Lockpicking Changes

Keep track of this topic. All announcements and short-term rules will be written here.
Opopanax
Legendary Scribe

Re: Lockpicking Changes

Post by Opopanax »

Interestingly, the blaze type locks from treasure chests are much more difficult to pick than the blaze locks in the dungeons. I had a lvl 4/5 (can't remember which) chest with a blaze lock and I burnt through all my iron picks pretty quickly, but the blaze locks in the dungeons present no problem with iron picks.

Looking for a decent way to get gains now as I'm at 110.00 lockpicking, but I guess it will be all from tmap chests from hereon out.
In game name: Abarai
SataniC
Passer by

Post by SataniC »

Hey guys...

Im new here...this is my first post/reply in the forum and i want to be here the most time.... im reading it all to learn...
im a old UO player... i used to play UO for 5 years...but this, more than 6 years ago....so som systems are quite confused for me....

so maybe my question is simple to solve and im a newbie in the Ex ( of course i am...8 days old!! :lookingout: )!!

But if anyone can help me...
how can i train lockpicking?
because i do lock some chests, but they seems locked Blaze...
and i dont have the skill to lockpick blaze locks!!

how can i lock a chest by iron lock? so i cant train more easily

thanks everyone...
[Glyph]
Legendary Scribe

Post by [Glyph] »

Welcome to Excelsior. Be sure to read back through the threads as they usually answer a lot of the questions. There have been some changes to LP lately. Buy the highest skill you can then ask around in World Chat as a few players have some chests set up to train at the lower levels. The very first post of this thread has the pertinent information about how it works, now it is up to you to put in the effort. :nod:
SataniC
Passer by

Post by SataniC »

[Glyph] wrote:Welcome to Excelsior. Be sure to read back through the threads as they usually answer a lot of the questions. There have been some changes to LP lately. Buy the highest skill you can then ask around in World Chat as a few players have some chests set up to train at the lower levels. The very first post of this thread has the pertinent information about how it works, now it is up to you to put in the effort. :nod:
Thanks a lot!!! Ill check it out!!
btw...the shard is awesome!! :)
pen43
Adept Scribe

Post by pen43 »

hi all
Thanks for info on levels skill but i need to ask about crafting the boxes to use for training lockpicking as i only seem to be able to make blaze locks not lower level so was wondering if there is a way to pick what lock you can have on a box or as i have high tinkering skill i will always make blaze locks. thanks for help in this matter . will also keep looking for any info on the forums
Why is the mistletoe hanging over the baggage counter?” asked the airline passenger, amid the holiday rush.

The clerk replied, “It’s so you can kiss your luggage good-bye.”

In Game Name :- penfold if you need to pm me anything
+Arden
Elder Scribe

Post by +Arden »

Lock levels when crafting containers has always been tied to the players tinkering skill, that being said picking which lock you want would be a neat feature.
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Post by Wil »

I crafted some lockpick training boxes way back when.

31.8 tinkering -> Shadow Iron Lock
57.9 tinkering -> Bronze Lock
70.2 tinkering -> Gold Lock
80 tinkering -> Agapite Lock
90.1 tinkering -> Agapite Lock
120 tinkering -> Blaze Lock

Lockpicking sure has changed. It look me months to get to 113. Tonight I macroed from 113 to 120 by picking a Blaze locked crafted box. In about 90 minutes. I guess LP is no longer the skill to save the skill ball for.
pen43
Adept Scribe

Post by pen43 »

+Arden wrote:Lock levels when crafting containers has always been tied to the players tinkering skill, that being said picking which lock you want would be a neat feature.
That would be great idea as with the old lot that have already got 120 tinkering before the changes can make boxes then for new players to train on or will lock picking training area that was in haven thieves guild be coming back for new players to use. with these changes and making lock picking harder I will defiantly be recommending new player get there lock picking to 60 and get a 120 PS and then use skill ball to get to 120 quick if they wont lock picking as a skill. but thanks +Arden for you quick response on the matter :idea: :idea: :idea:
+Arden should I add about picking which lock to the features request area for discussion among the staff
Why is the mistletoe hanging over the baggage counter?” asked the airline passenger, amid the holiday rush.

pen43
Adept Scribe

Post by pen43 »

Wil wrote:I crafted some lockpick training boxes way back when.

31.8 tinkering -> Shadow Iron Lock
57.9 tinkering -> Bronze Lock
70.2 tinkering -> Gold Lock
80 tinkering -> Agapite Lock
90.1 tinkering -> Agapite Lock
120 tinkering -> Blaze Lock

Lockpicking sure has changed. It look me months to get to 113. Tonight I macroed from 113 to 120 by picking a Blaze locked crafted box. In about 90 minutes. I guess LP is no longer the skill to save the skill ball for.
that's sound great may try it. What lock picks were you using??? but as for the chests when your at 120 tinkering already before the changes how do you craft the lower end boxes

Sir Blood
Elder Scribe

Post by Sir Blood »

You can create extra characters they come with the +skillball. Start out with whatever starting skill you want and allow for the skillball to be added to it
- - In game name:: Simply Delicious - -
Find my HUGE Rune LIbrary
- Main Floor Housegates
- Bottom SE corner, look for the black and white housegate tile (looks like a QR code you can scan)
Rune displayed @TC -- Far West Wall: Simply's
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Post by Wil »

Sir Blood wrote:You can create extra characters they come with the +skillball. Start out with whatever starting skill you want and allow for the skillball to be added to it
That's a pretty smart way to do it.

Char 1: start tinkering at 30, craft boxes until you get one with a key.
Char 2: start tinkering at 40, craft boxes until you get one with a key.
Char 3: start tinkering at 50, craft boxes until you get one with a key.
Char 4: start tinkering at 0, skill ball to 60
Char 5: start tinkering at 10, skill ball to 70
Char 6: start tinkering at 20, skill ball to 80
Char 7: start tinkering at 30, skill ball to 90
Char 8: start tinkering at 40, skill ball to 100
Main char: craft box with 120 tinkering

Have to wait a week between deleting characters or find a friend to work it with you and split the task. Maybe make multiple sets so you can sell lockpick training sets on a vendor.

Tip: rename the box's key with the carpentry and tinkering skill used to create it.
pen43
Adept Scribe

Post by pen43 »

sounds like a plan I might try that for now but could use the ones you start at 30 and 40 make boxes then add skill ball to get the higher ones and then saves deleting char to make them but also the other one is each one will need high enough carpentry as well