my Favorite Things (tm). Here in Cali wine country, you can get all sorts of fresh produce year round, and that includes organic dates.

In addition to plain dates, I love to make homemade banana-date ice cream. I make it without any dairy: just frozen bananas, dates, and honey to taste in a food processor. It's also good with a little cardamom and/or cinnamon.
"I am made from the dust of the stars, and the oceans flow in my veins ..." ~Sir Neil
Xcrjndi
Elder Scribe

Post by Xcrjndi »

One of my favorite things is making music!

http://www.soundcloud.com/omnisix

Out of it for awhile but you can find me here. :D
RARE BLOOD // Tezztoy in-game.
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

I've never had a fresh date before, but I've always enjoyed the dried ones. I'll have to try some fresh!

I've been too busy to put together a nice photo of my favorite things but I'll list them:
My kindle (and all the books it contains or could contain), my iPhone (I could run a small country with that thing), Music of all kinds, my dad's bagpipes which I inherited when he passed away, river otters, and my Nikon DSLR that +V gave me for my birthday a few years back. I really love being able to capture our everyday lives and our various adventures in lovely high-res photos. Also, our cats Maximus and Biscuit. Texas. Traveling. Baking. Laughter. Genuine happiness. Oh, and glorious desserts (IE: Ginger key-lime creme brulee. Tiramisu. Chocolate mousse, etc).
Karianne
Novice Scribe

Post by Karianne »

Hmmm a few of my fave things, well one is laying or sleeping in my tent in the backyard in the rain. Don't like it when the cougars and bears sniff around tho, then I high tail it into the house lol. Berries of all kinds, my apple pie, my jams, my garden. Knitting, sewing and quilting are a good pass time. The occasional good book. Surfing youtube for neat videos. Volunteering with animal rescue agencies. Old movies, music and ofc UO hehe. Can't forget fishing, love it, hoping for some nice salmon this fall...=). Camping is to die for, unfortunately the fire ban just took affect today so it will be early fall before we go again. Just to mention a few lol.
Pariah
Legendary Scribe

Post by Pariah »

Xcrjndi wrote:One of my favorite things is making music!

http://www.soundcloud.com/omnisix

Out of it for awhile but you can find me here. :D
I checked some of your music out. I bookmarked it for more listening later. Awesome!

Also, love my Brooks running shoes! Got them on clearance at 6pm.com. They are super lightweight, flexible but sturdy, and they make me feel fast. Another thing I love, is getting things on clearance...

Pariah
Legendary Scribe

Post by Pariah »

+Nyx wrote:I've never had a fresh date before, but I've always enjoyed the dried ones. I'll have to try some fresh!

I've been too busy to put together a nice photo of my favorite things but I'll list them:
My kindle (and all the books it contains or could contain), my iPhone (I could run a small country with that thing), Music of all kinds, my dad's bagpipes which I inherited when he passed away, river otters, and my Nikon DSLR that +V gave me for my birthday a few years back. I really love being able to capture our everyday lives and our various adventures in lovely high-res photos. Also, our cats Maximus and Biscuit. Texas. Traveling. Baking. Laughter. Genuine happiness. Oh, and glorious desserts (IE: Ginger key-lime creme brulee. Tiramisu. Chocolate mousse, etc).
Glorious desserts, have you tried Turkey Hill Double Dunker Ice Cream? It's my favorite, Mocha ice cream, with a chocolate oreo type swirl and cookie dough chunks...
Fiernocht
Legendary Scribe

Post by Fiernocht »

as far a s desserts go, I love some Braum's Dulce de leche cheesecake ice cream. sooo goood
“No tree, it is said, can grow to heaven unless its roots reach down to hell.”
― C.G. Jung
JohnandLynne
Passer by

Post by JohnandLynne »

Hi, from Perth Australia and my best time pas thing is designing and home decor things. And this Christmas I am trying to decor my bedroom with red all like bedding, quilt covers and rugs etc.
GreenBar
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by GreenBar »

What is this "outside the game world" thing you speak of. Sounds like some sort of new fangled after life or something.