Doctor Who Quest

Keep track of this topic. All announcements and short-term rules will be written here.
Pariah
Legendary Scribe

Re: Doctor Who Quest

Post by Pariah »

Just a question. Is there a technical reason why the wearables aren't relayerable/samplable? I think it would be awesome if we could relayer to these. I would understand concerns about the economy etc, but I wouldn't care if the rewards that were wearable were account bound. Make these even tougher to get in terms of drops, etc. I think it would give extra incentive to those of us who have been around a while to really go after these items. Again, not sure of the feasibility or rationale so please forgive my ignorance if I am speaking out of turn.
culichi
Legendary Scribe

Post by culichi »

not a dr.who fan but quest has been fun once I got hang of it and really the only time I play uo with sounds on hehe. I also wish that scarf was good for relayers might even get me to focus more on actually getting a relayer finally. some really great rewards almost as good as the easter egg hunt rewards from this year thanks for another great seasonal quest.
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Glad the quest is working out for yall better now. :) Its a pretty complicated one as you've seen, and the systems in place to make it run are even moreso, so it's really hard to tell beforehand what the players' actual experiences will be with things like this. Hence all the adjustments in the first week or so of any new quest, lol.

Regarding wearable items, the primary reason is that most of the new wearable patch graphic items are things I already have plans for in Elysium (and some for V for Touria). But since those are taking so long to open, I didn't want to eliminate all those graphics from my possible reward pools for new seasonal quests. On the other hand, I also didn't want to make these graphics so heavily used that once they show up in one of the new facets they're no longer a highly desirable relayer sample graphic. Thus, the compromise- I utilize the graphics for seasonal quest rewards but disable them being able to be sampled or relayered, so there's still reason to obtain that graphic once it's available as part of a facet experience.
Annachie
Elysium Beta Tester

Post by Annachie »

So they will be, when they turn up officially. Cool.

The main problem with the quests was/is really the old one of mobs v players to fight them.
No players, and the mobs get quite heavy. Take in a couple of players and it becomes much easier.

Only one solution to that, and I'd rather see the facet scripting done. (Or the complexity of the xmas quests with their differing difficulty levels)
Pariah
Legendary Scribe

Post by Pariah »

+Nyx wrote:Regarding wearable items, the primary reason is that most of the new wearable patch graphic items are things I already have plans for in Elysium (and some for V for Touria). But since those are taking so long to open, I didn't want to eliminate all those graphics from my possible reward pools for new seasonal quests. On the other hand, I also didn't want to make these graphics so heavily used that once they show up in one of the new facets they're no longer a highly desirable relayer sample graphic. Thus, the compromise- I utilize the graphics for seasonal quest rewards but disable them being able to be sampled or relayered, so there's still reason to obtain that graphic once it's available as part of a facet experience.
That's cool. I love the new graphics. My thought was maybe for each quest/new thing opened, there could be 1 item that is at a very rare drop tier and is account bound that could be relayerable. That way, you don't drain your pool too much for patch graphic items and most players would still want/need them with the facets. If they saw it on another player to drool over, could build more excitement for quests, new facets, etc. This would definitely give an incentive for more to join the fray. This quest is awesome regardless. I'm kind of surprised I'm not seeing more people run it. Just a thought. I'm probably missing a lot of the negatives of doing it this way because I'm all amped up on caffeine this morning. Thanks again for making such a unique thing for us. I've only watched very little of Doctor Who so now I need to turn the show on while playing so I get most of the references.
Pariah
Legendary Scribe

Post by Pariah »

New issue with angels too close to the exit of the second dungeon. I've been blinked twice while running full out for the NPC or waiting for the NPC to pick up the book. I am working on a packet video to share. Will upload shortly. Would it be possible to make sure the angels don't have a radius within the safe zone at the exit?

Sent you the RPV, but it seems to not pick up some of the map...

EDIT: This seems to be somewhat exclusive to level 2.
Agony
Legendary Scribe

Post by Agony »

I am experiencing a slight issue with the angels in the same area. I ran though trying not to blink, then blinked just as I got the next quest book, was teleported to the punt room, then half a second later teleported to the next dungeon where another angel was sitting inside the safe entrance spot and I blinked again after which, I was feeling pretty blinky :oops: Only happened once, but I have noticed angels in the unavoidable spots the last few times. After the blinkskrieg episode though, I still got a tier 3 reward :woot: Best seasonal quest yet!
BTW, after doing this quest the first time, I decided to watch Dr Who on Netflix. I got hooked and am now binge-watching anything Dr Who I can find. Is there anyplace on the web where I can legally get my hands on the early episodes and movies from the 70's and 80's?
Yoda
Legendary Scribe

Post by Yoda »

not all of them exist due to a bbc vault fire.. and its alot.. I believe something to the effect of 386 hours or so
Agony
Legendary Scribe

Post by Agony »

Wow.. that is tragic. They must have lost a ton of films
Annachie
Elysium Beta Tester

Post by Annachie »

Most of the real early stuff from the 1960's only exists because other countries had copies. Some are filmed off of the TV copies. A couple exist as audio only.

