What's in a name.....

Grab a cup of coffe and attend to the more simple things in life.
Slymenstrah
Apprentice Scribe

Re: What's in a name.....

Post by Slymenstrah »

Slymenstrah ( think I added an h to the end...) = GWAR
Not sure what else to say about it :)
andl2ea
Journeyman Scribe

Post by andl2ea »

-Devlynn-

This was a secondary choice for me. My go to username for games has been Harley Quinn or Harley but since the name has blown up over the years I havent been able to use it for a while. Devlynn is from the word devil and the name Lynn. I wanted something evil yet feminine since I am a natural ginger the name just came to me naturally.
Your friendly ginger aka Devlynn/Bloomingdales
Silent
Legendary Scribe

Post by Silent »

Blood Raven

First boss of Diablo II, was a rogue captain who went evil and had necromancy powers, quite cool (not so hard) but liked it a lot, since this is an archery server I adapted hahahaha
Lurking the forums since dec 2012
Cygnus
Legendary Scribe

Post by Cygnus »

Excellent thread Glyph!
Cygnus = Latin referring to Swan. However, not why I chose the name.
Cygnus = a prominent northern constellation (the Swan), said to represent a flying swan that was the form adopted by Zeus on one occasion. It contains the bright star Deneb. Close, but not quite.

My favorite group is Rush (Progressive Metal band from Canada). They have two songs referring to a space traveler who went through the black hole Cygnus X-1 and came out the other side into Mount Olympus as a spirit entity watching the Gods of Love (Dionysus) and Reason (Apollo) battling out for the hearts and mind of mankind. He stops the war and due to his involvement, becomes a god himself.

Cygnus =
They sat a while in silence
Then they turned at last to me
'We will call you Cygnus
The god of Balance you shall be'

When I started a new shard many moons ago, I was looking for a name that was different. I was really into the album Hemispheres with the song Cygnus X-1 Book 2 and felt the name Cygnus would fit, plus pay my tribute to my favorite band.

P.S. If you haven't heard of Rush you should look them up. If you have heard of them and not listened to them...shame on you!
Melkor
Legendary Scribe

Post by Melkor »

andl2ea wrote:-Devlynn-

This was a secondary choice for me. My go to username for games has been Harley Quinn or Harley but since the name has blown up over the years I havent been able to use it for a while. Devlynn is from the word devil and the name Lynn. I wanted something evil yet feminine since I am a natural ginger the name just came to me naturally.

That's interesting, I always thought you were Devlin's wife or girlfriend because your name's are so similar, like you took his name an made a female version of it.

Devlin--> Devlynn
TDC Guild
andl2ea
Journeyman Scribe

Post by andl2ea »

Melkor wrote:
andl2ea wrote:-Devlynn-

That's interesting, I always thought you were Devlin's wife or girlfriend because your name's are so similar, like you took his name an made a female version of it.

Devlin--> Devlynn
No I had no idea about Devlin until I saw him in tc one day lol. That would be a cute idea for a couple though. I was going to change my name after I saw he had a version of it already but I really cant think of a better name right now :P Guess Devlynn is the chosen one :twisted:
Your friendly ginger aka Devlynn/Bloomingdales
DonShinchan
Passer by

Post by DonShinchan »

That pic is the origin of my nickname, been spending a few hours trying to track it back but was somewhere in a dark corner of my facebook LOL.

I found it on Google over 10 years ago and the first thing that came to my mind was Shinchan the Mafia Boss, well we all know that the Don is the mafia boss so it became just DonShinchan.

Who doesn't like that anime? :P
Yoda
Legendary Scribe

Post by Yoda »

Yoda is the name I have used on every uo server since I have started playing, but its actually a real life nickname. When I was a kid it was a bit of a struggle for grammar to come out of my mouth properly, it often was backwards as a lovely side effect of ASD, children are wonderfully cruel, except jokes on them. I love star wars.
Guildmaster: JDI - Est 2011
culichi
Legendary Scribe

Post by culichi »

culichi is just a nickname for people born in Culiacan , Sinaloa mexico. culichi was also the very first name i ever used in uo back in 2000.
Johnny Warren
Legendary Scribe

Post by Johnny Warren »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Warren

I'm Aussie. Like football. This was a night to remember:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAZqCJHuuus

At 35s into the video one of the Aussie comentators yells out "Johnny Warren!" (Hence why I used to yell it out for all you vets who remember my random [c shenanigans).

John Warren died shortly before Australia's second world cup finals appearance.

-JW
JOHNNY WARREN!
Gaara
Legendary Scribe

Post by Gaara »

qbf wrote:Hence why I used to yell it out for all you vets who remember my random [c shenanigans
JOHNNY WARREN! :woot:
Rhiemath
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Rhiemath »

Rhiemath is an abbreviated version of the name of one of my old Dungeons and Dragons characters. I believe one I played in the late 90's back when we played every Sunday for eight to twelve hours. Rhiemath Tal Raagil was a Wizard/Priest of the God of magic, and I intended on this Rhiemath to be a mage. Quickly learned the pointlessness of that endeavor here though. :P
erised_faylen
Master Scribe

Post by erised_faylen »

this is a really good thread idea glyph :D ive recognized some of yours, batousi in particular was one that popped out to me right away as i'm a ruroni kenshin fan :D makes me wish i had some sort exciting meaning behind mine.. i just used an elven name generator, i always put so much thought into my character names and then ended up hating and wishing i could change them... :lool: though when i joined i didnt know you could do name changes on here which is an awesome feature
apocalypse
Elder Scribe

Post by apocalypse »

Apocalypse

I've always been fascinated with Apocalypse from the X-Men comic series, since I was young. He was a super powerful immortal god like character, that was a serious threat to all mutants and humans alike. Both the good and bad side of the mutants had to team up to defeat him, or they would all be in big trouble. There is a lot of depth to his origins starting in Egypt thousands of years ago.

Here is a read up on his character,
http://marvel.com/universe/Apocalypse_(En_Sabah_Nur)

I guess I like the idea of being all powerful like him :nod:
So far I am not there yet in Excelsior, working on it though. Maybe that title would be better suited to Alejandro :verymad:
Jean Luc Picard in game
ophillanton
Passer by

Post by ophillanton »

Well Golden Temptress served no purpose other than I picked a silly name when I joined another shard 2 years before joining here and kept the name when I came over to this shard,

however last month I came to a milestone when I reached 8 years of wonderful excelsior fun :)

so I decided to celebrate by choosing a more serious name Chrysanthe which means Golden Flower in ancient greek - 2 things I like the colour yellow and flowers so win win :nod: