Treasure Hunting Update (v2)

Keep track of this topic. All announcements and short-term rules will be written here.
+Requiem
Legendary Scribe

Treasure Hunting Update (v2)

Post by +Requiem »

Ok, so one of the treasure hunting updates has finally arrived! You will have a chance to find unique collections in every single level treasure map.

All together, we added over 150 unique items to level 1-8 treasure map chests.

+C said he has found and squashed the tenacity bug, so please do try out those pieces of gear once again.

The lockpicking system has been updated as well to incorporate a timer, similar to the new crafting systems.
Lockpicks made of different materials will make your job easier or more difficult, depending on the difficulty
of the chest you are trying to unlock, and your skill.

Basically, each map has it's own difficulty, which is then added to the 'level' of the lockpick. So, using an ice lockpick
will have different results than using a platinum lockpick on the same chest. You may also notice your lockpicks breaking
more often on more difficult chests.

The monsters difficulty was tweaked slightly, to hopefully provide a bit more challenge on level 7's and 8s.

Cartography has been updated to match the lockpicking requirements of the maps, so you should no longer be able to decode a map
unless you have the appropriate skill.

Level 6 chests no longer have a 100% chance to drop artifacts, but level 8 chests do.

To help compensate for this, you should find yourself getting maps more frequently inside chests.

You will also notice an experience bonus from any monsters killed by a levelable weapon while treasure hunting.

Hope you enjoy this update! Anything that seems odd, please send a help request so we can fix it.

Please try to keep most discussion to this thread where possible, as it pertains to the updates and changes.
+Colibri
Administrator

Re: Treasure Hunting Update (v2)

Post by +Colibri »

Something that got forgotten, I think it was intended at first that a level 7 chest requires you to have more than 120 lockpicking - you would have to use the bonus lockpicking gear (the lesser ones of +1 skill should suffice), which is found in the level 6 chests. And then level 8 chests require you to have multiple pieces of lockpicking gear (the greater ones that give +3 skill each, which are found in level 7 maps).

Also, the current chances of spawning a next-level map need some rework. They rely on luck, and that's good, but with 0 luck there's 0% chance to get a next-level treasuremap. Also, i think they're still too low (for an average player) so that's something we'll likely increase.
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)
Gaara
Legendary Scribe

Post by Gaara »

Yay, finally! Thank you, can't wait to go diggin' 8)
Achaus
Journeyman Scribe

Post by Achaus »

+Requiem wrote:
Basically, each map has it's own difficulty, which is then added to the 'level' of the lockpick. So, using an ice lockpick
will have different results than using a platinum lockpick on the same chest. You may also notice your lockpicks breaking
more often on more difficult chests.
Added to level of lockpick...

Does this mean the loot will be different based on pick used?
Blathzar
Elder Scribe

Post by Blathzar »

Howdy!

I was wondering if already deciphered tmaps will still work as is and merge with the new system once the chest has been dug out ? Or only tattered ones are going to work properly?

Also, i'd like to thanks +R and +C on this as i've been waiting for this to happen. I cant wait to get back from work so i can start working on those new lockpicks and chests :)
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

Does this mean the loot will be different based on pick used?
No, it only has an effect on the lockpicking duration (depending on what material the lockpick is made of). Your skill determines the chance to succeed in picking it.
I was wondering if already deciphered tmaps will still work as is and merge with the new system once the chest has been dug out ? Or only tattered ones are going to work properly?
I haven't tested this out, but in theory the chest is created at the time of digging, so maps aren't "aware" whether they have been deciphered before or after the update.
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)
patrix
Elder Scribe

Post by patrix »

Well I thought I would try making lockpicks from all different materials, which in fact i did. Regardless of the metal used I consistently got the message 'You barely managed to make the *lockpick* and its quality is below average/poor'. Not the exact words but close enough. My tinkering is 120.
It sort of seems reasonable to get that message on plat items, but on plain old iron as well? Seems very odd.
Do we now have to use runic tool kits to make lockpicks?
I am rather confused about the intent here as +tinker gear seems to only sell at auctions at pretty ott prices so raising my tink skills above 120 doesn't appear to be an option for me.

Some clarification would be great
ty
Michi
Michiko in game

A woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle..
Irina Dunn
Annachie
Elysium Beta Tester

Post by Annachie »

+R said in WC that there is no quality on lockpicks.

Sounds more like you are hitting a bug in the crafting of them.
Character name: Ebony
Miranda Ventrata
Elder Scribe

Post by Miranda Ventrata »

I think there may be quality or something on the picks. Using the iron ones, they keep breaking one after the other. I have close to 120 if not 120 LP. Never had them break like this before. Maybe 1 in 20 chests would break, now I use 5 per chest. I am fine with this, just letting you know in case it not supposed to happen. I am happy to make better quality ones if that is what is needed.
Blathzar
Elder Scribe

Post by Blathzar »

As far as i know, the better the material and the less often those lockpick will break. Also your lockpick will break more often on higher difficulty chests. I break many on level 5+ (platinum lockpicks) but i did break 2 doing abour 80 level 1 maps. thats how it is now i guess.
+Requiem
Legendary Scribe

Post by +Requiem »

As far as I know, there is no quality on the lockpick. You either make it or you don't. So the message that you barely made it, is just that. You still made the lockpick, and it's the same as the lockpick you would make if you did not get that message.

They can't to my knowledge be made exceptional, so they are all normal.

As you go up the material list, the lockpicks are more durable. IE: Platinum will break less than iron.
Fist
Elder Scribe

Post by Fist »

Is there a bug in the Hiryu (Devious Fel) 19 of 33?
Miranda Ventrata
Elder Scribe

Post by Miranda Ventrata »

There is likely an error on my part. I will try and find out where the mistake is.
+Arden
Elder Scribe

Post by +Arden »

The quality thing is only a text bug that can happen sometimes with the old crafting system it should go away once we upgrade as far as i know.
+Arden
Elder Scribe

Post by +Arden »

Looked in to the Hiryu and yes it shoudnt look like that :) will get fixed with a restart