Fall Harvest Quest 2017

Keep track of this topic. All announcements and short-term rules will be written here.
+Nyx
Administrator

Fall Harvest Quest 2017

Post by +Nyx »

To begin the quest, seek out Liam the farmer in his home, east from Skara Brae island. He needs assistance with various tasks on his family's farms.

For information about this quest, please visit the wiki: Fall Harvest Quest

Do NOT post in this thread for quest issues! Read the wiki page top to bottom, and if you still cannot figure it out, send a page in game. Do NOT send pages until you have thoroughly read the wiki page!

New this year:
  • Farming-area quest books randomized. This means that your crop farming will be different every time. You may get a book that requires apples, pumpkins, squash, pecans and turnips one time, and then get something completely different the next time.
  • Farming-area quest book counts randomized. Previously, you needed 30 of each crop in each of the 2 farming books. Now, the requirement numbers will be random in increments of 5 between 15 and 30, with 20-25 being the most likely to be seen.
  • Charred scarecrows are now interactive and should be avoided. If you trigger a scarecrow, it will begin to burn anew. If you don't get out of range of the scarecrow within 5 seconds, you will become frightened of the fire and drop a number of your crops. They have a 2-tile trigger radius. They spawn only in the farm fields, and move every 10 minutes or so within their field with a chance to not spawn at all. You can find further information about them on the wiki.
  • If you exit the farming area before completing your quest book, you will have to complete the corn maze again in order to get back.
  • T-shirt quest added for completing 40 runs. Mandy is wearing an example of the shirt.
  • Added quest currency and vendor stone. The vendor stone has the fall trees from last year, which are not in the reward rotation this year. It also has the leaf pile, a costume, and various other goodies. It, and its display, are located on the third floor of the reward display building. The trees are displayed north of the reward building, in the same order as their deeds are displayed on the table.
  • Declan now requires a speech command to begin his cinematic. Say hail when it is your turn to begin.
  • Updated Declan's area a bit for efficiency and added a bodyguard to remind people not to approach Declan if someone is already sitting next to him.
  • Added delayed teleporters around all the major quest NPCs and the timer clock. If a player stands near these for longer than 2 mins they'll be moved out. In the case of Declan, the timer for sitting next to him is 2 mins and all of the other tiles near him are 30 seconds. If you take longer than this to complete his cinematic, you will have to go to the end of the line.
  • Rewards completely revamped: many brand new rewards added, older rewards updated and their drop chances reworked.
    Special-function rewards
    - Crow on a fence (wood and iron): the crow will sit on the fence, moving around and making noise. When approached by a player it will fly off, circling for a brief period before despawning. He'll eventually return to his perch.
    - Bangle of Evanescence: This bracelet will teleport you to a random, safe location. This bracelet does not give you mana drain when using it to get out of fel. It has a 2 hour cooldown and requires charges to use. You can recharge it using 50 ethy powder - double click the powder then target your bangle. If the bangle reaches 0 charges, it breaks permanently but does not disappear. At that point, it can no longer be recharged or used but can be kept for decorative purposes.
    - Horn of Plenty: Double click your horn once a day for a little treat. Mostly, you'll get fruit or vegetables from the horn, but it does have a few rare, cool items in its rotation. It will only work during the fall months.
    - Water Barrels: these will allow you to fill pitchers from them.

This quest will be open until October 1st. You can complete it once every 6 hours.

Enjoy, shardlings!

- +N
Annachie
Elysium Beta Tester

Re: Fall Harvest Quest 2017

Post by Annachie »

I love the randomness in the harvesting, and the extra crops.
Makes things a little more interesting. :)
Character name: Ebony
svengermin
Master Scribe

Post by svengermin »

Agreed! I'm much more inclined to do this everyday. Not only for the awesome rewards, <3 but also because it seems less time consuming than last year. :D All in all great job guys! I'm impressed once again and look forward to what comes in the future!
Red Rooster
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

I'd be interested to hear how the run times compare to last year, particularly after the first week or so of regular runs. I tried to modify this year so you'd have some runs that go super quick (when you get lucky and get a book of all 15's or something), and then some that are a little longer (but still shorter than last year). I think the fixes to Declan help a lot in reducing run time when there are others running it too, since now it's not quite so much sitting around trying to figure out what the heck is going on :lol:
svengermin
Master Scribe

Post by svengermin »

For Sure! The body Guard Graphic is very fitting as well .... menacing! The fact that the book collection toggle stays up without having to push collect again is a major help too helps reduce mindless clicking :D
Red Rooster
Annachie
Elysium Beta Tester

Post by Annachie »

I would say that there is little difference, and that over all it's a little faster.
Character name: Ebony
Deadwerd
Elder Scribe

Post by Deadwerd »

The Harvest quest last year was my first seasonal quest I'd ever done on Excelsior, and I am very pleased with all the new additions and changes to the quest. Everything looks great, and all the rewards look even better. The vendor stone rewards are very exciting this time around, especially with the additions of the turkey spawner and the bangle. It was a great idea to make the vendor stone items non rewardable from runs, and keeping the currency for the vendor stone account bound makes everything worth so much more, adding to the economy and making it difficult to choose what to spend your Perfectly Preserved Leaves on.

I normally have some sort of complaint with the seasonal quests, but this one, I have 0 complaints. Perfect amount of time taken to run it, perfect reward graphics and variety, and perfect difficulty for newer players, as well as seasoned veterans alike.

Great job, staff! Looking forward to see how the Halloween quest turns out at this rate!
'Deadwerd' in game, 'Deadwerd' onstage.
culichi
Legendary Scribe

Post by culichi »

I have complaint :verymad:
im not getting my fair share of the spice!
GreenBar
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by GreenBar »

culichi wrote:im not getting my fair share of the spice!
Gaara
Legendary Scribe

Post by Gaara »

Annachie wrote:I love the randomness in the harvesting, and the extra crops.
Makes things a little more interesting. :)
I second this, the random crops also remove some traffic on spawns :nod:
Octavius Thorn
Elder Scribe

Post by Octavius Thorn »

Love the new changes to the quest. But one complaint I have is with the sheer amount of rewards available it is far too easy to get duplicates. But overall love the new stuffs :D
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

The size of the reward pool has nothing to do with how many, how likely, or if, you get duplicates.
GreenBar
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by GreenBar »

Octavius Thorn wrote:But one complaint I have is with the sheer amount of rewards available it is far too easy to get duplicates.
Octavius Thorn
Elder Scribe

Post by Octavius Thorn »

Alrighty I counted it up, out of 30 runs I have gotten duplicates 9 times which isn't bad I suppose I think it felt worse because 2 of the items I have gotten 3 times heh :D
AKAWilbur
Passer by

Post by AKAWilbur »

Quick question... Are the Fresh Well Water Barrels refillable?
Absynthe Silvis