Doctor Who Quest

Keep track of this topic. All announcements and short-term rules will be written here.
+Nyx
Administrator

Doctor Who Quest

Post by +Nyx »

I had originally planned to run this as a hosted event, but got inspired by all the reward possibilities and decided to make it into one of my seasonal quests. This is by far the most complex, dynamic, and difficult of the seasonal quests (excepting, perhaps, the harder winter event; but that's not quite the same sorta thing).

The various NPCs and mobs have been carefully designed, take a moment to check out their paperdolls where available. It would also behoove you to play with your sound on, particularly when you reach Book 4 and 5. Take your time with the various quest interactions - some are quite detailed and interesting, especially during Book 5.

To begin the quest, speak to River Song in Serpent's Hold. She's in the building to the far Northeast corner of town.

Important information:
- Initiate the quest by saying 'hail' to River. This is the only time you will need to use speech to progress this quest.
- This quest is not as easy as the St. Patty's, Valentine's Day, or Spring quests. It is quite a bit more lengthy, complex, and challenging. Please do not attempt it if you aren't willing to work for it.
- Since this quest is more complex and lengthy, please set aside at least an hour and a half to fully appreciate & complete it the first time. I imagine it will take most players about 45 minutes to 1 hour to run on an average run.
- Estimated difficulty level- I think any player who can handle balrons with relative ease, either through gear or pets, should be able to complete this quest. Some of the dungeon levels will be quite challenging if there aren't many other players hunting in the area and thus have full spawn.
- Unless you are one of our super-geared players, I strongly recommend you avoid running through the dungeons willy-nilly. You will die a horrible death.
- This quest is repeatable every 6 hours. Your quest books will expire and decay after 16 hours. The quest cooldown is by account - if you are on cooldown, you won't be able to run the quest on your alts. You will be able to collect another book, but you won't be able to complete it.
- Pets are currently allowed in this event, but if their usage becomes overly bothersome or trolly, I will disable them.
- You will frequently be forcibly teleported around as part of this quest. If you are a pet user, always remember to shrink your pets before approaching the quest NPCs with your completed books. Otherwise, the pets will be left behind and you'll have to summon them with your pet summoning ball(s), or pay the fees on the pet summoning stones in the dungeon.
- Please read all gumps and quest book text carefully. The steps to this quest are not necessarily obvious, but they are explained in sufficient detail to complete them.
- Players with the [young] tag cannot enter the quest building. Other than this, there is no age limitation on the event.
- The quest books are all graphics from the booster patch. If you aren't properly patched, you won't be able to see the book in your inventory even though the NPC's gump will trigger appropriately.
- All of the companions for Book 1 can be reached by foot.
- I've added some anti-exploit, anti-troll features to the primary quest npc. If you say "hail" to the main quest NPC in Serpent's Hold while already on this quest, and trigger the opening dialogue, your current quest book will be deleted and you will be given a new one. I've added some checks to her so that if you are already on the quest and say 'hail' (when you shouldn't), then she will just tell you that you're already on the quest. However, if you say hail a few times,it could potentially trigger the opening dialogue and thus trigger the anti-exploit measures, which will remove your current book. If you are returning with a completed book 1, you DO NOT need to speak to her. Just walk around her a bit and she will give you the next book.

Event Dungeon
- Healing has not been diminished in any portion of this event.
- The immediate area surrounding the entrance to each dungeon is a 'safe' area. Mobs will be removed if they approach. The same goes for the area immediately surrounding the entrance to the next level of the dungeon.
- There are 2 res stations per level for the first 3 dungeon levels. There is always one res station within 1 screen of the entrance, and another at the exit. These res stations have an ankh, a pet summoning stone, and a corpse stone. All other dungeon levels are very small, and include only 1 res station, with no pet or corpse summoning stones.
- You cannot be in the event dungeon unless you are working on the quest. There is no way to enter it without being on the quest, and if you log out in the dungeon and then log back in after your quest book has decayed, you will be moved out and will have to start over.
- This quest is very linear - once you are moved to the dungeon, you will have to reach the end of that level in order to progress.
- If you must leave the dungeon before completing your current book, you can re-enter by approaching River in Serpent's Hold. You may leave by using Recall or the world teleporters placed at the end of the dungeon levels.
- Take heed to the quest books' instructions to avoid the weeping angels. While in the Halloween dungeon they are merely a nuisance, in this quest they will affect the outcome of your quest!
- All mobs are on a pretty fast respawn timer, with 1 of each type spawning every 1-ish minutes
- The items you are required to collect are found inside barrels, and they won't be in the same spot every time you run the quest. These items must be stolen (requires 1.0+ stealing skill), and will respawn every 1 minute. All barrels have various junk items, which you cannot remove or steal. The quest items will not respawn underneath any of the junk. This is just to prevent scripting to determine which barrel contains the quest items. These items also have a small chance of spawning on any mob on that level of the dungeon.
- I haven't gone out of my way to reduce the gold, tokens, or exp provided by the quest mobs overmuch. I did make some generalized reductions to gold and tokens across all mobs spawning in the entire dungeon, but I think you will find the gold is still decent for a full run of the quest.

