Beehive changes

Keep track of this topic. All announcements and short-term rules will be written here.
Yoda
Legendary Scribe

Re: Beehive changes

Post by Yoda »

and you also have another option don't do bees at all

even as a young player there are things you can do in a similar scope of playtime to bees that will earn you par with bees, easily without gear like mine, or 220 dex, etc that earn, I should know, that's where my character started a refusal to do bees, a refusal to milk ratquest for orgs, and with some creativity it outpaced bees for earnings.

I did this in an era where powerscrolls were 4x as expensive goc pieces were more expensive, and there was no mistvale. Overly pedantic point aside, if bees are causing you grief the way they are structured now.. no problem, no need to be negative in forums about it etc, since no one is forcing you to do bees, and bees are completely divorced from financial success on this shard.

so enjoy the bees, or do something else.
"they broke my macro" sounds pretty entitled.
Guildmaster: JDI - Est 2011
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

We're about to restart the server, with two important tweaks to the hives:
- Only the Agility and Cure potions give you the grey-spot gump. The other potions are applied immediately - there's no longer any red dots to click.
- Fixed issue where if you click the edge of the grey area, it thinks you clicked outside (the bounds is now calculated more precisely).
- Fixed the issue where your potion was still applied, even if you clicked the wrong spot (this was the case for the last 2 days). Now, if you do click wrong, the potion is consumed, but it does not get applied to the hive. And bees still get disturbed.

I think this project is now finished, but we're still open for input and might do a tweak or two more. There's also an idea (on the wishlist) to make the whole hive gump a bit more immersive, but I don't know when or if that will come into reality.
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)
Angel
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Angel »

thank you sincerely. the new changes make taking care of multiple hives a little easier. :D
Maze Scarlethart
Master Scribe

Post by Maze Scarlethart »

Thanks for changing all the gumps to the new design +C, as promised I gave them a try and I'm not mad about it. My hand does feel a little uncomfortable but not nearly as much as before, I will next time try to do my bees as soon as I get up rather than right after work like today (my bad, Ima dummy) I should be able to tend my bees macro-free just like in the old days before I messed up my poor hands... now you just need to fix harvesting :P
+Colibri wrote:
On the other hand, I see that many players according to activity logs (also confessions in this thread) - out of a sudden start clicking beehives at 200msec delays, and then go idle again. Keep in mind that bees produce quite an income. So I hope all those macros are at least running with the player looking.
I will admit that I am 100% guilty of turning on my macro, tending my bees and then going idle again. However since I never managed to find a reliable script I had to babysit it constantly because it would stop at random so yes I was watching it. :)

Anyhow, thanks again for making beekeeping not so terrible for those with carpal tunnel!
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Post by Wil »

Hi Folks,

I haven't had any further problems disturbing the bees even when clicking in the center where it could reasonably be two dark spots overlapping so it looks like the bug I saw yesterday is fixed.

The script I posted can be used with minor edits so I'll leave it to y'all to make them. Basically, you'll need to:

Change agility to call HivePicture instead of ClickRedDots

Create a SimpleClick function that clicks an x,y position and then waits for the colony gump to reappear. Start with a copy of ClickRedDots and then strip out the stuff that waits for the hive gump and looks for the red dots.

Change Poison, Heal and Strength to call SimpleClick instead of ClickRedDots

Remove the mouse reposition call and the 5 second delay from HivePicture

The rough theory of operation for the HivePicture function is this:

1. Capture the image of the hive.
2. Shrink the image of the hive. Shrinking blurs the pixels together into an image containing solid bright and solid dark regions.
3. Collapse the dynamic range of the shrunk image (i.e. turn the contrast way up) so that pixels are either dark or light but nothing in between.
4. Find a dark pixel in the shrunk version. Walk around the dark pixel counting the total nearby dark pixels and stopping when the light pixels are hit.
5. Average the x and y coordinates of each dark pixel to find the center of the dark area.
6. Repeat until the entire image is scanned and the largest region of dark pixels identified.
7. Click the center of the largest region of dark pixels.

Regards,
Wil
Miranda Ventrata
Elder Scribe

Post by Miranda Ventrata »

While still on topic of Beehive changes, I will leave the gump thing be, its done. :) However perhaps have a feature that turns off the beehive animation if the beehive needs potions? The bees are gonna be sick, out of energy, and dealing with pests, so they wouldn't be all jolly buzzing around the hive. Also it would make it MUCH easier for doing them by hand, if I didn't have to double click the hive 666 times because i keep clicking the animation heh. Also a visual representation of my progress would greatly help as the animations turned back on, i know those hives would be done for the day. Otherwise I keep double checking the hives like 3 or 4 times to make sure they are all done. Human memory isn't all that great, so if it isn't automated anymore, running by and see no animations, is a great reminder, ohhhh i need to take care of my BEEES!!!
IdMtnGal
Novice Scribe

Post by IdMtnGal »

Miranda Ventrata wrote:While still on topic of Beehive changes, I will leave the gump thing be, its done. :) However perhaps have a feature that turns off the beehive animation if the beehive needs potions? The bees are gonna be sick, out of energy, and dealing with pests, so they wouldn't be all jolly buzzing around the hive. Also it would make it MUCH easier for doing them by hand, if I didn't have to double click the hive 666 times because i keep clicking the animation heh. Also a visual representation of my progress would greatly help as the animations turned back on, i know those hives would be done for the day. Otherwise I keep double checking the hives like 3 or 4 times to make sure they are all done. Human memory isn't all that great, so if it isn't automated anymore, running by and see no animations, is a great reminder, ohhhh i need to take care of my BEEES!!!

Great idea!
In game: Kari Olrun (formerly known as Adeleide)
I used to be an adventurer like you....
Gaara
Legendary Scribe

Post by Gaara »

Miranda Ventrata wrote:However perhaps have a feature that turns off the beehive animation
You can do this with easyuo btw :P
Miranda Ventrata
Elder Scribe

We are trying to get away from macros on bees. If i need to fire up he macro thingy for the animations, might as well start the potion one too :P
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Post by Wil »

Wil wrote:I haven't had any further problems disturbing the bees even when clicking in the center where it could reasonably be two dark spots overlapping so it looks like the bug I saw yesterday is fixed.
Nope, I was wrong: still bugged. The following click produced "You spill the potion over a healthy part of the hive and disturb the bees."

-Wil
Fiacha
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Fiacha »

Just posting to say I am having the same issue Wil is. I don't know, I think I am doing it right, but then it says I disturbed them XD Idk maybe I am doing something wrong...
dreamstalker
Legendary Scribe

Post by dreamstalker »

i click in the center of each circle not where they join and i have yet to see that message that i disturbed the hive
I keep a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin! just cause you aint paranoid doesnt mean they aint after you
Fiacha
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Fiacha »

dreamstalker wrote:i click in the center of each circle not where they join and i have yet to see that message that i disturbed the hive
I wish I understood what this means :(
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Post by Wil »

These also failed, this time with the message, "The bees scatter around frantically, they do not seem to appreciate what you did."

ImageImage
Miranda Ventrata
Elder Scribe

Gotta find a large cluster of grey, and click a grey dot that isn't near any yellow.