Doctor Who Quest

Keep track of this topic. All announcements and short-term rules will be written here.
WhskySoldr
Passer by

Re: Doctor Who Quest

Post by WhskySoldr »

I'm sure the super geared are enjoying it, after 2 hours clearing all but the corners of level 3, because there are dozens in each of those two rooms, and not finding the second item(found the globe 5 times now though)I'd have to say it is a waste of time for most else. Nice idea though, good to see some can enjoy it though.
Annachie
Elysium Beta Tester

Post by Annachie »

What appears to be happening is that the item spawns quite often, but the barrel it spawns in moves every 5 or 10 minutes or whatever.

So one way to do it is locate an area where the barrel will spawn, but isn't overwhelmed by mobs and wait it out.

First trip through took me 5 hours. But the second was just over an hour because I knew where to wait.
Pariah
Legendary Scribe

Post by Pariah »

While I don't agree with the passive aggressive tone of your post, there does seem to be an issue with spawn and zone control. I'm not sure if this is intentional though. There are a few rooms which are simply overrun with spawn (2 dozen or more by my count) while other areas you can simply walk up to and encounter maybe a single mob or two. As Annachie said, the items move so I'd suggest finding a few of the less difficult spots and waiting it out. I tend to just run and not engage the mobs until after I have the items. Thus, I can battle on my terms. Good luck to you.
datou
Passer by

Post by datou »

i have a question ,i' m in the rewards room why i cant talk with River and Doctor to get the rewards
Sethra Lavode
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Sethra Lavode »

I finally had time to try my hand at the quest! I thought it was well done and loved the sounds. The only thing I do not like is the 8 hour cool down between runs....boooo! :lol:
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Modifications:
- Reduced overall number of mobs on all dungeon levels.
- Improved the way the mobs on dungeon level 3 (daleks & cybermen) spawn, so they should be a bit more spread out from now on.
- All quest collect items in barrels now move every 45 minutes (previous 5-20 minutes).
- Various improvements to the reward NPC.

I'll check in again later this evening in case of any issues. Please post them here if you experience anything weird :)
Annachie
Elysium Beta Tester

Post by Annachie »

Well I did get kicked from the second dungeon with the message you're not on this quest or similar, about an hour after receiving book 3.
Every time I approached River in Serpnts hold I'd get sent back to the start of the level, then kicked back out with the same message.
Pariah
Legendary Scribe

Post by Pariah »

I just want to preface my comments with a thank you for the amazing work here. I can tell it was not an insignificant amount of time. I've run the quest 3 times now I think. I still don't really get the blinking thing. I'm assuming you just get away from the statue as quickly as possible, which in principle seems easy. The first run, I blinked 3 or 4 times, second and third time, twice. The spawn still seems to get stuck in certain places and just swarms of mobs. Included some screenshots to take a look. This combined with weeping angels at times within a few tiles of the angels makes me want die a slow death. In this particular run, one of the items was in 1 of 3 spots,all of which I couldn't get to because of the angels being within a few tiles of the barrels. In one (you can't really tell from the swarm of mobs), there are angels on each side of the barrels so I just stared at it longingly. Just had to kind of wait for everything to shift (not a big deal if it's 5-20 mins, but 45 could be a pain). Instead of waiting, I got impatient and couldn't retrieve the item in any of the locations because of being blinked. I may or may not have taken your deity of your choice's name in vain. So, if that's expected, because it's supposed to be about patience and what not, that's cool. I am just equal parts impatient and perfectionist...

Sethra Lavode
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Sethra Lavode »

The quest is now kicking me out at book 2 as soon as I get into the dungeon/sewer area. Once, it even said I blinked - there was no angel there. I am paging in-game, too.

The 8 hour cooldown....with stuff like this going on, it makes it really suck for those of us that really want to do it.
Annachie
Elysium Beta Tester

Post by Annachie »

Happened to me in book 3. All I can think of is that it was maybe 8 hours after I received the first book. Got laggy in the middle so I stopped.
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Modifications:
- Triple-checked the tracking vs moving out of dungeon. It's all correct, so my suspicion here is that some folks were getting kicked out of the dungeon during the short period of time where I was adjusting it earlier today, and before I finished syncing everything up to the new methods. It shouldn't still be happening on subsequent quest runs.
- Further reduced the number of mobs on level 3 (daleks and cybermen)
- All items to collect for the quest that were previously only in barrels now also have a chance to drop off any mob on that level of the dungeon. This should hopefully help relieve some of the frustration of barrel-hunting.
- I've set all mobs on dungeon levels 1-3 to have a deletion rate. This means that once spawned, a mob will be deleted after 60 minutes and that will allow the spawner to trigger a fresh spawn in a new location. This should help with the spawn grouping - from the screenshot that was clearly where someone had been a troll and dragged the mobs all in a bunch. There's no way I can really stop that from happening, but having the mobs be forcibly respawned every so often will at least guarantee that they don't stay bunched up like that for very long.
- The quest delay is now 6 hours instead of 8.

Let me know how *these* adjustments go :)
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Also, Sethra and Ebony, I've given you a random Tier 4 reward to make up for your not being able to complete the quest earlier while I was making adjustments.
Annachie
Elysium Beta Tester

Post by Annachie »

Why thank thee good lady :)

Ah ha! I know know what tier something is in! <evil cackle>
Sethra Lavode
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Sethra Lavode »

Wow, thank you very much! Time for me to try and get back in there. I really do appreciate that making these quests has to be time consuming and frustrating which means they are also a passion. This one is pretty dog gone groovy. Thanks :nod:
Pariah
Legendary Scribe

Post by Pariah »

Did a run through this morning based on the changes. It seemed like a good split. I got about half of my quest items from mob drops, half from barrels. It made the quest A LOT faster. In my case, the drops from mobs could be lessened a bit. There is no difficulty for me personally killing them, but I'm probably an edge case. For the vast majority of players, I think the way the quest sits now is probably perfect. Not too punishing for mid range players, not particularly challenging for vets, tough on newer players but they can use pets. Overall, really enjoying it now and the rewards are fun too. Thanks for all the hard work on this.