Spring Deco Contest

Keep track of this topic. All announcements and short-term rules will be written here.
TeslaElectra
Grandmaster Scribe

Re: Spring Deco Contest

Post by TeslaElectra »

Thanks for the update, Nyx! :D
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Now that it appears that I'm not about to shuffle off this mortal coil, I'm looking forward to seeing all the entries. I hear yours is spectacular, TeslaE
TeslaElectra
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by TeslaElectra »

That's awesome to hear! I sure hope the GM's think so as well :D
svengermin
Master Scribe

Post by svengermin »

She has done a very god job! IMO :D thx for the info +NYX
Red Rooster
Slymenstrah
Apprentice Scribe

Post by Slymenstrah »

Woohoo! - Yes, Tesla has done a very good job on her entry! (hope i have too!), looking forward to seeing what everyone has done.
(hope your feeling better +N!)
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

I am feeling a bit better yes, thank you :)

Bad enough to find out as a 30-something that I have a congenital heart defect and then develop chronic conditions like migraines, but then for +V to work in a school and thus be bringing home all sorts of new and wonderful germs regularly, total insult to injury... :lol:
TeslaElectra
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by TeslaElectra »

Thank you guys!! Both of you have amazing houses as well! Can't wait to hear the results for bracket 2, it's a close call!
Alex
Legendary Scribe

Post by Alex »

Your houses are no match for my Glorious Pony Oasis! Muahahah!
Sethra Lavode
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Sethra Lavode »

+Nyx, I never new pinkeye, scabies, or head lice until I had kids going to school. I have learned much in those areas. The biggest thing being it takes a butt load of planning and laundry to wipe it all out...and if you catch any of it, it's that much worse. Feel better - and UO can wait. :nod:
Starfish & coffee, maple syrup & jam. Butterscotch clouds & a tangerine, side order of ham.
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Luckily we haven't had any of those issues, but his school frequently gets kids transferring in from other areas, other states, and even other countries, so the cold and flu germs are insaaaane. I get them a lot more often now that he's around, but he's worth it :lol:
Yoda
Legendary Scribe

Post by Yoda »

I loved what Red Rooster did on a concept and excution level that impressed me great entries this time around I don't envy the jury..

Red I am happy to have seen that, next time you could do rembrant =)

slymenstrah did an amazing job, it was just generally impressive so good job everyone.
Guildmaster: JDI - Est 2011
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

The results are in!

This contest was a little odd, since bracket one only had two entries, both of which were better than several of the bracket 2 entries and one of which was exceptional even among the bracket 2 entries. Thus, I combined the brackets and judging was performed on all entries in a single group.

I updated the rules for next time to account for this sort of situation, but I'm also planning to change how the brackets work for next time. I think I will try a contest in June or July with the new bracket styles to see how they work. I'm also trying to figure out a way for the players to place their own gates so that it wouldn't be so time consuming for me. I've got an idea about possibly having the entrants place a house to house gate or making a new area that works like the current house gates, where an entrant would "buy" a teleporter tile in this area in order to enter. I think that would require coding from the guys and since I've been (im)patiently waiting for the plant bods system to be ready for beta since November I'd rather not distract them any more than absolutely necessary. :lol:

Okay, enough with the boring crap, let's get to the good stuff!

Winners for this contest are:

First Place: We had a tie! Red Rooster (Monet painting the lilies) & Tesla Electra (Alice in Wonderland)
This really goes to show you how exceptional Tesla E's entry was. Tesla, definitely join the higher bracket next time, your entry was far better than the majority of the bracket 2 entries and your talent is clearly on par with our most deco-gifted vets. Your theme was obvious on casual glance even before seeing the NPCs and the attention to detail was a lovely thing to see.

Red, your entry was a glorious array of cleverly styled plants and landscape and I loved how much you managed to do with a relatively small amount of space.

Second Place: Slymenstrah (The Secret Garden - book version)

Third Place: Davmustin (Warrior's resting place)

It was very close for third place, Miranda Ventrata's garden of Eden received positive attention as well.

I hope everyone had fun! I'll be sending out the reward bags shortly - these will include a little deco item for all participants as well as the usual sign, but in addition to that all of the winners will receive an extra little item on top of their ED winnings and banner. These items are a new thing that I figured out how to do and which were suggested by one of our regular participants, so I hope you enjoy them :)
TeslaElectra
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by TeslaElectra »

Nyx,
Thank you so much!! I really appreciate that! I will take your advice for the next contest. To be honest, I somewhat regretted entering in bracket 1. But I also got a little nervous when I saw the gate area was no longer in brackets, haha! Rooster and Sly are some heavy competition to go against. This was a lot of fun though and I hope to participate in future house deco contests.

Congratulations Rooster, Sly and Dav!!
Athena Tenebris
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Athena Tenebris »

Congrats to All :)
MissDemeaner
Passer by

Post by MissDemeaner »

Congrats Tesla!! Yours was amazing!

Everyone had great gardens and I loved the creativity everyone put forth, there were really some excellent ideas that I may have to steal when decorating my own place :wink:

WTG all participants!! And thank you +N for the event and the awesome prizes :D