Doctor Who Quest

Keep track of this topic. All announcements and short-term rules will be written here.
Pariah
Legendary Scribe

Re: Doctor Who Quest

Post by Pariah »

Understood +Nyx. However, on the second level, this is a problem. There are 3 angels within maybe 7 tiles of one another at the exit currently with one inside the safe zone. I ran past all three until I was standing directly on top of River. Somehow I triggered to blink AND the move to the next level for the quest at the same time (there also appears to be a weird ledge in the safety area that blocks your path, but it's invisible). Anyway, as a result I briefly was moved to the blink room and within a second transported to the third dungeon. However, I am at the third dungeon entrance at the top of the stairs, but unable to move. I'm all for tricksy and strategery, this one just appears to be buggy.

EDIT: And the physically stuck option is disabled, meaning I'm at the mercy of when staff is on to move me. I used the harassment option to expedite the process.

EDIT 2: Happened again between Level 3 and 4. I honestly was at least 20 tiles away from the nearest angel this time when blinked so something was up on this one. That's two stuck within the same quest run. Currently awaiting staff. Tried to recall out, still frozen, tried to use stuck help request after recalling out, still frozen. Can we have some way to unstick ourselves if this happens?
Alex
Legendary Scribe

Post by Alex »

Pariah, I was having that same issue, but after Nyx's post (below) I now understand how the angels work and don't get sent to the blinking room anymore. I think the mechanics described below are pretty clear, maybe you can make a video of it occurring since it seems like a very isolated case. Try going slower and not zooming through all of them and stick to the walls 3+tiles away if possible.
+Nyx wrote:They trigger the warning message when you come into range, and then you have 3 seconds to move out of their range or the second portion of their code will be triggered, which moves you to the angel room. Their range is only about 3 tiles. It is possible, however, to successfully avoid one angel and then trigger a second angel within a few seconds after, if you run into their range. Essentially, the first message activates the angel and then your character receives a temporary 'tag' that says you're eligible to be moved by an angel. Then, if an angel detects a player with that tag on them, the code to move the player is activated. It can't just happen at the same time as the 'Don't blink' message, as you've not yet received the tag by then; unless you have triggered an angel in the last few seconds already.
Pariah
Legendary Scribe

Post by Pariah »

Alex wrote:Pariah, I was having that same issue, but after Nyx's post (below) I now understand how the angels work and don't get sent to the blinking room anymore. I think the mechanics described below are pretty clear, maybe you can make a video of it occurring since it seems like a very isolated case. Try going slower and not zooming through all of them and stick to the walls 3+tiles away if possible.
I will try this once a staff member unsticks me. Unfortunately, I think the quest will time out before that happens. It's been about 5-6 hours with the page in the queue.
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Modifications:
- Quest NPCs can no longer trigger if you are under a Weeping Angel's "spell".
- Reduced the amount of time the temporary angel-triggering tag stays on the player
- Added spawners to the dungeon levels' "landing areas" that check if a player is frozen/unable to walk and repairs it if so (allow 15-20 seconds for it to work if this happens to you).
- More blockers to prevent spawn in unreachable locations
- Miscellaneous streamlining for angels
- Fixed the "weird invisible ledge" on level 2 in the safe area as reported by Pariah
- Scooted the res-station items further south in the level 2 safe area to assist in sneaking by the Angels.

V and I will be home from vacation on Wednesday, so things should be back to normal for me at that point and I'll be able to assist promptly with any further issues.
Pariah
Legendary Scribe

Post by Pariah »

+Nyx wrote:Modifications:
- Quest NPCs can no longer trigger if you are under a Weeping Angel's "spell".
- Reduced the amount of time the temporary angel-triggering tag stays on the player
- Added spawners to the dungeon levels' "landing areas" that check if a player is frozen/unable to walk and repairs it if so (allow 15-20 seconds for it to work if this happens to you).
- More blockers to prevent spawn in unreachable locations
- Miscellaneous streamlining for angels
- Fixed the "weird invisible ledge" on level 2 in the safe area as reported by Pariah
- Scooted the res-station items further south in the level 2 safe area to assist in sneaking by the Angels.

V and I will be home from vacation on Wednesday, so things should be back to normal for me at that point and I'll be able to assist promptly with any further issues.
This is awesome. Thanks very much! Thanks to +Req as well for unsticking me twice yesterday. I really do enjoy this quest and appreciate all of the hard work. Thinking about starting the "Weird Invisible Ledge" (WIL) guild...

