RIP: Sir-Tech, Interplay, MicroProse, Sierra

Grab a cup of coffe and attend to the more simple things in life.
NME
Elder Scribe

RIP: Sir-Tech, Interplay, MicroProse, Sierra

Post by NME »

"They continued making hard turn-based games when everyone else moved to fun action games where something awesome happens when you press a button." :(

I just wanted to emphasize the word HARD......I miss the golden age....

*EDIT*
I take the hard part back a bit, because as mentioned below, there always seem to be game winning strategies in different forms, making these games relatively easy once figured out. For example JA is hard at the beginning but later in the game you can literally just send Skully pretty much into any room and take out everyone.

THUS this will be a place to enshrine old games that we loved. :D
Last edited by NME on Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:49 pm, edited 5 times in total.
NME
Elder Scribe

Re: RIP: Sir-Tech, Interplay, MicroProse, Sierra

Post by NME »

Luckily sid Meier is a boss and revived this one properly.

Last edited by NME on Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
+Veritas
Administrator

Re: RIP: Sir-Tech, Interplay, MicroProse, Sierra Online

Post by +Veritas »

Couldn't agree more. I played MoM a few times through about two months ago. DOS Box is a godsend.

+V
-{Excelsior Shard Administrator, and Death Event Extraordinaire}-

May the BODs be ever in your favor!
Shafty
Novice Scribe

Post by Shafty »

Ah, X-Com. The primary reason I got to take Organic Chemistry *twice* in college.
Locke
Elder Scribe

Post by Locke »

x-com , one of my favorite :verymad:
Everything started with nothing...
NME
Elder Scribe

Post by NME »

DUDE MoM!!! Thank you for reminding me! Creating this post has already paid off, at least for me :D

Last edited by NME on Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
+Veritas
Administrator

Post by +Veritas »

[quote="NME"]DUDE MoM!!! Thank you for reminding me! Creating this post has already paid off, at least for me :D

The game had its serious bugs, but overall well ahead of it's time.

High Men + Warlord Perk = Game that is winnable without casting a single spell. Kinda lame though, really.

Fought a hard wizard once that attacked me constantly with a barrage of nightmares and wyvern riders. It was nuts.

+V

Unbeliever
Legendary Scribe

Post by Unbeliever »

This is a thread near and dear to my heart.. <3 I'm definitely making time to play some emulators of vintage games now! Never done it before, only been a console collector, but I have to face the fact that I'll probably never own an Apple II again lol. I'd love to see more recommendations.

First computer game I ever played: Hack 1.0, super early Rogue-like game. Dungeons, monsters, players, and items all displayed with letters and keyboard symbols. Hysterical to think back on it now.

Followed by Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Infocom Adventure - text only game. Awesome. I just looked it up and you can play it online or download it for free. :) http://www.douglasadams.com/creations/infocomjava.html

Then Ultima IV (the only Ultima besides UO I've ever played), which sparked the love affair that eventually brought me here, followed by Shadowkeep, the first game I played with honest-to-god graphics (the whole thing is a dungeon crawl), on my school's first Apple II computers in seventh grade. Pictures: http://www.mocagh.org/loadpage.php?getgame=shadowkeep

Hahaha - I had bought myself a copy of Shadowkeep out of nostalgia after high school and I sold it off on Ebay a few years ago. When I went searching for pictures of the game I came across this site: http://www.armchairarcade.com/neo/node/4124 - which actually referenced my auction... and I never knew about that until just now, lol.
in-game Thomas Covenant
NME
Elder Scribe

Post by NME »

My first attempt at MoM after so many years was indeed laughable I mismanaged my resources and pretty much kept a healthy gold deficit. :lol: Regardless it has been an incredible journey into the past. A friend asked me, "why don't you just re-install age of wonders", and it was an easy task convincing him, "it's just not the same". Thanks again +V!

Tough open world adventure 3 part series. If you want a system separate from "Wizards of the Coast" rules this will satisfy.
#2 and my favorite of the 3
NME
Elder Scribe

Post by NME »

Not an obscure title, but great nonetheless. Bullfrog was also one of my favorite developers. Electronic Arts on the other hand has its own special place within Dante's Inferno.

scuba
Elder Scribe

Post by scuba »

my favorite old game was Total Annihilation. created by Chris Talyor (he still makes awesome games). and released by cavedog entertainment, Its a real time stratedy way before its time from the basic retail version of the game to the thousands of mods and player made maps i still play this game and since is abandon ware i am will to share my version ( its the game plus all the maps and units i could find and a unit/map/mod/multiplayer networker/no-cd patch/increased unit patch) so let me know if you would like to play it
Attachments
Total_Annihilation_Coverart.png
Total_Annihilation_Coverart.png (156.36 KiB) Viewed 8387 times
Annachie
Elysium Beta Tester

Post by Annachie »

First all nighters I ever pulled was while playing Wizardry, on an apple 2C I think it was.
Even found a version for the iphone at one stage iirc.
Character name: Ebony
NME
Elder Scribe

Post by NME »

Hey +V I finally beat game with the God of Rain, who according to myth could make it rain from the ground up! B.A.!

As far games go, can't believe I forgot about this one.

Also in case anyone was even thinking about considering it, DONT, there is no reason to play D3 anymore. Learned how to dupe in seconds, I hit the 2 billion dps mark ages ago when I started have since quit for good, went back in recently to see where it has gone and now people are rocking Trillions. Pretty dumb. I have 1000% dmg reduction from elites, aka can't die. If you do, don't accept items from strangers it can break your game (crash every time you char loads) STAY SAFE!
Last edited by NME on Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Locke
Elder Scribe

Post by Locke »

some i liked too :D
phantasmagoria.jpg
phantasmagoria.jpg (116.24 KiB) Viewed 8152 times
Dune-Game-1-PC.jpg
Dune-Game-1-PC.jpg (60.62 KiB) Viewed 8287 times
46330-QuestForGlory4ShadowsofDarkness.jpg
46330-QuestForGlory4ShadowsofDarkness.jpg (22.58 KiB) Viewed 8180 times
Everything started with nothing...
+Veritas
Administrator

Post by +Veritas »

Wasn't that Phantasmagoria game the one with all the H.R. Giger art in it?