Dalek Supremes
These mobs are custom to Excelsior, handmade by me. They work a bit differently than other mobs in terms of looting. In order to successfully loot these mobs, you must be abiding by the following:
- You cannot be in war mode.
- You cannot use any auto-looting scripts/programs to loot the mob.
- You cannot use any script or program to auto-open the corpse window. If you do this, the container will be completely empty!
- You must double click the corpse yourself in order to open the corpse container.
- If you're still having trouble, try using CTRL+Shift to see the corpse name - make sure you're clicking on the yellow one, not the gray one.
- These mobs always drop gold and the screwdriver. If you're seeing a completely empty container, it's the wrong one.
- A good way to tell you've opened the correct corpse is that these mobs will have a backpack gump graphic. If you are seeing the usual corpse gump - the crossbones casket gump - you've opened the wrong one.

Weeping angels
- If you are victimized by a weeping angel, you will eventually find yourself back at the beginning of the level you were on.
- The weeping angels move periodically. They won't always be in the same place they were last time, and sometimes they will be in very inconvenient spots. You may have to be clever in your methods to get around them, or return later once it has moved.
- The weeping angels keep a running count throughout the entire quest of how many times you were punted by them. This will affect your reward. Essentially, the less angels you fall prey to, the better chance you have of receiving a top tier reward.
- I'm not going to tell y'all the exact numbers for the angels or exactly how the tiers work. Suffice to say that if you fall prey to more than a handful of them, you'll have the lowest chance for a top tier reward.

Rewards
- There are 37 total rewards possible for this quest.
- You cannot view the rewards until you have completed the quest. I'll likely post a rewards screenshot sometime later.
- The rewards are separated by reward tier. The table tiers go clockwise beginning on the south end. Thus, tier 1 is the table on the south side, tier 2 is the table on the west, tier 3 is the table on the north, and tier 4 is the table on the east.
- All wall-hanging reward items come in both directions, but only one is displayed.
- Some of the tier 4 rewards are interactive ;)
- Some of the tier 4 rewards are rare even within that tier's range.
- Some of the quest items are wearable, but none are samplable or relayerable.
- You can stay in the reward area as long as you like
- The reward area allows recall and personal world teleporters to be utilized to exit.

We have thoroughly tested this quest from start to finish, but it's always a different matter when there are numerous players running it at once. I will be on hand to babysit the event and make adjustments as needed for the first couple of days. If you find anything that is in contradiction to the statements I've made above, please send me a page.

This quest will run until July 19th.

Enjoy, shardlings!

- +N
+Nyx
Administrator

Re: Doctor Who Quest

Post by +Nyx »

This should be obvious, but remember not to run around after you've triggered River's dialogue. If you move out of range while going through the gumps, they will fail and you won't receive the quest book. Also remember that when several people are all grouped up trying to access the NPC at the same time, it will usually cause errors/delays.
TribalInstincts
Expert Scribe

Post by TribalInstincts »

Thanks for all the work on this! More than anything else, it was a blast fighting off Daleks... IN ULTIMA ONLINE! *mind blown* You would think Sonic Screwdrivers and Cybermen have no place in UO but Doctor Who fits PERFECTLY! LOVED IT!

As a relative newb with 5 nobles, 1 decent bow, and no relayers, it took me around 2.5 hours from start to finish for the first run through. A good 70% of that time was spent on book 4 alone. Getting through all the Daleks and Cybermen to loot the items was incredibly tough. I eventually had to resort to ninja looting the chests. Needless to say, this caused many a deaths :P I expect the next run will take me an hour or so.

