Grand auction - December 9th at 10th

Keep track of this topic. All announcements and short-term rules will be written here.
+Colibri
Administrator

Grand auction - December 9th at 10th

Post by +Colibri »

There will be a grand auction this weekend.
First on Saturday, December 9th, at 22:00 shard time. (That's 5pm eastern, 4pm central, 2pm pacific; 11pm central europe; 9am sunday morning for most australians)
NOTE: the auction will begin with a 30 minute delay, at 22:30 shard time.

Second on Sunday, December 10th, at 19:00 shard time. (That's 2pm eastern, 1am central, 11am pacific; 8pm central europe; 6am sunday morning for most australians).

Removed paragraph (posted on Tuesday): The items will be listed by the end of the week, might be still added to as time goes by, but on Friday 23:59 the list is final. We'll follow the same pattern as in a few previous grand auctions - the big ticket items will be split roughly 50-50 between both auctions. Saturday time is a bit more favorable for most players so there might be a bit more weight on the saturday items. The deco will be duplicated, same items will be sold on both the Saturday and Sunday auctions.

Will there be a re-auction? Yes.
Only the items that will be sold once (either Saturday or Sunday) will be in the re-auction drawing. The deco that's already sold twice will not be re-auctioned. Keep in mind that 50% of all those qualifying items will be selected at random - so if you really want something, be sure to bid on it at the life auction, since there's only a 50% chance of it ending up at re-auction. Re-auctioned prices start at 10% over the price of what the item was sold for regularly.

Here's the list of items. Btw sorry for doing this right on the deadline... that's how I studied for all tests at school and I don't think I can break the habit :) Also, I fell ill on Sunday, still quite low on energy and tired a lot.

All these items are on display in the auction room. Note that some of them will be auctioned for tokens or for Elven Notes.

Items that will be sold only on the Saturday auction:
Dragon on perch
1000 Tailor's Florins
Housegate style - red vortex
Titan's hammer
Achievement Book
Ethereal Centaur
Deed for a Totem Slot
PowerScroll bag
Bracelet of Sha'am bonus slots
Water House
Ethereal Dye Tub
Change Weapon Specials
-1 control slots for ethereal mount
Heart of the Ocean
Change Shield Appearance to Black Tower Shield

Items that will be sold only on the Sunday auction:
Harpy on perch
Sharpening Blade
Housegate style - blue vortex
Enchanted Runebook
Ethereal Mount De-etherializing tub
Ancient Yumi
Deed for a 130 pet powerscroll - any skill - page staff to use
Night Sight deed
Personal NPC body change deed
Ethereal Dye Tub
Deed to bless your character's main backpack
Lower reagent cost deed
Delucian Horn (infinite uses)
+12 Tinkering Suit

Items that will be sold on both auctions (deco):
XmasSnowPark
XmasSantasBedroom
SnowPileCorner1
XmasCharlieBrownTree
XmasGiftPileSmall
SantaSouth
XmasTableLg
XmasTreeLoadedGifts
SantasSleighEast
XmasGingerbreadHouse
XmasGiftPile
SnowyTroughEast
SantasSleigh8
Bloody Sacrifice
HammockPalmEast
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)
GreenBar
Grandmaster Scribe

Re: Grand auction - December 9th at 10th

Post by GreenBar »

+Colibri wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:51 am
There will be a grand auction this weekend.
First on Saturday, December 9th, at 22:00 shard time. (That's 5pm eastern, 4pm central, 2pm pacific; 11pm central europe; 9am sunday morning for most australians)
Second on Sunday, December 10th, at 19:00 shard time. (That's 2pm eastern, 1am central, 11am pacific; 8pm central europe; 6am sunday morning for most australians).
Darn just scheduled to work this weekend. :?
Praise
Master Scribe

Post by Praise »

Looking forward to it! Thanks +Colibri :D
Praise
Johnny Warren
Legendary Scribe

Post by Johnny Warren »

:dance :dance :dance

Sick. Thanks +C
JOHNNY WARREN!
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

Bump - list of items was posted.
Btw, the plan was that every auction i code 1-2 new deeds or some cool items, but so far ... at least we have an auction. High hopes for one new thing in january, I guess..

(Old Colibrian proverb)
MagicUser
Elder Scribe

Post by MagicUser »

How bout an Exceptional tag for a weapon? I can't remember if you've done that yet.
Respectfully,
Paroxysmus ILV Master Spellcaster
Johnny Warren
Legendary Scribe

Post by Johnny Warren »

Thanks for the auction and getting the list out.

Definitely feels like an underpowered list compared to normal Xmas auction lists. Needs more "+Spend points/+hit to weapon/X to Y" deeds in my opinion. There is the change specials deed, which his good to see. A little odd to see none of the powerful weapons in a grand auction too. Only regular TH and the yumi (which is the weakest of all the ancient weapons and is actually not a top tier endgame weapon). I guess it has a totem, that makes it feel grand.

Thanks again +C, see you all there.

