"The Girl Gamer: On the other side"

Grab a cup of coffe and attend to the more simple things in life.
mattwaldram
Elder Scribe

"The Girl Gamer: On the other side"

Post by mattwaldram »

So, this is quite an old post - and you may very well have seen it before - but I just read it yesterday and thought it was quite interesting. It's about a guy playing a UO Freeshard as a girl character, but actually full-on pretending to be a girl in RL. The point seems to have been to establish the extent to which girl gamers are treated differently to male players in games like UO.

Now, I think (and do bear in mind that I'm seeing this through a blinkered male's eyes) that Excelsior seems a lot more girl-friendly/family-friendly than the shard in question, here - but would still be interested to see what the guys and girls on UOEX think about this.

Anyway, if nothing else, it's just quite an interesting (long) read:

http://alttabme.com/forum/threads/the-g ... side.3906/
-- In-game: Oslington Weasel
Maze Scarlethart
Master Scribe

Re: "The Girl Gamer: On the other side"

Post by Maze Scarlethart »

Wow that is a long post, I mostly skimmed it to be honest with you but the conversations this person had with other players was pretty accurate in my experience. My experience with online gaming is pretty limited though so it would be interesting to see what the other ladies have to say as well. I have only played here, World of Warcraft and a small pvp UO server.

- The PVP server was male dominated by far, I think we only had 4 or 5 girls who played on a regular basis. I and I know the other girls on the server have had many requests for nude pictures. One such request even came from a Game Master. I do not know if providing the pictures would have gained us any free stuff but I do know that declining the requests gained us alot of torment. I eventually ended up deleting all of my characters, making new characters and stopped talking to anyone ingame again and they never bothered with the new characters.

- On World of Warcraft the general feeling among alot of players is that girl gamers do not exist, at least that is what Ive noticed from trade chat discussions. I found that even those who believe that you are female don't really care that much but then I've never made any effort to get anything out of someone because of my gender. Although, I do find that among guild members I am refered to as "Lypid's Wife" or whatever my husbands characters name is in that guild at the time. That kind of bothers me to be honest, its like I am nothing other than someones wife...

On a side note for WoW, my husband made a female character and played the "girl gamer" thing just to see what would happen and he managed to weasel quite a bit out of players.

- Excelsior... yeah there are soooo many girls here that if anyone said or did anything to a girl gamer the other girls would make their life a nightmare. Aaannnd Im pretty sure +N would be leading a pitchfork wielding mob of ladies :P
Zalia
Elder Scribe

Post by Zalia »

I had a couple of minor issues on other shards, buy haven't had any problems on Excelsior. Looking back, it is easy to see that I have stayed on the server for 5 years because there is no sexist crap to deal with on a daily basis.
Nice work +Coli and staff!
mattwaldram
Elder Scribe

Post by mattwaldram »

Maze Scarlethart wrote:... I do not know if providing the pictures would have gained us any free stuff but I do know that declining the requests gained us alot of torment. I eventually ended up deleting all of my characters, making new characters and stopped talking to anyone ingame again and they never bothered with the new characters.
It's horrific that anyone has to deal with that. You play games to relax, enjoy yourself, and forget about the abundance of real world crap out there, not to deal with this weird sort of quid pro quo sexual harassment. Honestly, I don't know how you guys deal with this nonsense.
Maze Scarlethart wrote:Excelsior... yeah there are soooo many girls here that if anyone said or did anything to a girl gamer the other girls would make their life a nightmare. Aaannnd Im pretty sure +N would be leading a pitchfork wielding mob of ladies :P
Well, I'm at least pleased to hear that Excelsior is somewhat different. That is the impression I get, but - like I say - it's easy for me to miss everyday sexism because it's very rare (read: Almost Never) that I'm the one being disadvantaged by it. I'll echo Zalia in saying nice work, +Coli, +Nyx, +Veritas, +Req, +Mocha et al
-- In-game: Oslington Weasel
Gaara
Legendary Scribe

Post by Gaara »

After reading the thread, i must say we have an awesome community here. Rock on Excelsior! :woot:
Golden Temptress
Elysium Beta Tester

Post by Golden Temptress »

Excelsior rocks :dance a fair balanced game, same a zalia others shards have been funny, when I said I was a girl they didn't believe me
jimmy
Adept Scribe

Post by jimmy »

I think the world should take a leaf from Excelsior (governments include)
Acacia
Elder Scribe

Post by Acacia »

i used a girl persona for like 2 years here just for shiggles but i got bored with that
Agony
Legendary Scribe

Post by Agony »

Great article. I like to watch guys who do a lot of bank sitting sit with a female. Their personalities switch like Dr Jeckle and Mr Hyde.. While usually cool and collected, very social and cool to talk to, the female shows and their demeanor suddenly becomes macho, defensive and guarded. It's hilarious to watch. Not just in game, but everywhere.
It doesn't happen on Excelsior often, but I've always found it funny to see guys trying to play girls in order to get stuff. More often it's someone just starting out. I like to string them along then give them nothing but advice. Their reaction to it gives them away every time.
...Dimiir Borgu
apocalypse
Elder Scribe

Post by apocalypse »

Interesting article for sure.

This reminds me of the whole Ashley Madison website scandal, where it was actually just mostly guys that had accounts.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the ... a-suggest/
Jean Luc Picard in game
Entora
Master Scribe

Post by Entora »

Wow I didn't realise we could have bf/gf in game !

:lool: just kidding