The only down side I will say to this was the reward. A Fish Fingers and Custard bowl. After fighting off hordes of Daleks and Cybermen and all the other mobs to finally save The Doctor you would think he would be more generous than providing a snack... I understand the angels impact the reward, I was only gotten once. I would say that any reward you get from something this involved should at least inspire an "Oh! Cool." after a successful run. Fish Fingers and Custard does not inspire that, at least in me :P

Regardless of the reward, awesome job. The whole thing was a lot of fun! THANKS!!!
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Well, that's the trouble with rewards. It's just not feasible to make every reward "super cool". Some not-so-great rewards need to be in every reward pool so there's something to look forward to on repeat and to fill out a collection. Particularly in an event like this, where there are different reward tiers.

As for the angels issue, they'll be calculating slightly differently on your next run-through. Even having only been triggered by one once, you could still get a tier 1 reward, but the chances are much lower than if, say, you hit them 9 times.
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

I modified the Dalek and Cybermen's range of perception to about half the previous. This should mean that they won't detect players/pets from so many tiles away, and will hopefully help bring down the overall difficulty of Books 4 and 5.

There are world teleporters at the end of every major dungeon level, in case you need to exit.
TribalInstincts
Expert Scribe

+Nyx wrote:Well, that's the trouble with rewards. It's just not feasible to make every reward "super cool".
Oh of course I never meant that everyone should get the top tier reward. Just that that particular item didn't go well even with the other tier 1 items. The only thing that seems to link it to Dr Who is that it is a British item? :P I am only on Season 3 so maybe Fish Fingers and Custard will make an appearance later :)

Again, this does not diminish the quest at all. The dungeons themselves were a blast. The -only- critique is that 2 or 3 of the lower tier rewards seemed out of place. Thanks again!
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Every reward is an actual Doctor Who themed item. Your reward item comes up with the 11th doctor. Season3?! You heretic ;)
TribalInstincts
Expert Scribe

+Nyx wrote:Every reward is an actual Doctor Who themed item. Your reward item comes up with the 11th doctor. Season3?! You heretic ;)
haha alright alright... I retract all previous statements!... Except the ones that convey how awesome a Dr Who/UO mash up is! :woot:
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Modified how the angel-room handles moving y'all back. Now, instead of always being moved back to level 1, you will be moved to the beginning of the level that is appropriate for your current Book.
Fiernocht
Legendary Scribe

Post by Fiernocht »

never seen Dr. Who. so the novelty of this quest is lost on me, but I may try to run it just for fun =P
Agony
Legendary Scribe

Post by Agony »

Great Quest! This would be an -AWESOME- perma quest!! I cannot complete the second dungeon though, it is repeatedly kicking me back to the beginning. I'ma keep trying :)
Amerissis
Passer by

Post by Amerissis »

Cool Quest thank's +Nyx :dance
Kaiho
Journeyman Scribe

Post by Kaiho »

Ok I couldn't finish the 4th book yesterday due to having to constantly log off for various reasons. Do I have to start over since it keeps kicking me out? I assume that's the decay you were talking about?
Kaiho
Journeyman Scribe

Post by Kaiho »

Disregard I was able to get in but I now have a bug to go post.
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Modifications:
- All item-collect items now have a 1 minute respawn
- Added a third moving barrel to each level that will spawn both types of item collect items for that level (one at a time, randomized)
- Added some blockers to prevent mobs spawning outside of the walls on level 3
- Added blockers to prevent mobs spawning in the pit on level 2
- Modified the reward npc to be a bit more efficient
- Weeping angel counts are now tracked with a different type of item and will no longer show up as a quest in your log.
- I've added some anti-exploit, anti-troll features to the primary quest npc. If you say "hail" to the main quest NPC in Serpent's Hold while already on this quest, and trigger the opening dialogue, your current quest book will be deleted and you will be given a new one. I've added some checks to her so that if you are already on the quest and say 'hail' (when you shouldn't), then she will just tell you that you're already on the quest. However, if you say hail a few times,it could potentially trigger the opening dialogue and thus trigger the anti-exploit measures, which will remove your current book. If you are returning with a completed book 1, you DO NOT need to speak to her. Just walk around her a bit and she will give you the next book.
- Books will now decay at the appropriate rate (8 hours and 1 minute from time obtained).
- Fixed (hopefully, lol) the issue with players occasionally getting stuck in the floor of the angel room if they were running when moved.
- Boosted the gold and token drops on all dungeon mobs by 25%
- Re-Enabled claim