I will also state this every time it appears. The Night Sight deed is the worst thing ever created. A "REMOVE Night Sight malus" from an item would at least have a use. The logic is UOS/Orion/anyhelperprog has the built in night sight. But UO has really lovely lighting effects. So it looks lovely to lighten the whole screen whilst still having the lighting effects making the games graphics nicer. Night sight trashes that. Removes all the lighting effects from the game, which is awful. If I was a mid game player and I looted a perfect ring, for example, but it had night sight, I would definitely pay to try and remove the night sight. I would definitely not pay anything to do something that my helper-program does better and for free.

EDIT: Ideas for easy scriptable deeds. These have been done before I think: Add slayer to a weapon, Add Exceptional to a weapon, More custom weapon graphics, more custom mounts - the ones the PotYs got would all be 100m+ at auction.

EDIT2: I'd just like to clarify it is clearly my opinion that the list is underpowered and that's purely because apart form the totem there is nothing I can really use from it (and many end-game players will be in the same boat). I can appreciate this might be a more "newb friendly" auction, but I think that's a mistake for the Xmas Grand. This is our second largest auction each year and I feel it should not be the one ticketed to be for newer players. Use the lesser auctions throughout the year to cater for the plebs. I also thought I would add a bit of info to help explain myself. When I say underpowered, I mean, apart from totem there's none of the "BIG ticket items" in this list. Here's the tier list for reference +C for when you want to balance a series of auctions:

S-Tier - Totem slot (would be nice to see different totems too, not always pentagram) 600+m gp

+A-Tier - Ancient Comp bow, Ancient Titan's Hammer, Change hit X to Y deed. 300+mgp

-A Tier- Ancient warhammer, change weapon specials, +20 spend points to a weapon, +10 to a hit on a weapon, normal Titan's Hammer. The best ethy mounts come into the A-Tier as well (Diablo and the uber unique ones). 150+m gp

B-Tier - All the special houses, most of the special ethys (Daemon, skelly drag, drake, panda etc). Ancient Yumi and legendary Halberd. 100+m gp

C-Tier - The infinite bandages, bless backpack, infinite instruments, de-ethy tub, make house always like new (this one is like C+ or B-) The "Hole in the ground deco item" 10m+ gp

D-Tier and below. I can't be bothered sorting this stuff. This is where all Vet reward mounts, pets on perches, ethy tubs, deco etc sits.

Hope that helps when you want to adjust the "powerlevel" of the auction...
Last edited by Johnny Warren on Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:35 am, edited 4 times in total.
JOHNNY WARREN!
Melkor
Legendary Scribe

Post by Melkor »

I like having the night sight on my earrings so I can take them on and off easy. The night lighting is cool. It's going to cost you in lamp posts once you get into it though :lool:
TDC Guild
Geriatric
Legendary Scribe

Post by Geriatric »

a couple of big ticket items and the rest is just decorations

i would prefer to atleast see half and half in decorations/character development
not saying there needs to be 3 or 4 titan hammers
but other weird deeds +5% hit lightning, or life leech
i still think having a one singular markable felluca rune is a decent idea
gargoyle kings pick axe, triple amount of ore higher chance of elemental
super fast boat, allows you to use the "fast forward" command, moving twice the speed of normal on a boat (this has been on OSI shards for as long as i can remember)

ive always thought it would be a good idea to have deeds to level armour, but it caps out at 20 levels
a little improvement on the GOC but nowhere near as good as a relayer
Muolke
Legendary Scribe

Post by Muolke »

I was a bit surprised (as were others) that there's just a regular Titan Hammer and not an Ancient Titan Hammer. I was obviously hoping for other big ticket items but that's just the roll of the dice with auctions...you never know what's coming.

I've always wondered why auctions aren't more automated? Monthly auctions were supposed to be a thing like 3 years ago and that never happened...so why not create an auction stone and just rotate items (like the raffle stones in Trinsic) and let people bid on items. If you make the highest bid on an item and there's very little time left then the timer always goes back to at least 5 minutes left. That way people aren't bidding with 1 second left and others don't have a chance to raise the bid again.

In a perfect Muolke world...that would become a reality :D
Durocius
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Durocius »

Stone would be a great gold sink. 💰💰💰
Geriatric
Legendary Scribe

Post by Geriatric »

an auction stone would be a brilliant idea its on a total time of 96 hours per item or 72, so every 3-4 days
every body knows EXACTLY what time the auction of that particular item ends

no 5 minutes added every time someone bids or anything, the hammer falls on the 96 hour mark
everyone is crowding around the stone at the last minute trying to place their bids

and all +C has to do is every 3-4 days is pick which item goes up next
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

Quick update, the saturday auction will begin with a 30-minute delay, at 22:30 shard time.

(Old Colibrian proverb)
culichi
Legendary Scribe

Post by culichi »

live auctions are fun its pretty much the only fun event left on the server. i do think a stone maybe a week before the live auction where people who cant make it can post their bids ahead of the auction would be great. ive only missed one live auction (maybe two?) since i started here 9 1/2 years ago because they are fun even if im broke or there is nothing that interesting being offered. auctions would be more fun if people dressed up and and cheered the winners at least to me but unfortunately the world doesnt revolve around what i want (it should) :verymad:
Durocius
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Durocius »

Yea. We should have had an ugliest Christmas outfit contest. Winner gets a huge trophy.
🏆