Oh, and I ran the quest again last night without issue this time. I blinked once, but it was definitely my own fault.
Agony
Legendary Scribe

Post by Agony »

Nyx is awesome.. simply put :)
Sethra Lavode
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Sethra Lavode »

True story:

I took my 7 year old, Oz and his best friend of 3 years, Lu, to have a big time in the big city this past Wednesday (17th). We played in the park, they ate chocolate and got dirty and sweaty. We then went to the mall to the food court to have lunch. They wanted to walk around some first: we went to FYI and saw lots of Dr. Who stuff: Lu went nuts! He has 3 siblings: 2 are older than he is: it goes like this, female, male, male, female. So, he was losing his mind over the Dr. Who stuff and talking about how his brother and sister would love it all. I smiled and agreed. We then went to HotTopic and he found even more DW stuff!!! He found a pack of footie socks that he just loved, so I bought them for him. Fast Forward to dropping him home...he had already put on one pair of his new socks and used another (of the 5) to bribe his big sis to hang with him for the day!!! :lol:

I just thought it was funny that I have been doing the DW quest and then find out it is truly alive and well in all generations, hehehe

:dance
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Awesome!
Ishamael
Elder Scribe

Post by Ishamael »

Awesome quest, though frustrating. I have never hated Brit sewers more than I do now! Trick is, I could not finish it. I went on the assumption it would take a couple of hours. 3 hours in and I had to go to bed. By the time I logged back in, my book had decayed and I was booted out of dungeon 3 (the reason it took so long, looking for that last piece). Is it possible to increase the decay time for the book, I would have liked to complete the quest. I have a bunch of kids, and the only time lately that I can play is late at night (which makes the mobs much tougher because fewer folk are online at the time I play). It is frustrating to have gone that far only to not complete it. I would like to attempt it again, though I do not look forward to Brit sewers again.
Annachie
Elysium Beta Tester

Post by Annachie »

My wife and I are currently moving house.

I just packed a box purely with Dr. Who stuff, and there's still more. :)
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Note:
I keep seeing people getting confused/frustrated/griping about the dalek supreme's drop rate for the screwdriver. It is absolutely a 100% drop rate. If you are not seeing them on the corpses you are looting the mobs incorrectly!

In order to successfully loot these mobs, you must be abiding by the following:
- You cannot be in war mode.
- You cannot use any auto-looting scripts/programs to loot the mob.
- You cannot use any script or program to auto-open the corpse window. If you do this, the container will be completely empty!
- You must double click the corpse yourself in order to open the corpse container.

These mobs are coded differently than other mobs on our shard, because they were custom made frame-by-frame by me. That meant that they didn't have some of the usual bells and whistles mobs come with when added to the game files, and thus we noticed they weren't leaving corpses when killed. To fix that, +C made it so they leave a sort of "dummy" corpse instead. Because this is such a specific scenario, it causes scripts and such to get confused when utilized on these corpses. It's also why being in war mode throws it off. The UO mobs system just wasn't created with these kinds of additions in mind. :)

So, again: These mobs drop gold and other miscellaneous items in addition to the screwdriver. If you're seeing empty corpses, you're getting a 'fake' corpse window and have not opened the corpse correctly.
Annachie
Elysium Beta Tester

Post by Annachie »

To add to +Nyx.

When you us all names, the corpse you want is yellow.
culichi
Legendary Scribe

Post by culichi »

I use razor but don't use it to auto loot or even for bandaging and I do get out of war mode when looting supremes but screwdriver is not a 100% loot drop for me. it just happened to me about 5 hours ago where it took 3 kills to get a screwdriver. its not a big deal so im not really complaining but just letting you know its not 100% for me and hasn't been for the past week or so.
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

It might be opening the wrong corpse still somehow. I've not had anyone have the problem in any other way so far (the last few folks who I checked while they were having the issue were still in war mode, even though they said they weren't :) ), but that's the next idea I'd think might cause the issue. Particularly if it's happening around a world save. If it happens again, try Ctrl+shift to make sure you're opening the yellow corpse (good input, Annachie!). If it's still happening, please record a razor packet video of it (showing your paper doll too) and email it to me - nyx@uoex.net. I'll look at it and see if I can think of anything else that might be causing it. But I assure you, every corpse has the screwdriver, regardless of whether you're seeing it or not. The items also don't begin their decay rate until they are moved or picked up, so it's not that. +C has been busy with more pressing projects, but if he gets some time I'll see if he can do anything to alleviate the weirdness with these guys.
Annachie
Elysium Beta Tester

Post by Annachie »

I just assumed that the one or two times it happened to me it was decay.