It wasn't just fire, video stock was expensive back in the day so the BBC re-used the video tapes and over wrote them.

Much of the early Dr. Who is available on DVD, including the Peter Cushing film, but I don't know about the net side o things. There might still be licensing issues from the old days. (Much of the early stuff was licensed to a countries broadcaster for a certain number of showings. So the broadcasters would sit on the last showing for a long as possible to stop anyone else getting it.)

As for the angels, try not t run straight through them. Sneak around the edges. They seem to have a range of 4 squares, and if you're in range when they decide the times up, you blink. That includes running past then running back, which I did once lol
Yuki
Adept Scribe

Post by Yuki »

I was blinked by an angel on the 2nd level as I was turning in my quest as well. I however got sent to the 3rd level but was unable to move. I tried to die but still was not able to move. I logged out after a while so I could just get booted after a while but now I'm outside the dungeon and still cannot move. I can recall and teleport around but cannot move. Anyone else experience this issue and have a resolution? I'm not on too often these days and haven't been able to catch a GM.
Gaara
Legendary Scribe

Post by Gaara »

Yuki wrote:I was blinked by an angel on the 2nd level as I was turning in my quest as well. I however got sent to the 3rd level but was unable to move. I tried to die but still was not able to move. I logged out after a while so I could just get booted after a while but now I'm outside the dungeon and still cannot move. I can recall and teleport around but cannot move. Anyone else experience this issue and have a resolution? I'm not on too often these days and haven't been able to catch a GM.
Did you try the "help i'm stuck" thingy?
Agony
Legendary Scribe

Post by Agony »

Thanks for the info one the who films.. It gives me somewhat of an idea on how to look for them :)

Update on the angel problem..
I just did the quest, and in dungeon 2 I was sitting in one spot for several minutes whirl-winding the mob.. Then suddenly I got tele'd to the blink punt room, without blinking and no angel was anywhere to be seen. I ran back to the room thinking that maybe an angel may have spawned on me, but that wasn't the case. I took this screenshot after returning just to give a heads up that maybe the area is bugged?

I love this summer quest. It is long, complex and entertaining. But the random blinking when it is not supposed to happen kind of leaves me more frustrated than entertained. I've run the quest numerous times without blinking, but since about three days ago the blinking seems to be a bit unstable.
(still got a 4th tier reward though :dance )
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Regarding the Angels, I'll take a look at them when I have a chance, but they are designed to be placed in tricky spots. They trigger the warning message when you come into range, and then you have 3 seconds to move out of their range or the second portion of their code will be triggered, which moves you to the angel room. Their range is only about 3 tiles. It is possible, however, to successfully avoid one angel and then trigger a second angel within a few seconds after, if you run into their range. Essentially, the first message activates the angel and then your character receives a temporary 'tag' that says you're eligible to be moved by an angel. Then, if an angel detects a player with that tag on them, the code to move the player is activated. It can't just happen at the same time as the 'Don't blink' message, as you've not yet received the tag by then; unless you have triggered an angel in the last few seconds already.

About the screenshot- that is an angel spawning location, underneath those giant spiderwebs. Likely what happened is that it spawned there, but you were slightly out of its range, or it didn't 'see' you (these detect player movement) until you took a step or two, then it triggered and by the time you got back to look for it, it had moved. Each of the 8 Angels per level has 3 individual spawn locations on their dungeon level, and they move every 10-20 minutes or so.

For those of you triggering angels while turning in your quest- no angel spawns inside the 'safe area', they can however spawn literally right outside of it. If you stay too close to it while talking to river, it will trigger. River wanders around the safe area for this reason- if she's too close to the angel when you arrive, get past it and out of its range then wait for River to path further away from it.

Anyway, like I said I'll take a look at them when I can, maybe reduce the length of time the angel tag stays on a player and possibly scoot the Angels near the safe zones back a few tiles.
Agony
Legendary Scribe

Post by Agony »

eh you are right... I didn't stop to claim anything, may have spawned underneath them