Miranda's Proposed MTG Thread

Grab a cup of coffe and attend to the more simple things in life.
AcidBern
Elder Scribe

Miranda's Proposed MTG Thread

Post by AcidBern »

Hey!! I play MTG. Well I did quite a while ago. I still have a ton of cards and some pretty powerful decks. I taught my son to play as well. He gets tired before the end and i usually kill him, but its a very well thought out game. As for recently, they have introduced soo many new game mechanics it is hard to keep up with them. And some of these new mechanics have made a few of my decks almost useless. But it is still fun to play. Especially when you can find old school players that still have old decks!!
Sethra Lavode
Grandmaster Scribe

Re: Miranda's Proposed MTG Thread

Post by Sethra Lavode »

I played many, many years ago. When Angus was 3 we moved out of the house we were in and all of my notebooks were stolen: I lost the taste for playing then, heh To give you an idea, I had 2 Beta Edition Serra Angels :cry: I taught my nephews how to play so not too long ago I borrowed some of his cards and taught Angus - he loves the game!
Starfish & coffee, maple syrup & jam. Butterscotch clouds & a tangerine, side order of ham.
Annachie
Elysium Beta Tester

Post by Annachie »

I used to play years ago.

Kind of started again recently since oldest step son now has a gaming shop that runs mtg tournies, and he decided to give the younger kids a starter deck each :)
Character name: Ebony
Aster
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Aster »

I started playing in 1998 (Urza's Saga Block) , officially stopped in 2008 but the introduction of the Commander format has rekindled the love :roll:
This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time.
Isaac Newton
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Isaac Newton »

I remember when the kids at Chattacon were taking hall space everywhere playing this weird new card game. Started playing between Antiquities and Legends. I went to Florida to visit a friend. They still had Antiquities down there, and I got a full set from the box I purchased. I didn't collect a lot past Legends. Fallen Empires had a lot to do with that. I think those things are cheaper now than when they came out. I finally sold most of my stuff at DragonCon 98. Full set of Legends, Antiquities, unlimited moxes, and a bit more. It was just too much of a pain to carry it all around when I wasn't playing.
There were things I couldn't part with. Any Antiquities outside of my full set. Especially the lands. I still have several full season sets of Mishra's Factory, and lots of the other land groups. I always liked the Foglios from the old Dragons. The Antiquities lands are probably still my favorite.
I started playing again at Mirrodin time. Several friends came back to town, and MTG is a great social game. We would play 2v2 teams, or 5 colors. We collected some stuff for a few blocks, but we mainly stuck to older cards. We stopped about 8 years ago when we didn't have as much spare time.
The top shelf above me has four little hydraulic parts boxes holding six decks each. I would buy cool artwork sleeves and then build a deck to fit them. It's all theme decks. Tribal decks like elves, goblins, zombies, and such. Some style themes like land kill, or a deck deck. And one legends deck where almost every creature and land is legendary.
My coolstuff pathfinder order that arrived today had 9 cards. 4 of a g/b/w triple land from some recent set, and 5 cards that would fit into my saproling deck. About 3 or 4 weeks ago, I decided to make a small order of nothing but nonbasic lands from their buy 1 get 3 free deals.
The saproling deck is built around Life and Limb. Forests and saprolings are all saprolings and forests. Throw in some doubling seasons and just go nuts. Make tokens, give counters, and just pile it on.
A few weeks ago while working on a coolstuff order, I just started browsing some of the old cards. Ended up on the Legends set and noticed that some of those prices have gone insane. The Tabernacle tops $1k now. (That is one card that was never getting near my saprolings.) A few others are in the hundreds. I'll probably sell a half dozen or so of the top cards to get an extra 2k in Dragoncon money.
Isaac Newton

What sad times are these when passing ruffians can say ‘Ni’ at will to old ladies.
Deorum
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Deorum »

I started playing with MTG back in '94 or so when Revised Edition was out. Played like crazy for a handful of years, but once they started pumping out expansions a couple of times a year I lost interest. I think it was around Mirage or so. I picked up a handful of packs a couple of years ago just to see how much it had changed and wasn't impressed. New card art looked cheesy and overly digital, thousands of new rules, abilities, etc. To me, Revised edition alone was MTG and that's where my loyalties still lay, haha. I even have a full set of Revised in a binder I'm still holding on to for a rainy day though I need to find the dual land cards still.

edited: removed drug reference.

+R
cameronmajere
Master Scribe

Post by cameronmajere »

I started playing MTG when it first came out. Wizards of the coast is based in my state it hit the Seattle gaming scene and exploded. I stopped playing in high school but a few years back I rekindled the old flame. A lot of the newer stuff is op IMO but I made what I call a life leech deck with a lot of the uhh forget name its from gatecrash expansion orthos? Debt to the debtless with man's flare and ways to create creatures and sac them to make infinite mana. I played a 8 player game at end I had over 2k life and everyone was dead. Was fun
Sorin
Novice Scribe

Post by Sorin »

My characters name actually comes from MTG. I have been playing for about 3 years now. Got heavily into it after Return to Ravnica block. I used to attend more drafts and FNM nights in my city but mostly play casual now. I have a few well constructed 60 card decks and 2 main EDH decks.

My main EDH Commander:

-Sorin, Legendary Warrior